• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    My search for the perfect mini-14 has begun. Wood and blue for me as well. I will have one before 2018 ends!!!

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    They are nice and fun to shoot don't know what series I've got, I do remember a recall on some of the earlier stainless ones in a certain range of numbers.Got a ole stainless one with wood and have to say that it looks pretty good.Get one and have fun.

And a side note: Mini-14 thread..... Why not .. there's the Mattel toy thread just saying.

-Rock

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    It's now a matter of which is more important; Mini 14, a CZ 455, a 300 black upper, or 300 black bolt Ranch gun. That's always been the problem whenever I have thought about a Mini, something else comes up. But this thread has more than anything raised the Mini closer to the top of the list. We shall see.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    It's now a matter of which is more important; Mini 14, a CZ 455, a 300 black upper, or 300 black bolt Ranch gun. That's always been the problem whenever I have thought about a Mini, something else comes up. But this thread has more than anything raised the Mini closer to the top of the list. We shall see.

Why use that ugly little divisive word, when "and" is just so much more :party29:

I can say the word "and" while maintaining a smile the whole time:D

If there is even a hint of new legislation, the semi-autos will get snatched up/priced up first:innocent0. Just saying;)

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I have an AR, don't love it, it is fine for what it is. Never really lusted after one.

Now, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1A, and even the Mini-14, while I haven't pulled the trigger yet (couldn't help it), I've lusted after those for going on 20 years. That alone is reason enough to buy one.

However, we live in MD so we all have a reason to consider them.

There is no better gun IMO for home defense than a 20 round .223/5.56 carbine. Good stopping power at home defense distances with less risk of overpenetration than any other caliber except maybe .22lr (and certainly less than any other effective home defense round), long gun accuracy, flash hider to help your night vision, and decent capacity in case of home invasion. In MD, would you rather a police official, prosecutor, plantiff's attorney, or jury see the traditional, hunting rifle looking, wood stocked Mini or an EBR M-16 looking AR? Sure, if it is a good shoot you should be fine right? Seriously, this is the real world, and this is anti-gun MD. I want everything that can go in my favor as possible. Good shoot, PC looking gun, give me every advantage when fighting for my life after the fight without losing my tactical advantage when fighting for my life during the fight. The Mini hits the spot.

The only reason I'm not getting one now, I'm paying off debt and saving for a house. If I buy a house this spring (and not spring 2019) the only question is do I get the Mini or a 3" S&W 686 Plus first.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    If the Mini 14 used AR mags I would consider it but I'm not interested in stocking up on another .223/5.56 semi auto rifle mag.
    I can live without it.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Same here. Stainless mini’s Were $400 at Sports Authority. Worse for me was passing on a mint stainless folder at my first Timonium gunshow back in the 90’s for $600.

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    The mini-14, stainless and woody is a great back up .223/5.56 rifle. It is likely not as accurate as most AR type rifles, but it is much less obtrusive. It is also quite reliable, especially the later models with thicker barrels. Most of us already have ARs and the ammo to go with them, this is just another way of utilizing said ammo without looking "extra scary" while retaining similar capabilities. It would be great if it used Ar mags, but as a secondary rifle it does not need 20 mags. Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom