• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    Guess time will tell. I'd bet that Gutpile's neighbor is working on a legal document right now.................
    V

Sep 27, 2019
    Trappe, MD
    Good post dgough.

A simple trespass thread, which has an easy answer, has brought out the "hate" that we now know lies in MDS. More like a moms demand action forum post. I have a range I can walk to on a neighbors property, their neighbors hunt a full 200 yds away and got pissed I was shooting (actually while deer are grazing nearby watching me) so we coordinated days, have a meeting every year, call out DNR just to talk and alleviate their concerns during the actual season. Easy Peasy, one has to love a friendly neighborhood.

Many fail to see the movement to remove firearms from citizens and if they were to get this thread posted to a newspaper you could bet they would try to make more laws seeing the aggressive nature of gun owners over a simple trespass incident. That is all this is, a trespass, don't push it to the next level in such a fashion. Or go ahead, poke the Bloomberg/Soros hornets nest.

You are right of course. That is the prudent and reasonable way to look at the situation, and caution is called for in the current political and social environment. And this person sounds like just like the type to try to elevate this issue with GutPile, and publicize it to gain support for her position (see GutPile’s post #30 and the reference to https://www.marketwatch.com/story/what-americas-gun-fanatics-wont-tell-you-2016-06-14 ).

The mention of Bloomberg/Soros does point to the kind of concerns we need to be aware of, focus on, and prepare for. But the situation certainly is a bit irritating, albeit part of the new realities these days. At the risk of overreaching, doesn’t it feel a little like we are having to curb our speech, that otherwise would be well protected by the First Amendment, in the cause of not losing rights granted by the Second Amendment? But I agree, we have to be about strategy and tactics now, not feelings. And support the NRA.

I apologize for the topic creep.

njjr1989

May 29, 2017
    I confess that I have not read this entire thread. Too long for me. My advice would be to simply ignore the email and continue doing what you have always done. No need to acknowledge his correspondence.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    No response so far. Will see how it goes. I might sit at that location this weekend with my bow.

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    No response so far. Will see how it goes. I might sit at that location this weekend with my bow.

I hope it goes well. If you actually see the neighbor, my suggestion is to go say hello with a smile.

You sound like someone who I would like to have as a neighbor. Many of the posters on this thread, I just hope I never have to deal with... We all feel that quick anger when someone acts like your neighbor did... Grownups and good neighbors (like yourself) can get beyond that.

If I had a neighbor that started acting like many on here suggest, I would make it my personal mission to make their life as difficult as you are going out of your way to make mine. Let's see who has the better lawyer and deeper pocket if you want to play that game.

Cheers to you for how you've handled this so far.
    Here's to peace between neighbors...where possible.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I hope it goes well. If you actually see the neighbor, my suggestion is to go say hello with a smile.

You sound like someone who I would like to have as a neighbor. Many of the posters on this thread, I just hope I never have to deal with... We all feel that quick anger when someone acts like your neighbor did... Grownups and good neighbors (like yourself) can get beyond that.

If I had a neighbor that started acting like many on here suggest, I would make it my personal mission to make their life as difficult as you are going out of your way to make mine. Let's see who has the better lawyer and deeper pocket if you want to play that game.

Have dealt with worse. One day I will tell the tale of the Lorax. A crazy neighbor who thinks removing dead dangerous trees on my property is raping the forest.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    There's a good chance I may know the farm and better chance they know me and I would gladly talk horse with them and bring up hunting season in a round about way but since the title already states you know they are anti gun and anti hunting I doubt it would go well, for being hunter friendly neighbors that is.

Funny, on our farm, on cold winter mornings, I can see deer sitting down for the day and a neighbors deer stand within 50' (feet) from the fence line, 35' from our property line. anyway, hope this works out.

Attachments

• IMG_4411.jpg
      IMG_4411.jpg
      125.2 KB · Views: 852

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member

The problem with that Woody is that you never really know who your F*&^ing with till you do. Some things are just better left alone from the start for which the antagonist in this occurrence did not adequately strategize their position from the onset. They were never directly harmed or have been at all up to this point by gut pile doing his own thing.

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    The problem with that Woody is that you never really know who your F*&^ing with till you do. Some things are just better left alone from the start for which the antagonist in this occurrence did not adequately strategize their position from the onset. They were never directly harmed or have been at all up to this point by gut pile doing his own thing.

This is true on both sides, which is why I suggest the OP de-bogeyman himself by walking over with a smile and his hand extended. The fact that the neighbor did not do this is a shame, and though his/her ham handed method of handling it thus far has not been ideal, it doesn't mean the OP can't make the decision to at least attempt in good faith to de-escalate the situation, so he and the neighbor can have greater overall peace in their tiny corner of the world.

Give people room to be less than perfect...who knows what personal issues or history there may be that could irrationally impact this person? Maybe go and ask and talk about it...

To many, it simply seems like a childish excuse to be as much of a pain in the ass as possible...because that's your right.

Hey...thats great and all...but I just hope you are in a different part of the county than I am.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    This woman's situation was perfect until she had to involve someone else unnecessarily. This sort of behavior is indicative of someone who has gone out of the way to involve themselves in some one else's private matter for no other reason but to impart their personal moral sentiments upon another and then project what could go wrong before it actually occurred.
    Mr. Gut pile has no responsibility to substantiate his prerogative to this person for any reason whatsoever.
    I live in a part of the county that all persons know each other to some extent including additional family members, respect each others individuality, and are forgiving for temporary tress-pass when no harm is intended. The people are hardworking, loyal and with worth that should not be judged by the type of vehicle they drive, where they worship or how they dress and enjoy leisure time.

AACO_Salami

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 12, 2019
    Hell, with that mentality, OP should just give their land away to the horse owner, and move on into town.

My suggestion would be to always put yourself in the other persons shoes. In this day and age you dont know these people well. Therein lies the potential for escalation and you become a statistic. Move your stand, tell them no problem at all you were unaware and you love horses. Why you ask? Horse people have lots of Money! Your deer stand being the reason he gets a top notch litigator who drains your wallet for the sake of his client to torment you with litegius actions. On your property or not his liability is more valuable than yours and he knows it. Moral of the story...never muck with Horse owners.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    So far its been dark. I have noticed fewer horses in the fields near my stand. Doesn't make a difference since I don't have a horse tag. All other neighbors can't wait for some backstraps. I think this will end up being a non issue that might resurface in another few years. The additional no trespassing signs I spent the weekend putting up should get the point across.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Only response from my muzzle loader shot that took a 2 1/2 year old six pointer was a text from my neighbor that I better get some backstraps over to him. Closest horse was 600 yards away. It was more concerned about the noise from the combines nearby.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Just heard a muzzleloader go off on the farm nearby.

Sadly they are selling most of it off and turning it in to 17 homes.

About half a mile from my house. Former owner of my house hunts the property (he is friends with the owners). Probably last season it can be hunted. They break ground I think in the spring or summer once the plans are approved.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Took a turn for the weird. Neighboring property is hunted by another group that has permission from the land owners and i give them permission on my property. They also butt up to horse farmer’s now empty crop fields. They went in yesterday and 2 really nice hangons and climbing sticks were gone with tracks leading to the farm. Speculated that the farm manager decided to help himself. The farmer denied knowing anything when the hunter confronted them. Then a few hours later the farm manager (guilt?worried about charges) dropped the stands off. Excuse that he thought they were on the farm’s land. They werent. So now they are trespassing onto other neighbors and stealing/taking down tree stands. Personally i would have filed charges. He is trying to diffuse things since he isn't the land owner and only has permission. So time to lock my stuff down.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    You should have been more sympathetic to their plight and tried to reason with them until they understood your position when they first came on you.
    It takes a county for everyone to get along when it comes to hunting.
    (just being sarcastic)

I would still go with the alfalfa hay and ask them to take one rail off for two sections of fence strategy.
    By understanding that you can fill your tags quicker the frequency of danger to the horses will be reduced to a more tolerable level.

Next thing you know your stuff may be gone or sabotaged unknowingly to you which can get someone hurt going up a tree. Every-bodies nuts this time of year when it comes to hunting and property lines. Same stuff every year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom