• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terryscf

Mar 10, 2021
    Anne Arundel County
    Hello,

I am pretty new to shooting and firearms. I have been doing a lot of learning and making my list of potential purchases. I am left-handed and I know the gun community is more right-handed friendly than left. Looking for opinions of the items below. I have purchased the Springfield and the GSG (even though the GSG is not ambi. Also requesting conversation on recommendations for other potential guns.

Beretta 92x
    Beretta APX
    Canik TP9 SF Elite (not ambi)
    Canik TP9 SFX
    CZ Shadow 2 Black & Blue
    FN FNX45
    ✅ GSG Firefly
    HK VP9
    Sig Sauer Compact P229 or P320
    Sig Sauer P320 X-Five Legion
    ✅ Springfield Armory XD-M Elite
    Walther PK380
    Walther PPQ Q5 Match

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I am a huge fan of the HK VP9.

It’s definitely ambi. It’s also my go to gun for any intensive training I attend.

Down side is the mag release muscle memory during drills. Up side is the very same mag release works ambi and quite well.

It’s a great gun that fits and points like it was made for me. That might be why there’s more than one in my kit.

I had a VP9 SK but never developed any real love for it. Hence it went down the road.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    The only adaption I make on my handguns are the magazine release. It only took one time drawing from a holster and accidentally hitting the mag release to release it was not a good idea to be on that side. Not to mention things like seat belts and other items accidentally pushing against it.

Besides that....learn how to run the gun as a righty. It is entirely possibly and you really aren't giving up that much. It a pain on the DA/SA guns with a decocker as there is no real easy way to do that as a lefty.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    H&K P7. No decocker. No safety. Ambi mag release. Really pricey, but I'm not counting your money.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    HK P30... Much like the VP9, but is hammer fired...

Ambi mag and slide release... (and yes, I'm also a lefty...)

Some of the new Glocks have ambi slide releases and a switchable mag release...

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Dad has a FNX-45

Not gonna lie, if I had seen it before getting talked into a 1911 and G21 I would have picked one up instead of the G21. Ergonomic, the grip just feels right and the (standard) magazine capacity is impressive. Big heavy gun so it tames the .45 nicely.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Beretta CX4 Storm converts easily to southpaw. Can take either the PX4 or 92 mags with the appropriate liner. Shoots reliably with the ejection port on either side. Pleasant to plink with, too.

Rented one at a range in Flalala a couple of years ago. MM Jr. swapped it to lefty in about 5 minutes without issue (the second time ...)

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Glock and learn to rack instead of. hitting slide release. (I think gen 4 and later had swappable mag release but it. may be gen 5 only)

FNX is definitely ambi-friendly

Stay away from anything SIG except the 320 and maybe the SP2022. The P-series pistols (p226, p229 etc) are Right hand biased due to non-swappable mag release and decocking lever (The mag release on the SP022 is reverse able, but the slide release and decocker are not..... probably not the best option)

HK are naturally ambi with no mods needed for mag release

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    I use my index finger on the slide release and middle finger for the mag release when shooting lefty. Decocker on a sig pretty easy to hit with index finger. Even on a Canik tp9da i can decock with index. Only thing I have to change is make sure that the gun does not have an extended mag release as those can make the mag drop accidently when shooting lefty. I really don't like the squared mag releases on the gen 4 and 5 glocks. The rounded Vickers works is much better and prevents accidental releases.

terryscf

Mar 10, 2021
    Anne Arundel County
    Hi All. Such great information and advice. I am not a Glock fan as I come from a police family and do not want to have my own standard-issue firearm. lol. Definitely looking for something eye-catching and works with my leftyness. I have been practicing with the Firefly to become more familiar with non-ambi guns.

Terry

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Colt SAA - Actually more natural for lefties than righties . ( Seriously )

And absolutely , develope and maintain skills with either hand .

And as touched above , many DA/ SA or striker pistols inherently are usable by lefties . I won't re- argue the Slide Release vs Slingshot debate , but Slingshot is certainly viable , and widely used by choice by shooters of all dominance persuasions .

At thar point, there are mag releases . Unless you are both left handed And extra stubby fingers , left index finger works fine .

Captain Waggles

Jul 11, 2018
    Dundalk, MD
    I am left handed and will put in another vote for the HK VP9. You really cant go wrong with that choice.

I'm with this guy. I'm left handed also and carried a VP9 and a Walther PPQ 45. The only thing I didn't like with ambi controls on the PPQ45 was the mag release was a push button instead of a lever release unlike the other caliber PPQ's but was reversible for lefty's. M&P 2.0's are another good choice and gen 5 glocks are ambi also. But with the VP9 also if you have small hands like me, the slide release for left hands is like a long lever so I can just flick my thumb to drop the slide

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    As mentioned above the CZ85B is great for lefthanded shooting, as are the Gen5 Glocks.

The Walther P88 and HK P7 are completely ambi, but are expensive.

Some guns are not made for lefthanded people, but arguably work better for lefties, like the Colt SAA, AK, and Feinwerkbau AW93. I also find that the slide stops on a lot of auto pistols are probably better-placed for lefthand trigger finger manipulation than rightside thumb manipulation, like with 1911s.

There is also the Walther P5, which isn't for lefthanded people, but oddly enough has a leftside ejector, so it ejects left.

cmb

Dec 28, 2012
    Conowingo MD
    I am left handed and will put in another vote for the HK VP9. You really cant go wrong with that choice.

We have a VP-9 L Optics Ready, Walther Q-5 Match 5 inch Optics Ready, SW M & P CORE 5 inch and a SW Shield EZ. My favorite of them all is the HK. I'm a lefty with wrecked hands and it's the easiest to rack, reach the mag drop and operate the slide lock of any pistol I've handled yet. The Q5 is dead last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom