AR-15 Pistol Backup Sight Recommendation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    I'd like to add backup sights to a 10.5" AR-15 pistol in 5.56. It gets very hot near the muzzle. I am considering Magpul MBUS but am wondering if the polymer can withstand the heat. Any experience with this or recommendations? I'm not looking to spend a whole lot on something I don't intend to use much.

Thanks.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Attachments

• 20181226_194916.jpg
      20181226_194916.jpg
      66.3 KB · Views: 243

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    If it gets hot near the muzzle (I am assuming due to supressors use or a handguard that covers part of the muzzle) then I would go aluminum.

Obviously you will pay for a really good set but utg makes a set that are cheap and serviceable. They are not fantastic, but should do the job

You could also probably find a used set of higher quality on eBay such as a set of aluminum Magpul pros.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud

Thanks; that's a good deal. At that price I could almost buy a set just to see if they burn up :-)

If it gets hot near the muzzle (I am assuming due to supressors use or a handguard that covers part of the muzzle) then I would go aluminum.

Obviously you will pay for a really good set but utg makes a set that are cheap and serviceable. They are not fantastic, but should do the job

You could also probably find a used set of higher quality on eBay such as a set of aluminum Magpul pros.

Thanks for the idea. I checked the Leapers/UTG web site and see they have a few aluminum front sights. I'll call on Tue to find out the differences unless someone here knows.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Springfield Armory Saint Edge Pistol uses MBUS front & rear. Haven't read anything or seen (youtube) negative about them.

Not to hijack the tread, 7 day waiting period for the AR Pistol?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    MBUS have won many torture tests. I have never heard of them melting.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Daniel Defense make a nice set of fixed aluminum sights. They definitely won't melt.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    I ordered a set of the Magpul MBUS and also plan to get a set of the UTG Spring-Loaded Flip-up Sights to compare. The MBUS Pros are nice; I have the LR version on a rifle. Those and the DD are a bit more than I had planned to spend on the pistol.

I could update this once I've used the three types if people are interested.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    pistol requires hql & wait

Springfield Armory Saint Edge Pistol uses MBUS front & rear. Haven't read anything or seen (youtube) negative about them.

Not to hijack the tread, 7 day waiting period for the AR Pistol?

I had to wait seven days for the stripped lower used to build the AR pistol. If you're buying a pistol in MD -- AR or otherwise -- then I think that you need an HQL (unless exempt) and must also wait the seven days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom