• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    What are the pros and cons on a lever action .22WMR vs a pump action .22WMR? These are both Henry's. I already have a lever action .22lr a Marlin 39A. I'm thinking the pump action rifle MIGHT be more prone to feeding problems, but that's just a hunch. The lever action has a 24 inch barrel which I think would be really cool for the round to get maximum velocity and accuracy. The pump action might be more fun to shoot...

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The Marlin is a classic. Pump or lever doesn't matter...it just depends on what you want to have fun with at the time. Every gun is individual...learn each and how to avoid potential issues.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Lever guns are way cooler - otherwise....? I'm not sure it matters that much - if it functions and works properly, then it works.

I've had .22s in both lever and pump - I prefer the lever.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Love a lever gun but a good pump gallery gun is compact, fast and reliable. If you short stroke either one it will jam.

They are kissing cousins anyways.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Any lever action rifle is just cool. Think about how cool that lever action shotgun was. Lever action=Cool.

/Thread

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Well, I do not have any experience with Henrys. That said I have a Marlin 57M in 22mag which is a lever and I have shot and hunted with for a few years. I have access to a Winchester 61 and a Browning pump 22 mag. I have not had any issues with the lever. The pumps were more sensitive to ammo selection and less than stellar cleaning practices.

Also, the pump actions stroke is very short so it feels wrong (make your own joke here).

I would not trade the Marlin 57M for either of those rifles.

The Marlin 57M has a 24-inch barrel and feels like a rifle. It is also heavy for a rimfire but is does the business on small game. It is also a hit with new shooters.

Good luck and let us know what you decide

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Pumps are easier to shoot fast, being you don't break your grip or stance, some pump older models lacking a disconnect can be "slam fired" if you hold the trigger down like the original Colt Lightning or 1897s. Levers are fun too, no real bad way to go IMO. In either, I might consider 22LR instead of mag, the tube mag and manual action are friggin awesome with shorts, CB caps or colibris, can't do that with magnum chambering

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Pumps are easier to shoot fast, being you don't break your grip or stance, some pump older models lacking a disconnect can be "slam fired" if you hold the trigger down like the original Colt Lightning or 1897s. Levers are fun too, no real bad way to go IMO. In either, I might consider 22LR instead of mag, the tube mag and manual action are friggin awesome with shorts, CB caps or colibris, can't do that with magnum chambering
    My Dad told me that when he got his first Marlin 39A, he got to a point where he could toss a tin can in the air and hit it 3 times on the way down. He was never one to exaggerate. To me, that's pretty danged fast.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    What are the pros and cons on a lever action .22WMR vs a pump action .22WMR? These are both Henry's. I already have a lever action .22lr a Marlin 39A. I'm thinking the pump action rifle MIGHT be more prone to feeding problems, but that's just a hunch. The lever action has a 24 inch barrel which I think would be really cool for the round to get maximum velocity and accuracy. The pump action might be more fun to shoot...
    I've been on a 22 WMR mini binge this year (semi, levers, bolt). I was also shopping for rimfire pumps and got a couple of old Remingtons that can run 22 S/L/LR cartridges. I was considering the Henry pump in 22 WMR, but it's had too many problems in the last few years (lots of reports in different forums) that I wouldn't feel comfortable ordering one. Otherwise the price was very appealing. There are some great priced 22 WMR bolt action rifles available right now that I'm looking at (and can send you a link or two if interested).

I'd probably save for an old Winchester or Browning if still shopping for a 22 WMR pump. If I wanted a quality 22 WMR lever at a decent price, I'd get the Henry.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom