Which is better 2 point, 3 point, or no sling?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What one TYPE of sling that works well for most long guns?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    I think using a rifle in an emergency no sling is really necessary, but you'll have to drop or lay it down if you have to use both hands, so generally I like slings.

One point sling seems a bit better for those that only carry a rifle for a few hours or less at a time, like police/security.

Two point sling may be better for those that must carry a rifle for long periods of time, or on a long march, where the sling better helps carry the weight of the rifle on your body.

I read a few threads here on this topic in general, wanted to try a poll. Question is, if you are Harry homeowner, and want one TYPE of sling that works well for various long guns (shotguns, hunting rifles, defense, SBR, etc.) what one TYPE is your most preferred, or 'go to' for most applications?

Also, I found this video very interesting, new to me:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sv765RMxkM

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    For me the answer is a quick adjust 2 point sling. VTAC, Ferro Concepts, Blue Force Gear, etc. They are all good, though lately I tend to prefer the Ferro Concepts Slingster.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Much depends on your weapon, training, and needs, there really isn't a single sling that works for every purpose. A 2pt sling will be setup quite diffferently if you just want a shoulder sling to simply carry a hunting rifle vs a sling to use as shooting support vs a 2pt tactical sling to carry, and deploy across body in the front. Even single points can have their place with SBRs and pistols, or when you want quick transitions with minimal sling manipulation. I'll run a sling on most rifles, usually QD points on either side near the butt, one close to the grip, and either side of the handguard, I might move the points closer or further apart depending on the purpose of that particular rifle, even with the same type of rifle and sling.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    For an AR I prefer a sling that can do 1 or 2 points with QR fittings in 3 places on the rifle. 1 point for tactical use and 2 points for extended carry time.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    When open carrying in the mall I prefer the 1 point sling for my AK pistol.

But honestly, I think it all depends how thick your body armor is. I have a hard time getting a 2 point comfortably around the 3 layers of ceramic plates when I am at Mondawmin.

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    Thanks for the feedback, and votes, I see this poll thing works well.

my hope was to maybe find a sling that could pretty much 'do it all' so if I learned to use one sling, I could put it on any long gun I owned. Everyones situation is different, I have no dedicated or even primary purpose, so don't imagine carrying a long gun for a long time, although I do already have inexpensive, very basic slings on a few hunting/defense long guns.

Anyone watch that video I posted? Its of a 1-point sling, but the guy using it shows a couple ways he uses it to get more stability and is able to transport mode it with just a simple technique. His technique I think will work with any 1-point sling, and really appears to solve the major drawbacks to a single point sling.

Of the two point slings I've been looking at I'm leaning toward the Ferro Concepts Slingster . and the Proctor 2-point slings.

I think the single point sling the guy in the video recommended is called the Basham Sling, but all I could find was this kinda old FaceBook page, no prices, no idea if he's still making them: https://www.facebook.com/Basham-Slings-264576903676545/

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    For an AR I prefer a sling that can do 1 or 2 points with QR fittings in 3 places on the rifle. 1 point for tactical use and 2 points for extended carry time.
    Here's a guy who got it right. When you are running and gunning, single-point slings are where it's at... but for just carrying them around, two-point is a lot more comfy. A sling where you can go from one to the other is pretty handy.

My absolute favorite sling in that vein is my Urban ERT. It is a little complicated to use and not cheap, but it's almost infinitely flexible and modular. It also has a VERY comfy seatbelt-material 2" wide section that is excellent for carrying heavy rifles. I used a Magpul MS2 with my Galil once upon a time, and that sucker was just cutting into my neck after a while. I use Magpul paraclips on mine for locking attachment to sling points.

That said, one my favorite two point slings is an IDF "silent sling" where it has a plastic buckle you can unhook to make the sling longer... go short when carrying, go long when it's time to run and gun. Very intuitive, and works well.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I don't run single point slings because they have a tendency to allow my rifle to tag me in the sack if I have to drop the weapon, and they are more annoying to stow if I need both my hands. That said they work fine for the most part. If the OP doesn't want to choose, I suggest going with a two point that can transition to single point via QD mounts. I like the thicker VTAC for this because it seems to be the most stable. That said, if I can only pick one sling it's going to be a two point and it's going to be QD and quick adjust. To me that is the most versatile and stable. I prefer two points on SBRs and SBRlike pistols, too.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    I don't run single point slings because they have a tendency to allow my rifle to tag me in the sack if I have to drop the weapon

The Patrol Incident Gear (PIG) Drop-Slider sling is designed to, when you release your rifle, allow the weapon to slide around to your side, and hang there, instead of dangling in front of you.

As with other slings, the main body of the sling wraps around your torso, and a a short webbing extension ("pigtail") runs between the main body of the sling and your rifle.

However, the way they implemented the extension strap is different from other designs I've seen.

On the Drop-Slider, a rectangular loop ring encircles the webbing of the sling body, allowing the sling to slide freely within that rectangular loop ring.

A pigtail connector is sewn around that rectangular loop ring and, at the outermost end of the pigtail, there's a quick release buckle. That quick release buckle allows you to customize the type of connector that interfaces with your rifle - QD swivel, HK hook, or webbing length.

When you drop the rifle, the design of the pigtail allows gravity to carry the rifle away from your centerline, and bring it to rest at your side.

My general preference is to use an adjustable QD two-point. So, I haven't used the Drop-Slider extensively. However, it's well made, and does indeed work as advertised.

https://www.patrolincidentgear.com/collections/sling/products/pig-drop-slider-sling-mk-1

https://www.patrolincidentgear.com/collections/sling/products/pig-drop-slider-sling-and-mk-2

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    The Patrol Incident Gear (PIG) Drop-Slider sling is designed to, when you release your rifle, allow the weapon to slide around to your side, and hang there, instead of dangling in front of you.

As with other slings, the main body of the sling wraps around your torso, and a a short webbing extension ("pigtail") runs between the main body of the sling and your rifle.

However, the way they implemented the extension strap is different from other designs I've seen.

On the Drop-Slider, a rectangular loop ring encircles the webbing of the sling body, allowing the sling to slide freely within that rectangular loop ring.

A pigtail connector is sewn around that rectangular loop ring and, at the outermost end of the pigtail, there's a quick release buckle. That quick release buckle allows you to customize the type of connector that interfaces with your rifle - QD swivel, HK hook, or webbing length.

When you drop the rifle, the design of the pigtail allows gravity to carry the rifle away from your centerline, and bring it to rest at your side.

My general preference is to use an adjustable QD two-point. So, I haven't used the Drop-Slider extensively. However, it's well made, and does indeed work as advertised.

https://www.patrolincidentgear.com/collections/sling/products/pig-drop-slider-sling-mk-1

https://www.patrolincidentgear.com/collections/sling/products/pig-drop-slider-sling-and-mk-2

thank uyou all.

would a 2point that can be modified to 1point have a chunk that could pop you in the mouth if in 2point mode when you are pushing it a bit?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    thank uyou all.

would a 2point that can be modified to 1point have a chunk that could pop you in the mouth if in 2point mode when you are pushing it a bit?

I like the Magpul MS3 sling. With an attachment points at the back of the receiver, rear if the stock and on the handguard. (As Photoracer mentioned)

There are alsocompanies out there that sell adapters to turn your regular sling into a ms3 clone. I think they're about $12

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Magpuls are nice. Switching 1 to 2 point, with a quick adjustment slider gives you lots of options. I mostly like it as a 2 point, opening it and necklacing if I need to do shooting stuff, but the 1 point has its uses as well, especially on something small.

Attachments

• 20181103_090222.jpg
      20181103_090222.jpg
      103.6 KB · Views: 226
    • 20181103_092212.jpg
      20181103_092212.jpg
      85.7 KB · Views: 238

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Just like most questions that start "which is the best ______", there will be plenty of opinions but the best answer is usually something like whatever works best for you/your specific weapon, situation and use, and training.

Now, which is the best rifle for me, an AR 15 or AK 47?

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado

But honestly, I think it all depends how thick your body armor is. I have a hard time getting a 2 point comfortably around the 3 layers of ceramic plates when I am at Mondawmin.

Do you find yourself feeling undergunned with only an AK pistol at Mondawmin Mall?

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Single point Jack Harper style. Lets the rifle or shotty rest by my hip when not in hand.

Oh yeah, gotta have a shock absorber thingy built in so it's not digging into my neck when bouncing.

Joshua

Jan 5, 2015
    1 point

Ive always like the 1 point sling. But some give yoy the option to make it into a 1 or 2 point... so why not have both lol

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I just got done with about 5 weeks of training where I had to use my Ferro Concepts Slingster constantly for about 8-12 hours a day and I can confirm that it is awesome when you have a bunch of crap on your plate carrier. Really happy with this one compared to the other two points I have used in the past.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Gecko, is that you?

How is that 357 Sig Bar-Sto barrel holding up?

JoshN

Jan 23, 2013
    Maryland until I escape
    This topic is entirely subjective. However, opinion only - an adjustable 2 point sling is the most versatile. They are what generations of hunters have used and the militaries of most nations since the earliest uses of firearms. They can help you to transport your weapon and be used to stabilize your shooting position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom