• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you get the HQL, you are in the system. If you are going to be in it, why not choose the cheapest way to get there?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You can keep your secret handguns secret if you follow my option: buy a C&R eligible handgun, and use that one to establish exemption. Since you'd be buying in on a Form 77r, with the 7 day wait, it would be "registered": in their system anyway.

If you don't really want the C&R pistol, you can sell it later, perhaps at a higher price. Collectibles hold their value better than new production guns, and may be good investments.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    You can keep your secret handguns secret if you follow my option: buy a C&R eligible handgun, and use that one to establish exemption. Since you'd be buying in on a Form 77r, with the 7 day wait, it would be "registered": in their system anyway.

If you don't really want the C&R pistol, you can sell it later, perhaps at a higher price. Collectibles hold their value better than new production guns, and may be good investments.

There is no 77R involved in a C&R purchase if you have a C&R and you're buying from an out of state party.
    Having said that, a C&R gun with a serial number can be used to establish gun ownership for training exemption.

Blake23

Mar 9, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Just buy a stripped AR15 lower. No HQL needed. Once it has been transferred to you it can be use as the exemption.

If I bought an ar lower last week and filled out a 77r would I be exempt from hql training class once that lower is in my possession
    So all is need is my live scan number and whatever it cost to submit the application. Is this still acceptable?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yep no HQL needed for the lower as it’s not a handgun. But once you own it, it’s a regulated firearm, making you training exempt for an HQL

Aztecs

Mar 16, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I moved to MD a few months back and registered my CZ with MSP. Does the registration of the pistol exempt me from the HQL?

If I were to walk into an LGS, besides proof of residency, are there any other requirements?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Can't you do an online Texas hunter safety course?

I guess I could but is it necessary for me to do that if I already bought the lower for an ar pistol build last week?

I just meant in general, for other people reading this, not you specifically. There are several alternatives to the training.

1) buy an AR lower.
    2) buy a C&R eligible handgun ( generally 50-plus years old) in a regular Maryland sale, with form 77r and 7 day wait.
    3) complete hunter safety training.

Thus my question about Texas Hunter Safety online.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I moved to MD a few months back and registered my CZ with MSP. Does the registration of the pistol exempt me from the HQL?

If I were to walk into an LGS, besides proof of residency, are there any other requirements?

You are only exempt from the onerous and expensive training.

You still need the HQL, and that means fingerprints, fees, and redundant background checks.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert

You are exempt from the training requirement of the hql. You still need to get the prints and the license itself.

johnkorz

Feb 25, 2013
    Savage
    Everyone:

I would take the training unless you are military training. I teach the class as well as several other NRA classes. Every class I have taken, no matter how basic, I learned something new. When it comes to firearms, I have found that I learn something new almost every time I am on the range or reading on line. Just a thought.

John

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Or purchase a C&R handgun out of MD, have it shipped to you and use that. No 77 required

If you have an FFL03 C&R license

You forgot that part. No FFL03, no ordering C&R handguns from out of state and bypassing the 77r.

If it is a C&R handgun you are still required to do a 77r background check form and transfer through a regular FFL, but you do not need an HQL. The exception is for out of state transfers if you have an FFL03 (curio and relic collectors license)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I didn’t forget it. You can’t have a C & R handgun shipped across a state line without an 03 FFL.

But perhaps some don’t know that

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom