• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Well aware of the Brit bikes from their demise in the 70's and their heyday before the advent of the electric start imports so fast forward to today.

I saw one earlier this week, Bonneville American or something like that. Sonofabitch was beautiful. I've owned several in the past, from a pre bowling ball XLCH, Kaw triple suicide machines and Trumpets and a host of other rice burners. Been on my mind so much I bought a slew of old Harley and Triumph Trident parts from a friend tonight. Mostly junk but that's how I function. :o

Whats with the new ones? Any good, reliability ect? I've got a few active years left in this old body (hopefully) fewer brains than $$$ ect. SHE wants a class C RV... now if I could show practicality of some sort of a hitch on the back that will hold a full sized scooter......... :innocent0

I haven't really rode in decades but I figure it's like riding a bike or swimming...... :)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The ones they made in the late 90s to early 2000s were really awesome British style with modern reliability. Lately their style seems to be getting a little weird, maybe its just way to much early WWII type influence with Harley type dress but seems out of place. May just be different than the early 70s Triumphs that us yanks were used to.

Gotta love em, if I get a bike soon it will probably be a mid 2000s scrambler.

Jenna Coleman with a triumph...........oh baby

F7wMT.jpg

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    The ones they made in the late 90s to early 2000s were really awesome British style with modern reliability. Lately their style seems to be getting a little weird, maybe its just way to much early WWII type influence with Harley type dress but seems out of place. May just be different than the early 70s Triumphs that us yanks were used to.

Gotta love em, if I get a bike soon it will probably be a mid 2000s scrambler.

Jenna Coleman with a triumph...........oh baby

F7wMT.jpg

Smiths and Lucas are ancient history?

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    A buddy in texas has a scrambler.. he loves it. sob has probably 8 bikes... last I spoke with him, the triumph was his favorite... I'm in lust with the tiger... keep threatening the wife that for my midlife crisis I'm buying one

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Well aware of the Brit bikes from their demise in the 70's and their heyday before the advent of the electric start imports so fast forward to today.

I saw one earlier this week, Bonneville American or something like that. Sonofabitch was beautiful. I've owned several in the past, from a pre bowling ball XLCH, Kaw triple suicide machines and Trumpets and a host of other rice burners. Been on my mind so much I bought a slew of old Harley and Triumph Trident parts from a friend tonight. Mostly junk but that's how I function. :o

Whats with the new ones? Any good, reliability ect? I've got a few active years left in this old body (hopefully) fewer brains than $$$ ect. SHE wants a class C RV... now if I could show practicality of some sort of a hitch on the back that will hold a full sized scooter......... :innocent0

I haven't really rode in decades but I figure it's like riding a bike or swimming...... :)
    Bet you think Margaret Thatcher is H-o-t too...

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    They are much better nowadays. I worked in the motorcycle business in the 70s, and back then the electrical systems on the Triumphs, Nortons and BSAs were from Lucas, the Prince of Darkness. When the humidity got over 75%, you often became a pedestrian. Might just as well stay home if it was raining. And even the factories of those brands joked about the amount of oil they all left on the ground. They had three conditions to describe the condition: Weepage, Seepage and Leakage. If it didn't have one of those conditions, it was unusual.

They also had right foot shift and left foot rear brakes. Made it challenging to switch between those and the other brands for demo rides.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    A friend of mine is into them, restores older models, rides a newer Thruxton, just got a 75 bonneville to restore for his son, has probably owned a dozen. They are definitely cool, I've demoed the new street tripple and 675 daytona, really nice, all the modern bells and whistles, great chassis, great engine, a bit pricey, but not unaffordable. I love tripples, they sound and perform awesome, and Triumph does them well. There is a dealer up here in Camp hill, right around the corner from the new Field and Stream store. If you are looking to get back into it, do it. Take the rider safety class to knock off the cobwebs, be careful, and get a bike.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    My 2017 Cinder Red Bonneville T120. I picked it up in April and have 5700 miles on it now. Classic lines and modern engineering, fuel injection, abs,traction control, heated grips( that are handy in the morning lately). The gear shift acted up at 4700 miles, but the warranty covered it and I'm still very happy with the bike.

Attachments

• 20170520_150456.jpg
      20170520_150456.jpg
      105.5 KB · Views: 484

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    I had a Speed Triple a few years back. Sold it when I moved (cash issues). I miss it. It was bullet proof and fun to ride. I now have a project Bandit 1200, great bike but less 'soul'.
    If I buy a bike again, Triumph would be near top of my list.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    My 2017 Cinder Red Bonneville T120. I picked it up in April and have 5700 miles on it now. Classic lines and modern engineering, fuel injection, abs,traction control, heated grips( that are handy in the morning lately). The gear shift acted up at 4700 miles, but the warranty covered it and I'm still very happy with the bike.

THAT's what I'm talkin about!!!! No more ticklin the Amal carbs with injection, I assume even they finally have electric start and NO frame oiling!? Beautiful scoot.... whats MSRP and are they negotiable? I don't care about speed anymore but I'm sure it's at least plenty adequate in and out of traffic.

The Limeys weren't exactly speed demons in the 70's but they still looked and handled MUCH better than any rice burner with exception to maybe a pocket rocket RD 350.

Did I mention that thing is beautiful?

Oil leaks.... thing of the past? :drool:

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    A friend of mine is into them, restores older models, rides a newer Thruxton, just got a 75 bonneville to restore for his son, has probably owned a dozen. They are definitely cool, I've demoed the new street tripple and 675 daytona, really nice, all the modern bells and whistles, great chassis, great engine, a bit pricey, but not unaffordable. I love tripples, they sound and perform awesome, and Triumph does them well. There is a dealer up here in Camp hill, right around the corner from the new Field and Stream store. If you are looking to get back into it, do it. Take the rider safety class to knock off the cobwebs, be careful, and get a bike.

Looked it up last night, 3809 Hartzdale Dr..... I'll probably con her into dinner then say "oh look". :D

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    They are much better nowadays. I worked in the motorcycle business in the 70s, and back then the electrical systems on the Triumphs, Nortons and BSAs were from Lucas, the Prince of Darkness. When the humidity got over 75%, you often became a pedestrian. Might just as well stay home if it was raining. And even the factories of those brands joked about the amount of oil they all left on the ground. They had three conditions to describe the condition: Weepage, Seepage and Leakage. If it didn't have one of those conditions, it was unusual.

They also had right foot shift and left foot rear brakes. Made it challenging to switch between those and the other brands for demo rides.

Well that's true BUT if it wasn't doing one of those it was out of oil! I liked the torque of the Brit twins, chug chug chug......

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom