Ruger GP100 Barrel length....4 or 6 inch?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Hi Everyone,

My next purchase is going to be a Ruger GP100. I have spent months trying out every .357 revolver I can get my hands on. I decided that I simply love the GP100. I love the way it feels in my hand, the way it shoots, and the way it looks. Now the question is....4" or 6" barrel? I have shot both and this is what I learned. The 6 inch's recoil is lighter than the 4 inch's but yet they are both very manageable. They both fit well in my hand and have a good weight balance. They both cost the same. I found myself accurate with both at 25 yards but more accurate with the 6" at longer distances. The 4" weighs less and is more "portable". Now this gun will not be used for anything other than a range gun and maybe Home Defense if I can't get to my 870 quick enough. I will also not be doing any hunting of any sort. I simply just want a .357 revolver. Having said that, what do you guys think? Any experience with either? Any noticeable differences I didn't mention or didn't look for? P.S. I am not ashamed to also say that the 6" GP100 looks a little more bad ass than the 4". Any suggestions and/or personal thoughts are appreciated.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The 6" looks a little nicer, especially blued with the rosewood inset grips. The 4" fits in range bags a bit better and I have enough damn huge revolvers without adding another one. Either way it's an excellent choice.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I love the GP-100 I don't have my own yet but grew up shooting my dads 6in stainless with the older wood and rubber grips and loved it. Personally I will get a 6in as they look better, IMO feel better and are more accurate.

Edit: :popcorn:

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    4"

/thread

:)

In all seriousness, I personally think the 4" GP100 is probably my favorite double action revolver by a long shot. For some reason the proportions just strike me as perfect with a 4". While the 6" is nice, I personally just prefer the 4".

Hynes57

Aug 4, 2010
    Charles Town, WV
    6 inches will be great for the range but may be a little unwieldy in close quarters. I like the 4 inch myself I have held a 5 inch as well. The 4 felt less nose heavy. You should look for the 5 inch.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    6 inches will be great for the range but may be a little unwieldy in close quarters. I like the 4 inch myself I have held a 5 inch as well. The 4 felt less nose heavy. You should look for the 5 inch.
    Thanks everyone. To be honest, I didn't even know they made a 5". Please keep the suggestions coming. Other than my personal preferences, MDS has always been a huge factor in my purchasing decisions.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Thanks everyone. To be honest, I didn't even know they made a 5". Please keep the suggestions coming. Other than my personal preferences, MDS has always been a huge factor in my purchasing decisions.

from wiki

Barrel lengths: 3" (76mm), 4" (102mm), 5" (127mm), and 6" (152mm) The run of 5" GP100 revolvers was the result of a special request from a large distributor.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I like where you're head's at pal...I would love to have that revolver (4" flavor). I REALLY like the 686 I shot a while back (thanks Lax). Good luck with your purchase, I look forward to test driving it for ya :D:thumbsup:

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I like where you're head's at pal...I would love to have that revolver (4" flavor). I REALLY like the 686 I shot a while back (thanks Lax). Good luck with your purchase, I look forward to test driving it for ya :D:thumbsup:
    It's a couple of months away but you know you're always welcome to "test drive" any of my guns bro.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    I use mine (6") mainly as a range gun and it is fantastic. I have shot the 4" and it was pretty similar, but I like the longer sight radius and looks of the 6". If you're really torn buy both. ;)

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Get the 6". It will make smacking 100yd gongs seem easy. Making barrel length decisions sucks so I got a Dan Wesson. I set up the 10" barrel with a douglas tube and a scope. The 6"for modified and the 4" for misc carry.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I bought my 4" S S at kensington gun and train (now engage) in 1992.
    Still got the sales slip! $ 4 inch.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I really hope for the sake of everyone there that Maryland will become a "shall issue" state. That said, you can reasonably carry a 4" concealed, but the 6" will be a lot tougher. I'd vote the 4" if you don't get both.

Jim

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I've got the 3" and 4". The 4" is a wondedrful, all around, general purpose gun which can handle almost any chore or ammo you throw at it. Great to shoot .357 all day long.

For CCW, the 3" rules and can also handle a steady diet of .357 without killing you hand.

I prefer the my GPs to S&Ws M19/66 in 2.5 and 4 as blasphemous as it is to the Followers of Jordan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom