• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apr 28, 2021
    Hey all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I recently got my HGP approved due to my clearance, but it comes with the restriction that I have to turn it in if I leave government work.

Has anyone ever tried to appeal this? I'm thinking that the "good and substantial reasons" wouldn't immediately change the second you got read out (i.e. OPM breach, media leaks, etc all had repercussions that could last years).

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Is it issued by a State(Md) based on a federal clearance?

Does your employer not have the ability to give you a permit to carry? I'd like to know more.

Apr 28, 2021
    If you leave gov work starting small business is probably the best way to keep the permit.

Not a bad idea, but I've heard you need more than just a brand new LLC to qualify.

Is it issued by a State(Md) based on a federal clearance?

Does your employer not have the ability to give you a permit to carry? I'd like to know more.

No. Just being a Federal employee or contractor with a Top Secret clearance is enough to get the HGP. It's one of the check boxes if you open a new application.

https://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=268874&d=1570575483

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Apr 28, 2021
    Do your employers have to provide something to the MSP? Like as part of the application or as references?

You need a letter and contact info for your security officer. They call and verify, asking for info that only the security officer would have.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I think I'll wait until later. I had tried to apply a long time ago just based on a threatening phone call and some other backup but was not successful. I had not recalled a clearance level being a good and substantial reason from way back when I looked at the application guidelines. I'll weigh the options and possible consequences. Thanks for sharing!

Jan 13, 2020

I recently got my HGP approved due to my clearance, but it comes with the restriction that I have to turn it in if I leave government work.

Has anyone ever tried to appeal this? I'm thinking that the "good and substantial reasons" wouldn't immediately change the second you got read out (i.e. OPM breach, media leaks, etc all had repercussions that could last years).

I don't know of anyone who appealed this, but meeting G&S was not just having a clearance and employed by gov/contractor. Daily access to material was also a necessity to meet G&S, so I'd imagine the appeal wouldn't go great.

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    You need a letter and contact info for your security officer. They call and verify, asking for info that only the security officer would have.

I know of 3 agencies that would never allow that! C,,,FB..and the SS.They would not want to compromise the safety of the employee and or relatives. If you were to display a " badge" or the sort , upon the purchase you might have a better chance .

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I don't know of anyone who appealed this, but meeting G&S was not just having a clearance and employed by gov/contractor. Daily access to material was also a necessity to meet G&S, so I'd imagine the appeal wouldn't go great.

MSP has changed that in the past couple of years, so now just having TS is enough. But you do have to get documentation confirming that you have it, which not every FSO/CSSO/etc is willing or allowed to provide.

Join MSI!

Mine says valid while maintaining active employment with the DOD. As hard as it was to get I left it at that. Best to let a sleeping dog lay IMHO. If your circumstances change then you can regroup and try a different angle. I have a plan B in place in case my FSO doesn’t pull through again when it comes time to renew.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

If that was a viable appeal I would have gotten a W&C Permit YEARS ago. You lose your clearance, you lose your permit. Period. End of story. Even though you haven't forgotten (or can't). The MSP LD doesn't understand that "the Paranoids are still out to get you..." Theirs is a very unique reality.

My advice is to use it while you have it, and hope the Supremes see things Constitutionally.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    I know of 3 agencies that would never allow that! C,,,FB..and the SS.They would not want to compromise the safety of the employee and or relatives. If you were to display a " badge" or the sort , upon the purchase you might have a better chance .

A fair portion of the Army doesn’t allow it either.

Quadtree

May 19, 2020
    Mine says valid while maintaining active employment with the DOD. As hard as it was to get I left it at that. Best to let a sleeping dog lay IMHO. If your circumstances change then you can regroup and try a different angle. I have a plan B in place in case my FSO doesn’t pull through again when it comes time to renew.
    Mine has the same language. I figured I would worry about the restriction if and when I do leave the DoD.

Same here if anything changes I can reapply/renew as a business owner with docs to back it up in a heartbeat. Hopefully nothing changes after the mid terms. I’ve seen some of the people that are interested in running for Gov. I’m 2022 and it doesn’t give me any confidence. I know lockem up Larry did relax the G&S requirement compared to what O’Malley had done.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I've got a similar issue...I've got a W&C, with the restriction "while employed with DOD". I'm retiring in two months (got offered a large buyout). But my G&S isn't just the clearance, it's that I'm publicly associated with test and operations of unmanned aircraft. VERY publicly...google my name and "UAV" and 7 of the top 10 hits are mine. So I think I've got a decent argument to retain my W&C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom