• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The answer to the question about the "Conservation" (ridicilous name) Season for Light Geese,.... it's 100% about the amount of destruction they cause on farms. 1-2K birds can land just before sunrise and wipe out a literally acres of crop. They have a different beak/mouth, a Canada has serrated sections that "cut" foliage as they eat, a snow goose YANKS the entire plant out of the ground root and all (depending on crop/ground conditions).

It isn't unusual at all for farmers to go out back and "flock shoot" snows in an effort to get them up and moving to mitigate damage.

All of this being said... most hunters kill snows just to kill. They are a tuff bird, tough to kill, tough and depending on what they've been eating they said to be disgusting aside from maybe jerky or something like that.

I don't hunt anything I can't/won't eat. Nothing personal against people who chose to, just my preference in life. No "conservation" hunting for me, I'm not killing a bunch of birds to just throw them in a ditch somewhere.

If you threw them in a ditch somewhere, it would be considered wanton waste and a crime. They need to be disposed of properly by throwing them in the garbage. The law is utterly ridiculous. Had a friends pulverize a dove one year. It was like hamburger. So, he threw it into the field. Game wardens were watching the field and they charged him with wanton waste at the end of the day.

They should have something set up for feed the hungry where waterfowl can be donated, especially on the eastern shore.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    If you threw them in a ditch somewhere, it would be considered wanton waste and a crime. They need to be disposed of properly by throwing them in the garbage. The law is utterly ridiculous. Had a friends pulverize a dove one year. It was like hamburger. So, he threw it into the field. Game wardens were watching the field and they charged him with wanton waste at the end of the day.

They should have something set up for feed the hungry where waterfowl can be donated, especially on the eastern shore.

We used to sea duck hunt with a guide in Tilghman Island and he assured us he took our ducks to people in town who ate them. I pretended like I believed him.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    It’s really all about how you prep and cook the meat. Every snow goose I’ve killed I’ve eaten and has been enjoyable. The most important thing is to not over cook it and make sure all of the skin and fat is gone. Even sea duck can be eaten if you take the time to learn how.

https://honest-food.net/eating-sea-ducks/

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    It’s really all about how you prep and cook the meat. Every snow goose I’ve killed I’ve eaten and has been enjoyable. The most important thing is to not over cook it and make sure all of the skin and fat is gone. Even sea duck can be eaten if you take the time to learn how.

Just like the thread...things I will never buy again

I will never shoot a bufflehead ever again.

I shot 3 of them one day.They tasted so terrible that I swore to myself I wont do that to myself....ever

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

I’m a huge fan of Hank Shaw (have all of his cook books), but I tried his sea duck recipe and ended up dumping the entire dinner in the trash can.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Just like the thread...things I will never buy again

I will never shoot a bufflehead ever again.

I shot 3 of them one day.They tasted so terrible that I swore to myself I wont do that to myself....ever
    Another one I won't shoot at either.

Last year from my buddy's "boobie blind":

53f3f360c1e2eb6b088c81d37892f109.jpg

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I’m a huge fan of Hank Shaw (have all of his cook books), but I tried his sea duck recipe and ended up dumping the entire dinner in the trash can.

Fair enough. I know a lot of people won’t even try on reputation alone. I think Hank has said the only duck he won’t eat is a merganser.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I shoot a lot of buffleheads every year and eat them all. As long as you marinate them in some sort of acidic solution (I often use lime juice or orange juice with oil and spices) for at least 24 hours, they can be really tasty. They're also good to add to your venison/pork mix for sausage. I agree that the males are absolutely stunning and it's worth mounting one. I think they might be the most beautiful duck that makes the Chesapeake home in the winter. Snow geese are also on the menu for me. I hang them for 3-5 days as long as it's cold outside, then cook them fast and hot like a steak, or broil them wrapped in bacon. Hanging makes a big difference in tenderness (yes, I did a double blind test with two of the same size/age---one sat in the fridge and one that hung outside). Yum.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Opening day was a bust, didn't see many woodies and not much shooting in genera in the area. Got a couple. No wind and the tide was so high I could not hunt my good blind and the woodies didn't move.

Attachments

• 2019 woodies 1.jpg
      2019 woodies 1.jpg
      69.4 KB · Views: 274
    • 2019 woodies 2.jpg
      2019 woodies 2.jpg
      101.8 KB · Views: 281

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    No pics, but I limited on Mallards and scored a Woody too.

I would have had at least one more wood duck but I forgot to reload my gun after the previous fly by :sad20:

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Had a lot of fun yesterday but the only thing I got was a "You are absolutely useless" look from the dog.

Lol my son kept mumbling something about “missed opportunities.”
    We did manage to kill a few though. I caught a decent little smallmouth after the ducks were done. I love this time of year!

Attachments

• A49D13E3-BA86-48CA-A0FF-02C94F508E01.jpg
      A49D13E3-BA86-48CA-A0FF-02C94F508E01.jpg
      92.1 KB · Views: 235

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom