• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I think I'm going to get my first can.

Anything I really need to he warned about when it comes to these cans? I'm trying to keep it on a budget and I want to pull the trigger soon.

Sig 762 SRDQD
    YHM Phantom Lite
    AAC SR 762

The Sig seems like the best choice for weight and length but the AAC being cheap and on sale is tempting, despite being a 9" heavy piece of metal. Still, its barely over $500.

Primary use would be on a bolt action and riding on a AR for hearing protection if it ever needed to be used in HD.

Last edited:
    Aug 24, 2017
    If HD is in your plan, you may want to go with the shortest one to maintain mobility. Otherwise, lighter is generally better IMHO. Just be prepared that these are like babies and take around 9 months to show up.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    YHM LT. Mine has zero POI shift( I use it on two different rifles wit the same results). It isn't that heavy and cools down very quickly. My 2 cents.

Msteers

May 26, 2017
    Within the price range,

- QD Taper mount or direct threaded
    - full size or compact

Rugged suppressors have a great deal on the well liked Razor 7.62 with a rebate that includes 2 extra taper flash mounts. This is great because they have 1/2x28 mounts that can be slapped on a 5.56 rifle with ease. Then right back on your .30 cal rifle. I believe they run $775 but worth it.

I know this wasnt an option you listed but worth the look into.

I recently bought a Recce 7 Mod4 because is a compact can that exceeds my dB reduction limit.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I was gonna get the YHM LT until I found the nitro. The nitro fit my needs better for direct and QD threads. But I've never heard someone be unhappy with the LT. If you're looking for HD get the LTA in case you have to stab someone with it.......... ;)

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    This blows up your budget, but my pick for a .30 caliber "do it all" suppressor is the Griffin Optimus. That said, with your stated intent, I think you'll be pretty happy with the SIG 762SRDQD. The only downside to that can (and why I didn't get one) is the limitation on compatible muzzle devices. I think the only option is a pretty loud brake. If having limited muzzle device choices bothers you, the current Rugged Razor promotion is pretty tempting. I would go for that if I didn't already have a Q Thunder Chicken in NFA jail.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was gonna get the YHM LT until I found the nitro. The nitro fit my needs better for direct and QD threads. But I've never heard someone be unhappy with the LT. If you're looking for HD get the LTA in case you have to stab someone with it.......... ;)

:thumbsup: That's the one I have. It comes with 'people velcro' on the end. Very persuasive.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    4dad52947083d81a99d7b309d7742acc.jpg

Notice the scale of the plot now goes to 450 days.

Sent from my bunker using Tapatalk Pro

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    4dad52947083d81a99d7b309d7742acc.jpg

Notice the scale of the plot now goes to 450 days.

Sent from my bunker using Tapatalk Pro
    Supposedly those are coming way down, but I'll believe it when my seven stamps of various types show up. That said, this is one reason I like to suggest the Griffin Optimus, or a .30 cal can + a Liberty Cosmic. Versatility may turn off folk looking to shave every last ounce or dB of sound, but it seems worth it to me. Additionally I do not trust the Maryland Legislature at all, and assume they could move to ban suppressors any session now. Doubly so if federal regulation of suppressors is lightened or eliminated. Might as well have as much covered as possible, assuming our overlords deign to allow us serfs a grandfathering clause again.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Am I being a little paranoid about the idea of baffle strikes? I understand minor ones happen but I read some horror stories about total can destruction. Of course I'd have everything checked by a gunsmith for the threads and alignment, but it has me a bit worried with such a big purchase.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I read about one guy who lost an entire can due to, allegedly, either a jacket separation or a tumbling bullet.

Scares me to think about lol

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Since SilencerCo replaced the Saker 762 with the Saker ASR and there are a few out there heavily discounted (Cap Armory has em for $495) and the Harvester is also on sale. I went thru this last year and had it down to between the SilencerCo Hybri and the Griffin....I bought the Hybrid. Now if the ATF will get off their @$$es and work on trust F4 paperwork....

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I can say that I officially have ruled out the AAC SDN6 after reading about all of the latch failures.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I think I'm going to get my first can.
    Unless you hate the ASR and KeyMo mount systems, I don't see why you wouldn't put the Hybrid on your list for a rifle suppressor. While it's on the heavier side, it handles almost everything caliber-wise, and you can even stuff an Omega anchor brake on the front if you're into that. With a $200 tax stamp involved, this is definitely one of the times to think about stretching (and I don't usually say that).

Then again, if you're like me, one became two became five for me, so you'll probably have a chance to do this again. :)

SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.
    Big fan of Rugged here. I have both a Surge and a Razor. The Surge lets me run the long configuration on my bolt action and shorter on my semi-auto's if needed. The Razor is nice and short. Less back pressure with the Razor works well on guns without an adjustable gas system. Nice that they both use the same muzzle devices.

As for customer service, a little story. First day with Surge. Thought I had it properly screwed on, did not. Baffle strike on 5.56 end cap and can launched 10 yds down range. Called Rugged at 7PM at night to leave message and find out hours. They answered the phone at 7PM and emailed me a FedEx return label that night. Sent them the can to be checked out (need minor repair to locking ring) and got it back in two weeks with a brand new end cap and free muzzle device in case I had to replace the one on the gun.

Bottom line, I am Rugged customer for life. Next purchase will probably either an Obsidian 45 or the new Obsidian 9 pistol can. Maybe both if I can afford it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I read about one guy who lost an entire can due to, allegedly, either a jacket separation or a tumbling bullet.

Scares me to think about lol

Being as I hand load 99% of my ammo, I test fire all of it to make certain it flies and groups well. I also test factory ammo as well.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    Your a fool for ruling out the AAC 762. I have one, with hundreds of rounds through it. Never an issue. I can shoot .308 with subsonic without hearing protection. It is quieter then a .22. Love mine! Where did you see them on sale??

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom