• ...and so much more!
  • Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Again, for the new people here.

The first question you have to answer is.
    "Am I an person who can legally purchase, own or possess a handgun?" If "yes", legal.
    If the answer is "no". 80% are illegal for you.
    Second, "Are you making it for personal use?
    Answer ,"no". Illegal
    Or "with the intent of selling it?"
    Answer "yes" illegal.

Sticky this please.
    The point is after you have finished your 80% project. Most handgun laws are applicable. Serial#'s are optional, unless you decide after to sell it.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I just sent Norton a message asking him if he would let me throw together a stickied omni-thread for these topics. If he's good with that, I'll get it going.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I plan to make them and keep them if I do more then one which is likely
    will serial number them if possible with my info on them

It's a grey area ,that can be hard to find answers to. I have guys at work that swear I'm breaking the law. They are actually worried about me. I hope we can consolidate a lot of stuff into a stickey.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It's a grey area ,that can be hard to find answers to. I have guys at work that swear I'm breaking the law. They are actually worried about me. I hope we can consolidate a lot of stuff into a stickey.
    So, I was thinking about the serialization thing, and there's an argument to be made that, if you think the MD GA is gonna ban ghost guns, you should serialize your guns right now before they get around to that.

Reason is, right now, you pick your own serial, and you don't need to tell the ATF or MSP. So you de facto still have your ghost gun (because the serial leads nowhere), and dodge the probable reporting of that serial to the MSP (which I strongly suspect will be a component of the law).

Right now, as far as I can tell, I could just punch the numbers 1 through 3 into my three P80 builds and I would be good to go.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Don't own a soul destroyer... Wonder how polymer holds up under 45ACP?

I guess if Glock offers the G21, the question has been answered.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rob b

c@r collecting
    So, I was thinking about the serialization thing, and there's an argument to be made that, if you think the MD GA is gonna ban ghost guns, you should serialize your guns right now before they get around to that.

Reason is, right now, you pick your own serial, and you don't need to tell the ATF or MSP. So you de facto still have your ghost gun (because the serial leads nowhere), and dodge the probable reporting of that serial to the MSP (which I strongly suspect will be a component of the law).

Right now, as far as I can tell, I could just punch the numbers 1 through 3 into my three P80 builds and I would be good to go.

probably gonna do my name or initials and a low number or single one just to identify as mine

and hopefully laser engraved

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Is it time for a stickied thread on building your own Glock? I'd be happy to run that show, I've built enough of them by now.

Yes. I have the 80% frame but my skills is small. I'm not an experienced drill press user and I have no mill. I know I can do it. (Yahoos on YouTube can do it.) But I would really appreciate a decent guide to the actual process.

If there's someone in AA County who can help me with the first, I'll buy the pizza and beer.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    thanks guys...more money to spend, been looking at the "poly" guns
    in the 1911 thing at the moment, more projects, been following some
    building over at Calguns and another forum....looks like time to acquire
    some parts.....again...the mill is on hold again it seems...

-Rock

rob b

c@r collecting
    first puzzle piece

Attachments

• p80.jpg
      p80.jpg
      57.3 KB · Views: 293

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    My recommendations. To avoid my problems.

1. Recoil spring channel/U notch. Has to be perfect.

2. Takedown lever and spring. Make sure the spring is fully seated. It goes down farther than you think.

3. Don't use a drill press. I didn't, but some have. If you run the bit all the way threw. It could cause the pins to walk out later.

4. I polished the locking block and rear rail. Just because it seems like a good idea. I think it helped. Just where the slide touches.

5. You can find deals and save money. You can also spend a lot. Upgrades can add up.

6. Most ppl say, "stay with factory Glock parts " and that is safe. I used all aftermarket stuff. I haven't had any issues so far. YMMV.

7. Have fun.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    1. Recoil spring channel/U notch. Has to be perfect.
    I find that this is basically impossible to nail on the first try, and you need to have the one you're using on hand. This goes double for after-market recoil guide rods, because they tend to have larger backs that touch the barrel,.

4. I polished the locking block and rear rail. Just because it seems like a good idea. I think it helped. Just where the slide touches.
    I'd go a step further and say that lapping the slide to the rails can be very helpful. But you don't want to do this on the cheap... get the proper lapping compound from Brownells.

5. You can find deals and save money. You can also spend a lot. Upgrades can add up.
    Very true. I think the important thing is to get right is when you buy your slide and barrel. IMHO, unless you have compelling reason not to, ALWAYS buy threaded and RMR cut. The cost difference is trivial, it has almost-nil holster impact, and it gives you more long-term upgrade options.

6. Most ppl say, "stay with factory Glock parts " and that is safe. I used all aftermarket stuff. I haven't had any issues so far. YMMV.
    As long as you're willing to deal with making it reliable, I don't think there's anything wrong with this. I personally like to start with OEM and make my upgrades from there.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    My biggest hit on costs were slide and barrel. RMR cut and cerakote'd, but it was what I wanted. Faxon dimpled barrel was really stupid, but it's a top quality pipe.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    Yes. I have the 80% frame but my skills is small. I'm not an experienced drill press user and I have no mill. I know I can do it. (Yahoos on YouTube can do it.) But I would really appreciate a decent guide to the actual process.

If there's someone in AA County who can help me with the first, I'll buy the pizza and beer.

Per Polymer80, do not use a drill press, use a handheld drill.

You don't need a mill. You can score the 4 plastic rectangles with a utility knife, snap them off with a pair of pliers then use a small file to smooth them even with the jig.

I used my Dremel with a small milling bit to cut the recoil spring hole.

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    I'm very happy with mine--a compact G19 that I built last month and a sub-compact G26 that I built today. I used a drill press for the milling on the first one, but for the second I just used a Dremel on the recoil spring channel and whittled off the tabs with a utility knife, then sanded with 320 and 600 grit to polish. If you're used to working with tools on smallish stuff, it's not difficult at all.

Put 100 rounds of steel cased Barnaul 115gr FMJ through them out in the backyard range this afternoon. Both ran without a hiccup, though the ETS 10 round mag they sold with the G19 is a stinker...only holds 9 rounds, and they're a bear to put in.

dsc00048.jpg

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Any particular issues with the earlier Spectre kits ? I've got a G19 version.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The PF940v1 is not well-regarded, and is considered somewhat suspect in terms of durability, due to the polymer rear rails.

Mine has the metal rear block, but I think it's earlier since they aren't using the Spectre name any longer. I know I've had it two years or so, based on email invoices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom