• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wvuguy

Mountain Man
    Jan 23, 2012
    Garrett County
    i am new to this site. i am wondering about ar-15 laws. i am 18 years old and want to get into ar-15 shooting. does it have to be a hbar to be non-regulated. i see on smith and wesson they have compliant ar-15 that meet Maryland law standards with fixed stocks and no flash supressors and no mention of hbar. Does that mean the gun is regulated too? or do i have to find a gun with hbar on it?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    You're young, move to a free state.

To answer your question, in .223, yes, it must be an HBAR if it uses an AR-15 lower to be not regulated.

Other options however include weapons that are not AR-15's.

AR-10
    Kel-tec SU-16's
    Bushmaster ACR
    FN-SCAR 16
    etc.

All not regulated.

"i see on smith and wesson they have compliant ar-15 that meet Maryland law standards with fixed stocks and no flash supressors and no mention of hbar."

Unfortunately, there is no universally accepted definition of what an "HBAR" really is... YMMV.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    If it doesn't have "HBAR" stamped on the barrel, it is regulated. MD compliant just means it comes with a 10 or 20 rd mag instead of 30. As suggested above, I'd look elsewhere just to avoid any gray area or confusion. My first .223 I got when I was 18 was a Ruger Mini-14. While it's not a tack driver, it is a fun reliable .223, and can be made every bit as tacti-cool as an AR; and by our goofy laws it's not regulated.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    If you have to have one now just get a Colt or Bushmaster HBAR . The extra weight is barely noticeable and they will accept all the same accessories a regular profile barrel will .

I have 2 HBARs and one regulated . One shoots just as good as the other .

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    haha those dang liberal law makers dont understand anything down in annapolis

Nope.
    This hunk of metal is regulated:
    images

This (my)rifle is not:
    6467907493_0449254354.jpg

Well technically it would be now since I put a folding stock on :innocent0

wvuguy

Mountain Man
    Jan 23, 2012
    Garrett County
    i am a newbie on this stuff. i have a remington 597 7600 and a 870 and wanted to get into ar-15. maybe i need to move across the potomac and live in West Virginia.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    If it doesn't have "HBAR" stamped on the barrel, it is regulated.

Umm explain how my heavy barrel DPMS which lacks ANY stamped indication of being an HBAR was sold unregulated by Atlantic Arms in Rockville?

Stamping it doesn't make it unregulated any more than engraving HBAR in the lower does (aka Colt).

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    As Z/28 said , a Mini 14 is a great alternative I have a few also fun reliable lil rifles and plenty of after market toys to bolt on .:thumbsup:

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    it comes with 10 round clip and no flash supressor. well sorry about confusion i am confused by these laws.[/QUOTE]

First off its a magazine not a clip. Second Maryland has no "compliant" rifles. Compliant rifles began with the Assualt Weapons Ban in 1994 and ended in 2004. Only NJ and CA(AFAIK) have any sort of AWB in place. 30 round MAGAZINES are legal to own in MD, but you cannot sell, offer for sale, transfer, orrecieve detachable magazines with a capacity greater than 20 rounds. Yes it would be better to move to WV. Regulated AR's are as clear as a glass of mud. Best bet is to find the rifle you want, call local FFL's and IP's to get their opinions on the regulated status and as soon as you find something you can both agree on you're GTG. Oh and watch out for BRD it's very expensive and impossible to cure.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...2661_772659_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y#

it comes with 10 round clip and no flash supressor. well sorry about confusion i am confused by these laws.

I think these rifles are Complaint in CA and MA, they have strangers laws.

its still regulated, you can own them in MD but still have to be 21.

Go with the HBAR b/c you can buy 30 rd mags in PA, VA or WVa since it looks like you go to school in WVa. you're not stuck with a 10 mag

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Umm explain how my heavy barrel DPMS which lacks ANY stamped indication of being an HBAR was sold unregulated by Atlantic Arms in Rockville?

Stamping it doesn't make it unregulated any more than engraving HBAR in the lower does (aka Colt).

I was just relaying what others had told me. I'm not an AR guy though, so I'll yield to the experts. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom