• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    .This was contained in an Alert from VCDL:

3. This is ridiculous: VSP is taking SIX MONTHS to issue non-resident CHPs!

A VCDL member from outside of Virginia sent me an email chain where Ada Wade with the Virginia State Police (VSP) said:

"We process the applications in the order in which they are received. A renewal goes through the same process as an initial application. Currently, due to the extreme volume of applications, from start to finish, you are looking at a 6 month process total. We do not issue extensions."

Words fail me, but hopefully the General Assembly won't as we will fight to get this fixed next year. There is NO reason that VSP can't issue non-resident permits in 45 days or less, just like the localities do. Perhaps McAuliffe has ordered VSP to slow down the process to a crawl, I don't know. Either way, the law needs to be changed so that such a thing can never happen and no one is force to wait for SIX MONTHS.

obviously not acceptable and apparently being addressed.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1. Resident Permit workload is divided up among the various counties and Independent Cities. Non-Resident are handled by Va State Police, apparently with static staffing level regardless of volume .

2. Non-Resident don't have the ear of a State Legislator to gripe to .

But you would think VSP would be motivated to speed up processing, at least at times to reduce backlog, since it is a money maker for them. Maybe they figure the demand is captive audience, no matter how long it takes.

But I disagree . I both see the value of redundent Permits, and potential school zone benefits of having a Permit from state I acually spend a lot of time . But with other Non-Resident Permits recognized by Va taking well less than a month , lots of people will go that route instead.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You can be assured that this Democrat governor has told the VSP to walk the dog on these permits. There's no other reason for that long of a delay.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I could see the current Gov wanting to be petty over this . But with so many other Permits having reciprosity, plus OC , the main net effect is reducing income/ net profits to the state .

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Non resident permits are issued by the VSP and look like a drivers license. The 45 day issue requirement does not apply to non resident permits.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    As a Virginia resident..mine took 38 days total and they don't laminate the cheap paper card..now looking for a shop who does a DL quality laminate..

Mine is also a flimsy paper permit that I had to laminate. The new permits being issued now are hard plastic.

Cyndi59

Went to the Fairfax County Courthouse on the 3rd floor..they sent me a letter from the Clerk's office,would had received it earlier but in a rush forgotten to tick one of the boxes..but yes..a flimsy no less..I just received mine last month from the courthouse,signed by a judge..you would had thought they would had looked better on a DL type card or laminated..where did you go to get yours laminated.Just these would hardly last a year openly and rubbing against other cards..

Draco20

Apr 20, 2013
    MoCo
    6 months seems to be holding true. Submitted my paperwork at the end of October. Didn't receive a response until December that my paperwork was accepted and is being processed. Response stated that it would take between 90 and 180 days.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Wow , somehow i am skeptical and feel there are driving forces behind the delay . I just replaced my dated tin-foil with a new lighter version .

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    6 months seems to be holding true. Submitted my paperwork at the end of October. Didn't receive a response until December that my paperwork was accepted and is being processed. Response stated that it would take between 90 and 180 days.

Yup - It seems to be the same for me since I submit in December.
    Got confirmation from them in Jan and I think I should get mine by April.

moparmike610

Feb 28, 2017
    Hughesville
    I just got mine in the mail yesterday, I sent the package in the 2nd week of August 2017 and got a letter in October stating they got my app and payment etc , definitely taking the 6 months

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    I just got mine in the mail yesterday, I sent the package in the 2nd week of August 2017 and got a letter in October stating they got my app and payment etc , definitely taking the 6 months

Same here, mailed mine mid-August and finally received it yesterday.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'm behind the curve, didn't realize mine is up in May and just sent for the packet yesterday. Fortunately I have multiple permits to give me coverage in VA until the new one arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom