• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    I'm looking at ARs in pistol calibers, especially 9mms. Would this ever be safe in a indoor range? Would this ever be allowed?

Thanks

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Why would it not be safe? All ranges should allow the use of 9mm carbines, regardless of variant.

Most if not all restrictions at ranges are geared towards types of ammunition, not the actual firearm

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I put linear comps on my .40 S&W and .357 SIG ARs and the shooters on either side of me have commented on the bark and light but it is not an issue for the shooter. I would imagine if the barrels were significantly shorter than 16" the sound and light show would be a bit more impressive. Double hearing protection takes care of most issues for me when shooting indoors.

martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    I'm from NY. Sometimes even a 22 rifle would still get scrutinized(but still allowed).

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The only issue at some pistol ranges is that if they just have a ledge or counter at the shooting lane you have no place to safely put down a carbine during a ceasefire.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    9mm ARs have less blast and noise than 9mm pistols due to longer barrel lengths. Any velocity gain would be meaningless to the backstop rating. It would be hard to imagine a range vetoing them for any reason beyond like what traveler said (and even then... just put it on the ground, problem solved).

I regularly shoot ~11.5" 5.56/7.62x39 rifles, and I don't think the blast is all that much to write home about, even with a brake. When you move up to 308 or into the ~7.5" 5.56 territory, that's when you start really feeling it IMHO.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The only issue at some pistol ranges is that if they just have a ledge or counter at the shooting lane you have no place to safely put down a carbine during a ceasefire.

This is the first thing I thought about, I've shot plenty of pistol caliber rifles (22, 30 Carbine, 45LC, 357 levers) at On Target. Plan out how you will set it down and reload. Case you guy for certain, set it down muzzle facing down range on top of your gun case when you need to. Don't try to balance it on those skinny tables. On Target at least used to have a 9mm AR15 they would rent out.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If they don't allow it, it's a garbage range and you need to go elsewhere.

^ this.

All ranges I know allow Pistol Caliber Carbines, or AR pistols, somehow. Even ones like On Target that don't allow rifle cartridges still allow PCC. AGC does not allow PCC or pistol caliber ARs on the 50 yd range because the table is not deep enough and has a ledge - but they are allowed on the 100yd range.

I believe all indoor ranges allow them. If it didn't, id go somewhere else.

And... MD is not NY yet, so you wont get "scrutinized".

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    No problems taking a 9mm AR to almost any indoor pistol range. The round does not suddenly become unsafe when used in a longer barrel and my 10.5" is very quiet compared to any of my handguns and tons of fun to shoot.

I will generally load my mags before going to the range so reloading is not an issue. If you patronize a range that insists you use your range time to load mags, just load them before uncasing the AR.

Ilexopaca

Mar 4, 2012
    I've shot my pistol caliber rifles indoors at Continental Arms in Timonium. Useful for function testing and sighting in, fun too.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    If anything the pistol round being shot through a rifle would be more accurate than shooting through a pistol, which would reduce the likelihood of off-target damaging the target mechanisms and such.

ytmndan

Feb 14, 2017
    Every indoor range I've been to allows 5.56. Don't see why 9mm would be an issue. A 9mm carbine should be quieter than most 9mm handguns, since more powder is burnt off before the bullet clears the muzzle. My local range allows up to .308 Lapua. Indoors.

Last edited:

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    Ranges all have their own rules. Call the one closest to you and ask. I haven't run across any in the mid-Atlantic area that prohibit 9mm rifles, as of yet.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Even Select Fire in Glen Burnie allows pistol caliber carbines. If any range was going to disallow it, it would be Select Fire.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To the contrary , one of the significant selling points of 9mm ( and many other PCC) is that they Could be used at indoor shooting ranges aka Pistol Ranges .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom