• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    My wife inherited a Dan Wesson 357 that LOOKS like the 715 but has a wooden handle.

I sent an email/inquiry to them and they said they would know if they looked at it and wanted me to send it in. I sent the info of stamps and even serial number but they didn't know (or wouldn't release the info). This... makes me a little sketchy to send it in.

I KNOW the crane/ejector rod is bent a little and sometimes the cylinder sticks/jams and will not open. The other day the cylinder would hardly even rotate. Cleaned that up with some goof-off but... i want to strip and clean it. God only knows the last time THAT was done.

i'm hoping the good people of MDShooters can give me some feedback on the model so i can get a manual for it. Right now, i wouldn't know what parts to order if i found a piece that was bad (like the crane/ejector etc etc).

I'll post pictures later, once i cover up said serial number.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    My wife inherited a Dan Wesson 357 that LOOKS like the 715 but has a wooden handle.

I sent an email/inquiry to them and they said they would know if they looked at it and wanted me to send it in. I sent the info of stamps and even serial number but they didn't know (or wouldn't release the info). This... makes me a little sketchy to send it in.

I KNOW the crane/ejector rod is bent a little and sometimes the cylinder sticks/jams and will not open. The other day the cylinder would hardly even rotate. Cleaned that up with some goof-off but... i want to strip and clean it. God only knows the last time THAT was done.

i'm hoping the good people of MDShooters can give me some feedback on the model so i can get a manual for it. Right now, i wouldn't know what parts to order if i found a piece that was bad (like the crane/ejector etc etc).

I'll post pictures later, once i cover up said serial number.

As for the cylinder barely rotating, that COULD be that the barrel/cylinder gap is (was) set too tight.
    DW recommends .006" and included a feeler gauge in the box.

I've seen DWs that (later on) had the front-end of the cylinder 'not square' and the .006" was definitely needed for cylinder rotation.
    There's a 'barrel wrench' that tightens/loosens the barrel/shroud nut at the muzzle.

My 44VH-8 (also have 4" barrel/shroud) that get set to .003".

IF the gap is set too tight, that'll keep the cylinder from opening, too.

I THINK I still have a magazine/book written by Bob Milek, that shows the teardown/maintenance of both the .357 and .44 magnum DW revolvers. (And others.)
    IF I can remember to look, I'll go downstairs to my workshop and see IF that publication is still in one of the drawers.

Someone please refresh my memory........

The 715 was the Stainless .357 magnum, wasn't it?????

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    As for the cylinder barely rotating, that COULD be that the barrel/cylinder gap is (was) set too tight.
    DW recommends .006" and included a feeler gauge in the box.

I've seen DWs that (later on) had the front-end of the cylinder 'not square' and the .006" was definitely needed for cylinder rotation.
    There's a 'barrel wrench' that tightens/loosens the barrel/shroud nut at the muzzle.

IF the gap is set too tight, that'll keep the cylinder from opening, too.

The 715 was the Stainless .357 magnum, wasn't it?????

(removed some of quote)
    having gotten it from inheritance, and who knows where/when he got it.. the box and all the extra whizbangs are gone. the cylinder rotates but i didn't check if it rotates while the closed. before i cleaned it out. it wouldn't even rotate after kicking the cylinder out as if to empty/load it.

there is a shroud at the end, and it is stainless 357 magnum. It really does look just like the new 715, but has a wooden grip on it where i think the new ones come w/a rubber grip.

cmartin

Jun 11, 2009
    I have a 715VH , I would try to remove the barrel and shroud , clean it up and reinstall at the correct gap. Also check rotation while barrel is off?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    You may want to send it in or get it to a smith who is familiar with DW revolvers. Sounds like removing the cylinder and cleaning the action are required. Definitely a new cylinder base pin if it is bent. If there is consider cylinder end shake that could cause erratic hard to turn/close cylinder simply because the cylinder is not in the same place, fore and aft, all the time. Shims may be available for that revolver. Other relationships will be affected if endshake has developed and will subsequently need to be addressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom