• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    United had a C&R Mk. I Target for $275 a few months ago.

You can find Standards cheap on Gunbroker because everyone calls them Mk. Is. An auction that's correctly labeled as a Standard slips under the radar occasionally. I got one for the starting bid because no one else bid on it, but then the shop managed to rip me off on shipping.

The Mk. I is certainly nicer with the heavy barrel and target sights, but the Standard is still quite enjoyable to shoot and accurate.

I've seen the pricing all over the map. Some people on Gunbroker are smoking dope I swear

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Have a coworker who is just getting in to shooting. Wants a .22 and wants it to be C&R so he doesn't have to get the HQL. He handled my old man's MKII target and liked it.

If you were on the hunt for a C&R Ruger would you go with the standard or the MK I target and why?

Also casually WTB a C&R Ruger Standard or MKI target :lol2: he has me in the mood to get one now.

Just curious...why doesn't he want to get an HQL?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    United had a C&R Mk. I Target for $275 a few months ago.

My understanding is that United will still require an HQL even if the gun is C&R eligible.

I'd love to be proved wrong.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    You're right. I will never cross the door of a dealer who imposes their own extra rules. Bite me.

Yeah, so much for standing on principle in the firearms "community."

No HQL for me, thanks. Some people understand; I've bought C&R stuff from several LGSs. They express a wish that I'd get the HQL, but they seem to understand my reluctance. And they're pleased to take my money for items that meet the unreasonable criteria of the state.

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    HQL and United

My understanding is that United will still require an HQL even if the gun is C&R eligible.

Not true. I had a very satisfying transaction for a C&R handgun with United earlier this month. You just click the HQL exception on the on-line 77R.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Yeah, so much for standing on principle in the firearms "community."

No HQL for me, thanks. Some people understand; I've bought C&R stuff from several LGSs. They express a wish that I'd get the HQL, but they seem to understand my reluctance. And they're pleased to take my money for items that meet the unreasonable criteria of the state.
    Were you able to do all the paperwork in the shop, or did you need to register with the MSP website, with an ID, and pin #?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Were you able to do all the paperwork in the shop, or did you need to register with the MSP website, with an ID, and pin #?

IIRC, it was all done in the shop, including dicking about with the MSP website; at least, that was the case for the more recent ones. A few others were handled before the computer stuff.

I admit the computer site eats a lot of time and generates a lot of annoyance, which I figure is par for the course in MD, intentional or otherwise.

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co

There was no "paper" work. United handed me a laptop. I registered and completed the 77R online. I did have to check a couple emails on my phone, but it really didn't take any longer than the last one I did on paper. One week later at 6am I got an email saying "congratulations, Your application is Not Disapproved and can go pick up your purchase during regular business hours." I'm usually skeptical, but at least this time, the system worked.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    There was no "paper" work. United handed me a laptop. I registered and completed the 77R online. I did have to check a couple emails on my phone, but but it really didn't take any longer than the last one I did on paper. One week later at 6am I got an email saying "congratulations, Your application is Not Disapproved and can go pick up your purchase during regular business hours." I'm usually skeptical, but at least this time, the system worked.

This is how Tyler Firearms is doing it now. Just there with my buddy yesterday. Was pretty painless

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    IIRC, it was all done in the shop, including dicking about with the MSP website; at least, that was the case for the more recent ones. A few others were handled before the computer stuff.

I admit the computer site eats a lot of time and generates a lot of annoyance, which I figure is par for the course in MD, intentional or otherwise.
    Thank you!

There was no "paper" work. United handed me a laptop. I registered and completed the 77R online. I did have to check a couple emails on my phone, but it really didn't take any longer than the last one I did on paper. One week later at 6am I got an email saying "congratulations, Your application is Not Disapproved and can go pick up your purchase during regular business hours." I'm usually skeptical, but at least this time, the system worked.
    Thank you!

Not keen on registering with MSP, just as I am not keen on the HQL, but I could much more easily do the ID / pin# shtick (for a C&R handgun), than an HQL.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

And I've been proved wrong.

They no longer implement this policy.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads