• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BooRakka

Nov 22, 2017
    I just picked up a Ruger AR 556. It's my first rifle. I put the mag in and pressed the release and nothing happened. The button depressed, but the mag didn't drop. I loosened the release screw a couple turns and that didn't help. However, when I pushed out the takedown pin and separated the receivers, it fell out no problem. I put the mag back in (while the lower was still separated), made sure it was seated correctly, then pressed the release and it popped out with no problem. I put the receivers back together, tried again, and it wouldn't come out without a good bit of tugging, which is hard since its the stock 10 rd mag and tough to get a good handle on. It seems like some upper part of the magazine siding is getting caught on something else. It will come out but I need to pull the living daylights out of it after pressing the release.

Has anybody experienced this? Is it just a new system that needs to get broken in? I'm going to get a different mag and see if that helps.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Looking forward to hearing other stories about this.

I've never had any mag of any kind get stuck in any ARs.

The OP is on the right track in wanting to try other magazines.

Jan 25, 2017
    I just picked up a Ruger AR 556. It's my first rifle. I put the mag in and pressed the release and nothing happened. The button depressed, but the mag didn't drop. I loosened the release screw a couple turns and that didn't help. However, when I pushed out the takedown pin and separated the receivers, it fell out no problem. I put the mag back in (while the lower was still separated), made sure it was seated correctly, then pressed the release and it popped out with no problem. I put the receivers back together, tried again, and it wouldn't come out without a good bit of tugging, which is hard since its the stock 10 rd mag and tough to get a good handle on. It seems like some upper part of the magazine siding is getting caught on something else. It will come out but I need to pull the living daylights out of it after pressing the release.

Has anybody experienced this? Is it just a new system that needs to get broken in? I'm going to get a different mag and see if that helps.

Try some different magazines before altering or adjusting anything else. If different brand magazines and different magazines of the same brand all have the same problem, then the trouble will most likely lie somewhere the in receiver.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sounds like a mag 'lip' problem. If the mag lips are out of spec(Too tight), they could bind up on the bolt carrier. Metal mag OP?

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    You cannot make a diagnosis based on one mag. Try a P-Mag at least or another metal mag just to be sure.

**AND** - Please go to the Introduction section and do a quick intro. People here like to know who they are dealing with, especially since you have posted some questions in the 2A section. Otherwise you may find very few responses to your questions. It's an MDS thing......

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You cannot make a diagnosis based on one mag. Try a P-Mag at least or another metal mag just to be sure.

**AND** - Please go to the Introduction section and do a quick intro. People here like to know who they are dealing with, especially since you have posted some questions in the 2A section. Otherwise you may find very few responses to your questions. It's an MDS thing......
    This^^^

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also lock the bolt back and see if that makes a difference on the magazine dropping free.

BooRakka

Nov 22, 2017
    Got a pmag and it worked like a charm. Outrider, I think you're right. I compared the top of the old and new mags. The lips on the original metal one are longer and curved in farther. I'm going to email Ruger and see if I can get a replacement.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Got a pmag and it worked like a charm. Outrider, I think you're right. I compared the top of the old and new mags. The lips on the original metal one are longer and curved in farther. I'm going to email Ruger and see if I can get a replacement.

Those mags are usually junk. Use another mag such as a good Brownells GI Aluminum Mag, Lancer, or PMag

Thank Chad(clandestine)^^^ He's a great teacher. :thumbsup:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You can probably modify the lips and it’ll work fine. I have a 10rnd aluminum .223 ASC mag. The front wall was about 1mm too tall and rounds would bang in to it instead of properly getting shoved out. A round file and about 30 seconds of work cleaned it up.

I haven’t checked them yet, but all of the Grendel mags I got are ASC. At the time they were the only sellers that weren’t like $35 a piece. I figure at worst it might be light file work or needle nose pliers to get them in perfect shape.

I LOVE Lancer mags, but I’ve noticed all of mine if I load to capacity I can’t get them to lock in with the bolt forward. Bolt back, no issue. -1 round and they lock in fine. My PMAGs of all capacity lock in with a good smack with the bolt forward when loaded to max capacity.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I guess old habits are hard to break but I have stayed with Okay USGI style metal mags. They are the closest thing to what Uncle issued to us in '73. I have them in 10, 20 and 30 round capacities and they all feed reliably, function well in my guns, and can be dropped while full without damage. I would bet my life on them. I have seen Lancers destroyed when dropped!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I guess old habits are hard to break but I have stayed with Okay USGI style metal mags. They are the closest thing to what Uncle issued to us in '73. I have them in 10, 20 and 30 round capacities and they all feed reliably, function well in my guns, and can be dropped while full without damage. I would bet my life on them. I have seen Lancers destroyed when dropped!

??? At what height? I tend to try to be careful with all my gear when I can help it, but I’ve accidentally dropped PMAGs and Lancer 30rnd Mags when full on the bottom and no cracks or anything. I’ve had rounds pop out, but that is it. This is landing on concrete from a stand position.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Here is a link to a video that will demonstrate what I am talking about. I generally do not trust polymer magazines because I have yet to find one immune to this. I have dropped metal mags and picked them up and never had a malfunction afterwards. I have never even dented a metal mag when dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tktaCwTQO8

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    He talks about them malfunctioning...but I don’t see him actively demonsatrating a working mag, some droppage and then it malfunctioning. I can’t claim decades of experience, or even hundreds of drop tests, but I am still 0 for at least 20 or 30 empties and a few full/partial mags accidentally dropped on hard surfaces from several feet up.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    At about 1:40 into the video he says that he dropped a mag with 10 rounds on a carpeted floor and broke the magazine follower. He also demonstrates that when they become even a little bit dirty that they will jam.

Since I know what it is like to have your life depend on your gear, I refuse to take the risk of using any polymer magazine in my rifles as I have found failures demonstrated on most of them when used in less than ideal conditions.

If I could get Okay metal mags for my Glock, I would buy them in a second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom