• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    This was my favorite moment from freestate. It shows the type of people who shoot there.
    4283beb76ef795373dc6bd6f25b1d3cc.jpg

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Even at that distance He/She/It is pulling left. Ugh.

The muzzle blast alone should take care of that target....

I have seen people tying to qualify there for what ever agency or security firm and completely miss the target at 7 yards with a SHOTGUN. I packed up an left.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

I have seen people tying to qualify there for what ever agency or security firm and completely miss the target at 7 yards with a SHOTGUN. I packed up an left.
    I've seen that at On Target as well - it's pretty scary when you think about the fact that these people are now "qualified" to carry and use (if necessary) and they have no hope of hitting what they are shooting at, and will likely hit a whole lot of other things in the process.

Overall though, that's the way it seems for most of the places I go - about 20% of the people I see shooting can actually "shoot" where they are getting raggedy 1 hole groups. Most folks are all over the paper at 25 feet, and some have issues keeping it on the paper at 25 feet.

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of these issues/people are what comes with shooting at a public range. I've been to several in the state and have seen the same stupid shit at each one. None of them are immune to it, just depends on how they deal with it. My favorite experience by far was the "security guards" I saw qualifying at On Target once. One guy was using the front pocket of a Home Depot apron as his mag pouch.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    I'm going to their new member orientation on Sunday

I hope it works out for you. I haven't been in too long, but weekdays in the morning on rifle range I'm usually alone. Can go from 25 to 300 yards.
    On pistol you can choose individual pits. No one but you.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    How jammed is it normally on the weekends?

I had been mostly sneaking up during the week but the times I've been there on the weekends weren't bad. When the weather gets nice I'm sure it'll be loaded up and try to avoid the weekends before deer season! LOL!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When was that? They certainly haven’t had that in at least 7-8 years

A long time ago.

But it, along with a couple of things turned me off from AGC. Then I got out of shooting for a while.

Maybe things have changed, but SLCFSA is closer and very nice. And a LOT cheaper. So no reason to revisit AGC.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Are you competing? If so, would it also be a good approach, at a public range, to use a stopwatch and time yourself?

If you're a top competing competitor perhaps you could bring a coach who could give you pointers on the spot?

If you're a top competing contender, I get it. If you aren't....perhaps you're over-thinking it?

I'm a pro-level trumpet player, and a better than average drummer.

Why do you have to be a top competitor for this?

Beginning shooters can also benefit from video or live coaching.

I do agree that the draw can be done at home. But recoil control and double taps are hard to do.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I've been an RSO at AGC for the last 6 years and in that time we have never had a "rounds per second" rule. The rule we DO have is that every round you fire on any of the ranges, no matter how quickly you fire, must hit the Impact Area (the dirt wall at the end of the range). Said differently, you must always be firing in a controlled way, regardless of how quickly you are pulling the trigger. Rapid firing will always attract the attention of the RSO who will observe if your rounds are hitting the Impact Area. If they are, no problem. If they are hitting the grass or going up into the woods, you will be cited with a rule infraction which will be reported to your Club. If the behavior continues, you will be told to pack up and leave for the day.

As I stated, this was a long time ago.

And yes, it was a written rule.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I like FreeState, though I can attest to one change over time that bothers me. The range used to be kept Boy Scout clean. Everybody cleaned up their own mess. This past year, however, the range is frequently blanketed with fired brass. And yes, I tell the folks about it. I have to clean up my lane (and I do the adjacent lanes as well) *before* shooting.

I LIKE when the brass is left.

Any brass in the lane is MINE. :D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't care about a safety check. I do care about a CoD warrior mall ninja waving my property around because it's cool and he's never seen one. If he drops it and damages it who is on the hook?

If you can't understand that simple bit then feel free to leave the thread

Or they flip your Python open or closed. NOT a good thing.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

A friend of a friend was into firearms, but had zero skills.

We were all out shooting, and he completely missed a full sized silhouette paper target from 5 yards. He jerked every round low.

Then the one time I shot at On Target, doing my NRA instructor range work, a buddy was breaking in a new Paraordnance. So after I was done my instructor work, I wandered down. He had two USPSA targets up at about 7 years and he was doing two target double taps. I loaded some mags for him, and he let me shoot them. So we started switching back and forth. RO came over to keep a close eye of us. I was looking down the range, and watched a lady with a revolver put the first round down range, the second round high, the third round in the ceiling. And walked the other rounds back over her head, with the last round a few inches above the glass. But WE were the ones that required the RO to watch us closely.

And lastly, I did not see this, but used to shoot bullseye at an indoor range in Laurel. One of the guys how shot the league, also taught at the range. One evening, he told us of a student that day, that was not hitting the target. He kept asking her if she was concentrating on the front sight. And she said she was. So he got closer, looked over her shoulder, and she was holding the pistol pointed straight up. She was looking at the front sight from the top. He looked up, and sure enough, the ceiling above was shot up.

Feb 28, 2013

I can only imagine the stupid that must happen at Elk Neck. Damn shotgun decks got so many holes blasted in em youd think the battle of Stalingrad was fought there

Went up there yesterday to break some clays... glad I got in and out before the retards started pilin in

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom