• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    anybody have any favorite jerkey marinade recipes? I'd rather make the mix than store buy, plus the wife gets migraines after eating peppers (the veggie not the little seed thing you grind) so I know what's in it.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    just got me 2 hind quarters, 2 fish, 2 loins, 1 front courtesy of Mr, .300 winchester magnum :D

jorjohn11

Feb 26, 2006
    Anne Arundel County
    Has anyone had sour beef (deer) and dumplings? My wife got a recipe from her german grandmother and I cut all the connecting tissue and sinew and that blue looking stuff away from any part of the deer and she uses that instead of beef. You almost need a spoon because the meat just falls apart and melts in your mouth:drool:.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Best kabob marinade:

4 parts kikoman teriyaki (not the thick stuff)
    1 part kikoman soy sauce
    2 parts red wine
    1 part state fair spaetzle marinade or good italian dressing.

Adjust proportions to your taste. Add Franks Red hot if you like a little spice. Let it sit overnight.

Grill on skewers with quartered onions and green peppers.

You can also marinade the peppers in the same mix and they are awesome!

i've used this on the toughest rump steak and it's come out like butter.

I wonder if cooking it like lamb would have any adverse effects? such as flavor etc...just curious...its been a long while since i had fresh venison...it was worth the wait...I like killing my own deer but wouldnt/dont mind taking any;) but rarely do:) just a matter of principle for me...but I dont mind giving it away to certain people...not just every one...

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    I like to make Shisk a bobs with mine. I use any cut shoulder, ham or? and I use the CHEAP Italian Salad dressing, the one that you ad the vinagar/oil etc with. cut into 1 inch chunks I let this sit overnite in the fridge with green peppers, onions and mushrooms and cook over a open flame.

Even the NON BELIEVERS will Luv this.

Jim

Jettster

May 18, 2008
    Best way to prepare Venison is to Braise it. This will significantly cut down on the gamey flavor and make it fork tender.

2 tablespoons olive oil
    4lbs Venison
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
    2 carrots, sliced
    3 celery ribs, sliced
    3 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
    One 750-milliliter bottle dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
    4 thyme sprigs
    3 cups chicken stock

1. In a large skillet, heat the oil. Season the Venison with salt and pepper. Add them to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until browned and crusty, about 18 minutes. Transfer the ribs to a shallow baking dish in a single layer.

2. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic to the skillet and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until very soft and lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Add the wine and thyme sprigs and bring to a boil over high heat. Pour the hot marinade over the Venison and let cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning the Venison once.

3. Preheat the oven to 350°. Transfer the Venison and marinade to a large, enameled cast-iron casserole (or Crock Pot). Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover and cook in the lower third of the oven for 1 1/2 hours, until the meat is tender but not falling apart. Uncover and braise for 45 minutes longer, turning the Venison once or twice, until the sauce is reduced by about half and the meat is very tender. (If using a CrockPot, cook on Medium for 3.5 Hours).

4. Transfer the meat to a clean shallow baking dish. Strain the sauce into a heatproof measuring cup and skim off as much fat as possible (if using a crockPot simmer sauce in a saute pan until reduced to about 2 cups).

5. Preheat the broiler. Broil the meat, turning once or twice, until glazed and sizzling, about 10 minutes. Transfer the meat to plates, spoon the sauce on top and serve.

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    I have found that adding olive oil to any marinade helps make the meat taste better. Don't ask me why, but someone recommended that I add olive oil and have done it ever since. Beef, chicken, venison...it works wonders.

Holden McGroin

I'm the Juggernaut..Bitch
    Jan 9, 2008
    Dameron, MD
    I've found an overnight marinade in Buttermilk helps take out most of the game flavor. It works on fish too. I really love taking the back strap and butterflying them; searing them quickly in a cast iron pan; then finishing in a hot oven until medium rare and no more. Remove them from the pan, and make a quick red wine reduction sauce in the same pan....mmmm...mmmm !!

Pauly3J

Oct 16, 2009
    This marinade is great for pretty much any cut. It's fantastic with the backstraps.

-1/4 C olive oil
    -2 Tbsp soy sauce
    -2 Tsp Montreal Steak seasoning

Cut the meat into 1/4" to 1/2" thick slices to make small medallions. You can do this with a roast too, just try to trim any silverskin out as you go. Marinade ovenight. Hot, hot grill just char the meat, it only takes a minute or two on each side. mmmm, mmmm, I can smell it now...

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Ok, so I have six backstraps, and four hind quarters. Deer jerky is a done deal with some of the hinds. Looking for suggestions for preparing and cooking meat to minimize gamey flavor and maximize tenderness. I've heard a million suggestions, from soaking in milk to marinating in vinegar to getting hunter's gravy packets to cooking in bacon grease. How bout posting your best recipes and preparations?

Marinate with Worcestershire sauce, Soy sauce, Browning sauce, garlic salt, black pepper, onion spice, and a pinch of ground red pepper. Add enough water to cover bottom of a crock pot, set on low and walk away for 2 hours. Deer is super low in fat and if you cook it fast, you can play a few quarters of basketball with it later.

I'm not sure about the "gamey flavor" part, I was born eating deer, so, that means nothing. If it tastes gamey, it was not marinated right. You can marinate deer for about 48 hours. I usually marinate it minimum 48 when I make jerky. Making jerky is fun / expensive, but, fun. If you want make jerky or burgers, go buy a Waring Pro MG100 meat grinder and make jerky and burgers. I use my MG100 and that thing is just badass.

You can also use the dry gravy packets at 1 packet per pound of deer as a curing mix for your jerky and this gives the taste impression of being beef, I use the same as a dry rub for cooking loins on the grill and you can also use the dry gravy as a rub for use in the crock pot, just don't pour water over the meat or you defeat the purpose of the dry rub, don't wash it off in other words.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    This marinade is great for pretty much any cut. It's fantastic with the backstraps.

-1/4 C olive oil
    -2 Tbsp soy sauce
    -2 Tsp Montreal Steak seasoning

My wife bought some of this Montreal seasoning, I think it's a Mc Cormick product ?, and personally, I think it has about 95% Salt in it. We use the spices and rubs from Pampered Chef and the nice thing about their spices is, you use a lot less of it, for a lot more flavoring. Their Southwest and Asian rubs give some serious new light to deer meat.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    HOLY SMOKES BATMAN... Backstraps are the best thing in the world! cooking for 40 minutes? a little salt, pepper, throw on the grill for maybe 4-5 minutes on each side depending on how thick you cut them. Serve rare-medium rare!!!! Perfection! My family doesn't care much for the steaks and roasts so now I get the backstraps and tenderloin and have the rest ground into burger. My butcher adds 10 percent beef fat to the burger so they can barely tell the difference now.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    HOLY SMOKES BATMAN... Backstraps are the best thing in the world! cooking for 40 minutes? a little salt, pepper, throw on the grill for maybe 4-5 minutes on each side depending on how thick you cut them. Serve rare-medium rare!!!! Perfection! My family doesn't care much for the steaks and roasts so now I get the backstraps and tenderloin and have the rest ground into burger. My butcher adds 10 percent beef fat to the burger so they can barely tell the difference now.

Way to resurrect and 8 year old thread. It’s going to be a little chewy having sat in the freezer that long.

:lol:

I prefer my backstraps with a nice molasses glaze with a little ketchup, some worchester sauce and a few drops of cider vinegar. Glaze it up, then wrap it in turkey bacon (holds the juices better than pork bacon). Grill it on the lowest heat for about 50 minutes and serve it up sliced thin.

My wife is okay on venison. She enjoys ground. Everything else is meh. Except back straps. I was going to donate the last deer of the season to a neighbor both because I had plenty in the freezer and my neighbor also had had no luck getting out so far. That and my wife threatened me if I brought home any more (we had about 80lbs in the freezer at that point and that is a SOLID years worth if not more for us).

But she goes, “wait, you are going to keep the backstraps though...right?”

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    Way to resurrect and 8 year old thread. ....

LOL . Avatar named Lazarus... resurrect.... ok, I found that funny.

And since the thread is alive again, my 2c while I'm here.

I'd agree with most of the thread, backstraps go right on the grill. The rest I had two separate butchers I'd take the meat too. One made a fantastic ring bologna that was a great substitute for peperoni on pizzas. The other made jerky and a summer sausage. The rest I'd grind and mix with ground pork for hamburger patties.

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    My best backstrap to date. Coarse salt, pepper, garlic powder (1 to 1 to .5 ratio). Enough olive oil added to make a paste. Rub on outside of backstrap. Smoke on smoker at 235 degrees until internal temp hits 130-135. Wrap in aluminum foil and let rest for half an hour. Slice thin. It’s absolutely amazing. Took it to a Christmas party and people thought it was a cut of filet.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

we dont even add fat to ground venison. Depends on the cut like you said but I go 1minute 30sec to 1min 45 for a perfect medium rare. approximately 1/2" cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom