Am I Paranoid for Finding This Suspicious?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Gut instincts have been bred out of most of the population and those of us that still have them may even be called racists. Paranoia is good thing for normal people it means you are in tune with things around you. I would rather be paranoid and live to see tomorrow then be nice and be buried tomorrow.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    hey Faze- I don't know what your occupation is, sounds like you like where you work-that is Great!! I live up in Ceciltucky, not too close to Elkton, but jobs aren't too hard to find, and on the way to the gun range I have been passing a nice looking,though older, two story farm house available for rent at $1200 per month. Closest neighbor is about 2/3rds mile away and all the houses are older, established, and probably only have the redneck crimes-drunken fireworks and such. That's about the best we can hope for in todays world...

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    hey Faze- I don't know what your occupation is, sounds like you like where you work-that is Great!! I live up in Ceciltucky, not too close to Elkton, but jobs aren't too hard to find, and on the way to the gun range I have been passing a nice looking,though older, two story farm house available for rent at $1200 per month. Closest neighbor is about 2/3rds mile away and all the houses are older, established, and probably only have the redneck crimes-drunken fireworks and such. That's about the best we can hope for in todays world...

Yeah my job's awesome. I'm a lead IT Operations Engineer...and my salary is insane, for only being 24 years old, I make more than 99% of people my age do, almost 100k a year. So I don't want to lose that at all.

Regarding your suggestion, what street is it on? I'd love to look into it.

Wow you lived in the city? Brave man... You know which townhomes I mean right? The ones right next to Food Lion, not behind it. I think they were built in like 2003? It's $1800 a month for 3 bedrooms, but it's well worth it if it's as nice as you say. But yes, north of Hannah Moore is safe. There are some isolated incidents near the Royal Farms (near Food Lion) on Main st. but it's mainly bus stop issues as far as I can tell. Farmer's and Merchant's was robbed at gunpoint 5 times in a month, they now have to buzz you in, and you must walk through a metal detector to enter. The Royal Farms I just mentioned (the one under construction now) is also robbed pretty frequently. Aside from that, it's not bad north of Hannah Moore.

Yeah I was born and raised in Canton, back when it was still a working class neighborhood. I had no idea the Royal Farms had been robbed so frequently. Of course, then again, like you stated, the common denominator being the bus stop right there. I occasionaly hear loud groups of people getting off the stop closest to my place. I just keep an eye on them from my window, unnoticed. Of course they are all walking south towards the apartments.:sad20:

I did have one incident where I heard a guy banging on my front door pretty early, maybe 0800. Firstly, nobody shows up at our place unannounced, and secondly, everyone who does visit knows to come around back, as there are two other tenants living in the house. I looked out the window facing 140, and saw this guy turn and quickly start walking toward the rear of the house. I ran up to the bedroom, grabbed my pistol, and went down to the door to wait for him. I actually got the drop on him, and opened the door just as he was getting ready to knock. Had my pistol behind me (think Huckleberry's pic), with my right foot pressed up against the bottom of the door in case he tried to rush me. He was looking for someone who has never lived at the house since I've been there. I informed him there was no one there by said name, and he asked (in an a$$hole tone) isn't this Apt X?, to which I responded no this is Apt Y. He got short with me and asked where Apt X is, and I told him, He promptly turned around and went downstairs, without saying anything at all. So I say you are effing welcome, and slam the door. After my interaction with him he struck me as a process server of some kind, but I didn't like his body languge or all the other suspicious details. He was a middle aged white guy, casually dressed, and didn't strike me as a junkie. Luckily, havn't had an issue since. Probably just a misunderstanding, but I don't live under the impression that I'm immune to crime because of living all the way out here.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    Yeah I was born and raised in Canton, back when it was still a working class neighborhood. I had no idea the Royal Farms had been robbed so frequently. Of course, then again, like you stated, the common denominator being the bus stop right there. I occasionaly hear loud groups of people getting off the stop closest to my place. I just keep an eye on them from my window, unnoticed. Of course they are all walking south towards the apartments.:sad20:

I did have one incident where I heard a guy banging on my front door pretty early, maybe 0800. Firstly, nobody shows up at our place unannounced, and secondly, everyone who does visit knows to come around back, as there are two other tenants living in the house. I looked out the window facing 140, and saw this guy turn and quickly start walking toward the rear of the house. I ran up to the bedroom, grabbed my pistol, and went down to the door to wait for him. I actually got the drop on him, and opened the door just as he was getting ready to knock. Had my pistol behind me (think Huckleberry's pic), with my right foot pressed up against the bottom of the door in case he tried to rush me. He was looking for someone who has never lived at the house since I've been there. I informed him there was no one there by said name, and he asked (in an a$$hole tone) isn't this Apt X?, to which I responded no this is Apt Y. He got short with me and asked where Apt X is, and I told him, He promptly turned around and went downstairs, without saying anything at all. So I say you are effing welcome, and slam the door. After my interaction with him he struck me as a process server of some kind, but I didn't like his body languge or all the other suspicious details. He was a middle aged white guy, casually dressed, and didn't strike me as a junkie. Luckily, havn't had an issue since. Probably just a misunderstanding, but I don't live under the impression that I'm immune to crime because of living all the way out here.

Nobody is immune to crime. But there are places where you're safer than others...i.e. nowhere in between Baltimore and northern VA.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    Yeah my job's awesome. I'm a lead IT Operations Engineer...and my salary is insane, for only being 24 years old, I make more than 99% of people my age do, almost 100k a year. So I don't want to lose that at all.

Regarding your suggestion, what street is it on? I'd love to look into it.
    It is on Barnes Corner Rd. in the Colora,Farmington,Rising Sun area. About 20 minutes from anywhere in USA that is not in the Colora,Farminton, or Rising sun area- beautiful

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    You really should consider Hampstead or Finksburg. There are definitely homes in your price range in both areas. If your interested in a place in Hampstead, let me know. I think my friend still has a nice rancher up here on a small lot for around $1400.00/mo....

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    You really should consider Hampstead or Finksburg. There are definitely homes in your price range in both areas. If your interested in a place in Hampstead, let me know. I think my friend still has a nice rancher up here on a small lot for around $1400.00/mo....

Both are not out of the question. How long is he willing to sit on the place? I'm pretty much going to buy out of this lease early. Might be a month or two.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    No, but apparently I do drive past that one almost every day as well. The one I was talkin bout - if you click on the map in the link and scroll to the right(east?) it is about midway between Hopewell rd. and Montgomery rd. I didn't see it highlighted. If I remember I can jot down the phone number, maybe tomorrow, off the sign in the yard and send it to you.:thumbsup:

That would help, thanks. :)

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Regarding "paranoia", I wish the people who paint us with that brush would STFU.

Paranoia: calling my dad at his office at work and afraid the phones are bugged ( this actually happened recently- the guy calling is someone who worked in that office but retired)

Being prepared: the guy who still works there who probably keeps an AK in his trunk, and is far from acting paranoid/having mental issues. In fact he likes to tell my dad about new guns he has aquired, so my dad can tell me. My dad is the boss of the whole office, so there's no anti gun shunning going on.

Being prepared: my mother's coworker who has bug out supplies in his car- MRE's, a bedroll, water, first aid stuff, and probably a shotgun. To add to the fun, my mother has told me of these 2 black ladies in the office who now and then start arguing about guns. The one is pro gun and mentions carrying, the other is anti gun.

When I was growing up my mother often said " it's better to be safe than sorry". Well, she raised a sheepdog.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    OP- Insist on a peep sight for your door, never open the door to a stranger and ask "what do you want?..........can I call the Police for you?"

Not_Disapproved

Known Defiler
    Jul 3, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    If you do stay, surveillance DVRs w/ multiple cameras have gotten really cheap lately. The cameras give a great picture for the price and you can route the DVR to your webserver and watch it at work or have it alert you when motion is detected. I'd mount two outside and two inside just to keep the apartment maintenance guys honest.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    Odds are, early drunk, looking for 'girlfriend', not a clue that he's at the wrong door or even in the wrong building.

At my house/location, I would have kept the door closed but asked what was up. If the police recommended you keep the door closed and not answer, you live in a different kind of area, and that advise could well make sense. If that sort of thing keeps up, move and listen to books on tape during your longer commute from a more deserving neighborhood.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    OP- Insist on a peep sight for your door, never open the door to a stranger and ask "what do you want?..........can I call the Police for you?"

I have one already, like I said he was "thugish" looking.

If you do stay, surveillance DVRs w/ multiple cameras have gotten really cheap lately. The cameras give a great picture for the price and you can route the DVR to your webserver and watch it at work or have it alert you when motion is detected. I'd mount two outside and two inside just to keep the apartment maintenance guys honest.

Yeah that's the plan. I have quite the setup here, and tons of disk space to store footage on.

Odds are, early drunk, looking for 'girlfriend', not a clue that he's at the wrong door or even in the wrong building.

At my house/location, I would have kept the door closed but asked what was up. If the police recommended you keep the door closed and not answer, you live in a different kind of area, and that advise could well make sense. If that sort of thing keeps up, move and listen to books on tape during your longer commute from a more deserving neighborhood.

Yeah Owings Mills is really hit or miss, just like downtown Baltimore. Some areas are half-decent, but they're right next to slums, and often enough the crime overflows to the nice areas. From what I heard from a LEO is the townhomes next to Food Lion are very quiet. I will probably end up there in the VERY VERY VERY near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom