From VCDL:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not yet a VCDL member? Join VCDL at: http://www.vcdl.org/join.html
    VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings.html
    Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html

I have just learned, with confirmation from the Virginia State Police, that New Mexico is NO LONGER RECOGNIZING Virginia CHPs because we don't require range time. We never have, odd that they are just now figuring that out. Perhaps they had a change in their law somewhere down the line.

New Mexico does NOT honor Florida or Utah non-resident permits, either.

Here are your options:

1. Open carry

2. In your vehicle you can have a concealed handgun. New Mexico views your vehicle as an extension of your home.

Virginia continues on the highroad, honoring New Mexico permits.

-------------------------------------------
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    (VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    They view your VEHICLE as an extension of your home? That's actually an interesting idea.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    New Mexico does NOT honor Florida or Utah non-resident permits, either.

Here are your options:

1. Open carry

2. In your vehicle you can have a concealed handgun. New Mexico views your vehicle as an extension of your home.

or

3. Obtain a AZ permit. :innocent0

Teemus

MSI Executive Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    You omitted an option. Go to the New Mexico web site and get an application for their non-resident permit and get one...if you want to. I've been telling you guys that the highly vaunted Florida and, yes, even the Utah non-resident permits are slowly going the way of the Do-Do bird as more and more states releaize that they can get a piece of that cash cow by simply changing their laws to NOT recognize non-resident permits from any state other than their own non-resident permits. And the fact is that no one can do anything about this.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    You omitted an option. Go to the New Mexico web site and get an application for their non-resident permit and get one...if you want to. I've been telling you guys that the highly vaunted Florida and, yes, even the Utah non-resident permits are slowly going the way of the Do-Do bird as more and more states releaize that they can get a piece of that cash cow by simply changing their laws to NOT recognize non-resident permits from any state other than their own non-resident permits. And the fact is that no one can do anything about this.

NM doesn't issue non-resident permits. See NM 29-19-4

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The alleged reason given was VA does not require live fire, so the standards are not similar. Other states have used similar reasoning. NV dropped UT supposedly for that same issue.

Teemus

MSI Executive Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Can you give a list of states that have done this?

Sure. I did some research on this a few months ago and found that:

• Colorado no longer recognizes non-resident permits from any state.
    • Florida (how about that) no longer recognizes non-resident permits (other than the ones they issue.)
    • Louisiana just enacted a change to their law effective 8/15/2011 stating that they no longer recognize out of state non-res permits.
    • Michigan no longer recognizes out of state issued non-res permits.
    • New Hampshire no longer recognizes out of state non-res permits.

Is that enough for you? I will re-check all of the states in the near future and then update a document I prepared on the subject and post it on this site. I don't have the time to do so now.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Actually LA recognizes non resident permits from states that recognize theirs. They do not recognize non resident permits held by LA residents.

From LSP web page

The 2010 Regular Session of the Louisiana Legislature has made changes to LRS 40:1379.3. Most significantly, as of August 15, 2011, Louisiana will no longer allow residents to present a permit issued by another state for carrying in this state. The Laws and Rules Handbook is currently being re-written to reflect these changes.
    From Handgunlaw.us:

Permits/Licenses This State Honors
    Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas Colorado
    Florida Georgia Idaho Indiana Iowa
    Kansas Kentuck Maine Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Mexico North Carolina North Dakota Oklahoma Ohio Pennsylvania South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming

Louisiana Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses From the States They Honor. As of 8/15/11 A LA resident must have a LA Permit/License to Carry in LA.

IIRC only one state stopped recognizing NR permits since I got the 4 I have in 2009. The others already did not. Hardly a trend IMO.

Currently there are a total of 6 states that do not recognize NR permits

FL, CO, MI, NH, SC, ME

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The States out west seem to add and drop each other as often as most people change socks.

Fl , Mi has Never accepted non res permits.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    wonder if there were a large number of "potential tourists" contacted their tourism site stating they'd love to come spend money in there but........you don't except ccw from states from the east or whatever would havw any effect??:secret:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Some states passed prohibitions on non resident permits for their own residents. That makes sense to me. The others? Who knows?

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    Just found out yesterday regarding NM dropping FL.
    It really sucks...
    Was planning a Trip to drive out to Texas, Las Vegas and Grand Canyon...
    I specifically applied for FL because because I already had UT which NM did not accept, and was thinking, well we can go to Disney land next.
    I sent my app in 3/12.....NM dropped FL 3/23... Doesn't that suck.
    However reading the OP had info regarding Open Carry OK....Pheeeew.. Dodged a Bullet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom