Remembering Ledo's and Jerry's before they were chains.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Went into a Ledo's and memories of standing in line, in the snow, with other college students just to get in flooded into my head.
    I don't think the pizza's were less greasy, but for some reason we just had to go.
    Same with Jerry's when it was one shop in Wheaton. The "Secret Sauce" was different before it became a chain or my taste has changed. The old man once yelled at us to get out because we were done eating and he had customers waiting. :)Red's Hobby Shop was in Wheaton too, before the Metro and all.
    There are others I remember like the Big Boys at New Hampshire and the Beltway and Stained Glass Pub.
    And what was the drive in at four Corners? Was it a Big Boys also?

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    When we moved from PG to HoCo in 1984 we ate at the Ledo's in Fulton. It was the worst pizza we ever attempted to eat. The peperoni was the shape of a small bowl harboring loads of grease. I hope it has improved since then.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Went into a Ledo's and memories of standing in line, in the snow, with other college students just to get in flooded into my head.
    I don't think the pizza's were less greasy, but for some reason we just had to go.
    Same with Jerry's when it was one shop in Wheaton. The "Secret Sauce" was different before it became a chain or my taste has changed. The old man once yelled at us to get out because we were done eating and he had customers waiting. :)Red's Hobby Shop was in Wheaton too, before the Metro and all.
    There are others I remember like the Big Boys at New Hampshire and the Beltway and Stained Glass Pub.

I really miss that sauce! Wheaton, not so much. :sad20:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Man, that's the bitch about getting old. Good memories improve with age, while bad memories tend to fade, (making the good ones seem even better) and we cherry-pick from among them.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It was terrifying to find the Adelphi original Ledo's had closed.

I can report that the College Park branch of the firm still makes them like they used to.

ccarson

I'm old school
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 28, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I remember you could ask for a sack of ends and then we'd munch on them on the drive home
    (they cut the ends off the rolls and tossed them into a bag a little stale sometimes but free)
    And Jerry had bunions something awful had those weird orthopedic shoes with holes cut out of the uppers. Odd but that and him yelling were the things I remember the most about the place ....well and the roast beef subs with Jerry's special sauce

65by55

Mar 30, 2013
    Rockpile, MD
    And what was the drive in at four Corners?

i seem to remember the name "Top's"....

I will have to confirm tomorrow with my dad. He can't remember what he had for lunch, but something from the 1960's.....

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I like Ledo's, they are just expensive and they dont deliver. I really wish they delivered to our house, but there isnt one close enough that would deliver anyways.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring

The funny thing is the original Wheaton Jerry's is now a Ledo's... Still like both. Prefer Ledo's Pizza, and Jerry's Subs. Just have to go to either Aspen Hill or 16th Street to get that. However if I'm in Aspen Hill, I'll happily hit the new Roy Rogers there. --JB

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    When we moved from PG to HoCo in 1984 we ate at the Ledo's in Fulton. It was the worst pizza we ever attempted to eat. The peperoni was the shape of a small bowl harboring loads of grease. I hope it has improved since then.

Hehe, nope, that about describes how it is. That's why I get either the pre-cooked bacon, or sausage. They even have Hog Sausage at the Wheaton Ledo's (former original Jerry's) every now and again. --JB

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I was told by a bud who worked there in the `80's that it was just Thousand Island and Mayo... Never tried to replicate it, but that does make sense. --JB

Thousand Island is basically Mayo, Ketchup, and relish.

A number of local places had "secret sauce" that was just ketchup and mayo mixed together.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    When I was in Northwood High school, there was a Gino's in four corners.

Yep, one there, and one in Kensington. The one in Four Corners turned into a Roy Rogers in the 80's, and now its a McDonald's. The one in Kensington I think may have been a Roy's for a stint, then became a dive bar called Savannah's, and now it'll become "Car Wash Coffee" - the dude who owns the Mr. Wash next door apparently owns the building, but this new place has yet to open. --JB

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Thousand Island is basically Mayo, Ketchup, and relish.

A number of local places had "secret sauce" that was just ketchup and mayo mixed together.

Ha. Well a Latino Benihana Cook (yes, that's what I just said) once told me that their "Yummy Yummy Sauce" was just Hot Sauce and Mayo... --JB

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Miles Long Sandwich Shop had a branch in SE DC. Place was like an ATM for local thugs; it seemed like it was hit nearly every week; I used to enjoy reading about it in the crime reports in the WaPo, in the days when it was a real newspaper.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Gino's Hero burger. And the Red Barn and Jack in the Box on University on way to UMD. Miss Farrel's at Wheaton Plaza and the drive in in Langley Park. Hot Shoppes I believe. Pizza Oven in Takoma Park in the 70's when I was like 10 years old. It was at Flower and Piney Branch bottom Level across from High's. Also Mother's Pizza and GD Graffiti's on the Pike. Many HS dance dinners there as well as Sir Walter Raleigh in ghettosburg

I mentioned a while ago on another thread I used to go to Triangle Lane to that comic book shop and then to Marchone's. The best roast beef subs. I used to also love the Little Tavern. There was a little pizza place on Flower Avenue in the 70's next to a little pet store with the Super Giant behind them. I also think that was called Jerry's. Probably wrong but they had good pizza. Just up from the Woolworths and the theater

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Gino's Hero burger. And the Red Barn and Jack in the Box on University on way to UMD. Miss Farrel's at Wheaton Plaza and the drive in in Langley Park. Hot Shoppes I believe. Pizza Oven in Takoma Park in the 70's when I was like 10 years old. It was at Flower and Piney Branch bottom Level across from High's. Also Mother's Pizza and GD Graffiti's on the Pike. Many HS dance dinners there as well as Sir Walter Raleigh in ghettosburg

I mentioned a while ago on another thread I used to go to Triangle Lane to that comic book shop and then to Marchone's. The best roast beef subs. I used to also love the Little Tavern. There was a little pizza place on Flower Avenue in the 70's next to a little pet store with the Super Giant behind them. I also think that was called Jerry's. Probably wrong but they had good pizza. Just up from the Woolworths and the theater

Farrell's may be solely responsible for all the fillings in my mouth - I had my best childhood birthdays there though. Marchone's - now Fillippo's - so I'm told, still has the same great subs, but I haven't tried em... I can vouch for the Cannoli's. Totally miss Little Tavern Burgers. Supposedly, a former Little Tavern in Laurel still does the gut grenade burgers, in their donut shop. Don't forget about Trolley Car Pizza! --JB

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I also think that was called Jerry's. Probably wrong but they had good pizza.

Jerry's had good pizza long ago but no more. I wanted to buy some food for an event about a year ago and remembered there was a Jerry's near by so I ordered several to go. God-awful. It was embarrassing. The crust was like these pre-made frozen ones and there was almost no cheese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom