How long does HQL approval usually take?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elec-engr

Oct 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I got fingerprinted yesterday afternoon, filled out my on-line HQL application (training exempt because I already own an old legal handgun) and submitted it yesterday evening. I checked earlier today and it is showing as "Active", with a license number "HQL-2018-xxxxxx", certification date of today, and expiration date in 10 years. Also says a physical ID card will be mailed.

Is this real? Approval in less than one day?

Cheers,
    elec-engr

p.s. I'm a new member, this is my first post, so please be kind :)

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Statute gives the MSP 30 days to have the card back to you supposing your record and application are good to go.

Generally, most people get theirs in 2-3 weeks, depending on how busy MSP is. Could be more or less the same for you.

PS: Go ahead and introduce yourself here and welcome.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

elec-engr

Oct 10, 2018
    Howard County
    DC-W, thanks for the info. I just didn't expect to go from Pending to Active in less than 24 hours. I guess we'll see how long it takes to get the ID card.

Also did an intro of myself, thanks for the tip.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    DC-W, thanks for the info. I just didn't expect to go from Pending to Active in less than 24 hours. I guess we'll see how long it takes to get the ID card.

Also did an intro of myself, thanks for the tip.

They mail out the cards on Fridays so you should have it in hand early next week.

Gorba

Deplorable Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 24, 2018
    Annapolis
    I was approved in two days and received the card in the mail on the tenth day after submitting the application.

elec-engr

Oct 10, 2018
    Howard County
    OK, just figured out that there is a great search function on this forum and that there are a wealth of posts answering my original question. Turns out one day approval is not unusual, but I still have to wait until they mail me the license.

So thanks for everyone who responded, and my apologies for not doing the search sooner.

elec-engr

Baskibicki2

Feb 20, 2019
    I submitted mine 3 days ago and there is zero progress on the website. Guess some people are luckier than others

Firstwarrior

Aug 30, 2019
    Yeah. I submitted on Aug 16, they didn’t approve till the 26, and still no card. So annoying. My gun has been waiting at the shop for over a week, I guess I won’t get the card till next Tuesday which means I won’t get the gun till the following Tuesday. So over a month wait. Lol. I am LITERALLY waiting for my background check to clear, so they can make me wait another week to do another one. Lol.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Yeah. I submitted on Aug 16, they didn’t approve till the 26, and still no card. So annoying. My gun has been waiting at the shop for over a week, I guess I won’t get the card till next Tuesday which means I won’t get the gun till the following Tuesday. So over a month wait. Lol. I am LITERALLY waiting for my background check to clear, so they can make me wait another week to do another one. Lol.

They mail the cards out on Fridays.

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I submitted my paperwork on Aug 11th, received card in mail on Aug 22nd. Was worrying it would take the full 30 days but was pleasantly surprised. I got a letter in the mail Aug 13th about a background check and that was it. Just a note, the HQL portal didn't update anything until it was set as status active. I wouldn't use that as a indicator of what's happening

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom