• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    I was just curious if anyone here shot .220 swift and reloaded...

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Yes Sir....
    Ruger M77 Varmint w/36x Leupold on it currently

WW Brass or Norma brass
    CCI-200
    IMR-4064
    Sierra 52gr HPBT
    Sierra 53gr. HP
    Sierra 55gr HPBT
    Sierra 50gr Blitz * this bullet may vaporize if "pushed" to
    fast not designed for high velocity use
    at your own risk or a blade a grass, rain
    drop will cause it to go "puff"

-Rock

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    strongly advocate for Redding bushing dies. don't full length size until you have to. cases last longer. I had same problems with .22-250 and have since gone to only the Ackley version of that case. I know a guy with the 220 Swift AI chambered in two rifles. THAT is a screamer. Brass lasts forever though.

I second the warning about certain bullets tending to pop. I would stick to pills that are designed for the highest speeds. Nosler BTs and their cheaper Varmageddon line work well. the Berger .22 target bullets tend to hold together well at extreme speeds (read 4400fps or better with 40s).

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    a07edeb013cdbbf71df364205ac7b78d.jpeg

Anyone have any need for this box of .220 swift? Almost 200 brass, hand reloading gear etc

I had never heard of this size until it landed in my lap. Trade for a box or so of 9mm?

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    strongly advocate for Redding bushing dies. don't full length size until you have to. cases last longer. I had same problems with .22-250 and have since gone to only the Ackley version of that case. I know a guy with the 220 Swift AI chambered in two rifles. THAT is a screamer. Brass lasts forever though.

I second the warning about certain bullets tending to pop. I would stick to pills that are designed for the highest speeds. Nosler BTs and their cheaper Varmageddon line work well. the Berger .22 target bullets tend to hold together well at extreme speeds (read 4400fps or better with 40s).

^^^ this second the Bergers also good nfo above, when I do
    shoot it I don't do rapid fire, I know this was an issue with the
    old pre64 M70's but I let the barrel cool when I'm at the range,
    also second the bushing die, or neck size only, have 3 sets of
    dies in swift, the less you work the brass the better. It's good
    to see some other "swift" shooters;)

remember one time shooting it at a bird a friend was spotting for
    me (something to keep busy waiting for a ground hog to pop up)
    anyway I shot and all he said was "wow" what he saw was feathers
    and that's all that was there. Have a 17 Rem also, works wonders

-Rock

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    rockzilla? you saw it first. if not, I'd be in for it. brass is always good to have (the brass isn't very stable due to the body taper and shoulder angle and thus tends to stretch).

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    rock, I'm a varmint gun junkie (and a wildcat case junkie, but that's another story!). I've owned or tried a lot of different stuff til I settled down to mainly my Ackleys and BR based stuff for whistlepigs, yotes, etc.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    rock, I'm a varmint gun junkie (and a wildcat case junkie, but that's another story!). I've owned or tried a lot of different stuff til I settled down to mainly my Ackleys and BR based stuff for whistlepigs, yotes, etc.

I'd be in for the brass, really don't need the other stuff got sooo much
    OLD stuff, or I would be up to split the brass with you...

-Rock

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    rock, all yours brother. you posted first. (and i'm sitting on a lot of varmint gun brass!). I shoot my 22-250AIs as my go-to guns (i hate trimming). the man only wants some 9mm. worth it. take the old parts to a show or just scrap em.

Last edited:

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    4g64loser, I've got so much stuff, friend owned a GS / Pawn Shop need I saw more?? Got a M77V in 25-06 w/36x Leupold on it that's my reach out an touch-em cousin "had" 400+ acre farm and had to be careful what I used those
    Ground piggies, and had to watch my shooting back stop, those holes tore up axles, wheels, and broke the farm equipment up.Then I started shooting a XP100 in .221 Fireball with a Leupold 4x EER scope. Wildcats let's talk T/C Contender pistol, JDJ rounds, Herrett's etc

-Rock

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    rock, all yours brother. you posted first. (and i'm sitting on a lot of varmint gun brass!). I shoot my 22-250AIs as my go-to guns (i hate trimming). the man only wants some 9mm. worth it. take the old parts to a show or just scrap em.

are you sure? all I can say is you are a stand up guy, and have my respect sir.

-Rock

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423

You need any 6x47mm brass??? New
    got 2 boxes of Federal Nickel "Match" cases
    the old Federal brass, all new
    -Rock

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    rock,

That's the way to do things. Stand up is what separates the shooters from those that oppose us. More than enough enemies without, so let's do right by each other within. As for 6x47, I assume you mean the 222 rem mag based wildcat. Thanks, but I never go into that. Almost bought a sweet 6x45 on a Sako, but passed. The only 6x47 I have worked with is the 6x47Lapua (6.5x47L necked down). It's a mixed bag. did one up for a buddy in Delaware a few years ago. It's a HAMMER. Others that have them are mixed. Some say its very hard to tune. My favorite 6 is the straight 6BR, as it is stupid easy to tune, has reasonable barrel life for a 6, and gets enough speed for 1000yd paper shooting on calm days. The larger cases just foul too much, especially in tight twist tubes. I go to .30s for real long range. If you have 6BR or 284Win brass, I'd be happy to trade or buy though!

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    rock,

That's the way to do things. Stand up is what separates the shooters from those that oppose us. More than enough enemies without, so let's do right by each other within. As for 6x47, I assume you mean the 222 rem mag based wildcat. Thanks, but I never go into that. Almost bought a sweet 6x45 on a Sako, but passed. The only 6x47 I have worked with is the 6x47Lapua (6.5x47L necked down). It's a mixed bag. did one up for a buddy in Delaware a few years ago. It's a HAMMER. Others that have them are mixed. Some say its very hard to tune. My favorite 6 is the straight 6BR, as it is stupid easy to tune, has reasonable barrel life for a 6, and gets enough speed for 1000yd paper shooting on calm days. The larger cases just foul too much, especially in tight twist tubes. I go to .30s for real long range. If you have 6BR or 284Win brass, I'd be happy to trade or buy though!

yeah the bras is that a friend "gave" it to me, "was" going to have a rifle built
    on that but as usual never got to it, was having 308's built on 700 Actions at
    that time, still have an unfired R700 .308 Hart barrel built by Dick Poole I need
    to put some glass on and shoot, always seem to buy brass before I had the
    gun to shoot it. Got the larger cases 338 LM and the 50.. they are okay but
    like the 308 or 300 Win Mag.
    Anyway a friend asked me if I needed any 284 win brass, well he asked if
    I had a gun in it, will try and get a hold of him, he's on vaca now and see
    if he still has it, he is never in a hurry to unload things...

got my name on a PW 800C, CH444-45ACP of his... so..

-Rock

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'm in no hurry either. The barrel is still not here and the action has a 30-06 barrel in it that is on of those once-in-a-lifetime barrels that shoots fast as lightning (its 2730 with a 210). I intend to do a 284 tube to swap out as needed as the action/stock/scope is a proven shoot package. I learned not do do big case 6s after an experiment with a 6-284.......The BR case is way better. On the subject of 700s, if you need any, let me know. There's a couple sitting around that I don't use. The usual. Project ideas that fall by the wayside.

I plan to start paring down to only certain cases to work with and just work with different bores among four or five case bodies. The 284 case is fertile soil for wildcatting. The 308, because brass is basically free when you shoot on multiple ranges, is a good choice, and 22-250 is ideal as it allows a ton of room for long-seated bullets in whatever diameter and still runs through a short action magazine (think 6.5 creedmoor and the x47L cases here). As I have accumulated Ackley chamberings I have come to reach for them first. If the load isn't beyond sane pressures, you will rarely or never have to trim and only have to bump shoulders once in a while.

One that I ran into at a recent PRS match was the 7SAW. I would rather do a 7-08AI in such a form factor but the SAW has the advantage of no fireforming. I am not scared of forming, as I do it without projectiles, but I was impressed with the ingenuity of the Texans that designed the SAW. It is a great round for PRS and would offer the option to cross over into prone match if one wanted a rig that was easier on barrels for the midrange stuff.

EDIT: if you want to unload that x47 brass, find a 222 rem mag shooter and sell or trade it to him/her. that brass is drying up. I am hearing of people necking up 204 to make it!

Last edited:

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    when he gets back to me the brass is yours, and figure it out from there, told him I want it.
    I've been reading alot the accurateshooter forum in last 2 years or so and been following the new rounds, learned a lot, had the benchrest shooters magazine.
    "was" thinking about the PPC's a long time ago, when I think the only way was by necking down the 7.62x39 if my memory serves me correctly 220 Russian, some older gentlemen at that time were shooting bench rest, 222 Rem, the PPC's, Rem 40X rifles,triggers / actions smooth as silk, showed me a thing or two, actually got a chance to try out their guns, amazing that's all I can say. I appreciate the nfo, really do. Gonna have to pick your brain if you don't mind.
    As far as the 700's yes sir I'm interested, if you don't mind please send me a list whenever you get a chance... I'm not going anywhere.
    Thanks again

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom