• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Probably not true Bikebreath. My "training" is not nearly what it needs to be. When I started this thread last summer, I had time galore. Since then, my wife and I have had twins (!!!!) and now own a house in Suburbia (and are trying to sell our city house!). I also tore up my shoulder in a crash and needed two months of physical therapy. With these things come all the anticipated obligations, so getting out twice a week is tough as it is. I really need to ride more. My friends from work (and I) have decided that we need to start doing two of our usual laps at Loch Raven in order to really prepare for this race.

Usually when I get out, I ride for about 1.5 hours....we usually stop a time or two to take some "in action" photos that I post on Facebook to make myself look cool (Haha!), but otherwise ride pretty much straight through (except for the first ride of the season, a few weeks ago, when I thought I'd have a heart attack).

Weather this Spring, with rain practically every day until the last week or so, has not helped much, either. But, with 1.5 months to go (assuming the race doesn't get postponed due to rain to Aug 14th), I'm feeling pretty good. If I can finish middle-of-the-pack again I'll feel pretty happy.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Middle-of-the-pack-racer...that was me too.

Post here again about mid-June and I'll take some time off at the end of June. I have work around the house to do and I'll brake it up with a ride at Schaeffer Farms or Fair Hill with you. And no, I won't get pissed if you end up not being able to go when I'm off...I'll just go to the range.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Anyone else do Greenbriar this year?

I'm a newb to the sport (just bought the bike in Feb).
    It was an ass-kicker for me.

3fe8fe64-orig.jpg

thebullpupkid

Feb 6, 2009
    Right near the beach!
    2001 Specialized Stumpjumper m4, and it's not up to par these days... Dont live in Maryland anymore... Yesterday was 12 miles off road with 2500+ vertical feet of difference. Started out with a 3 mile climb up a gravel forest road, then 6+ downhill miles of highly technical root beds and rock gardens with drainage in the middle of the trail on about 2 miles of it. Holy crap! Patapsaco was awesome. The Cascade Mountains are at another level entirely.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    I am looking to do some mild moutain biking.. I used to ride frequenty but stopped for a long time. Its tough being old, fat and out of shape... Regardless, any know of some mild decent trails around Harford/Baltimore county that would be a good start to re entering the sport?

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    I found a guy that can get Diamondback's fairly cheap....most not even ridden - were displays in shows and at dealers. I got a brand new Sortie 3 for $1250....it is WAAAY more MB than I ever needed but was too good to pass up.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I was a mountain biker. Until I started deer hunting in MD. It is a true test of impulse control to maintain composure when some of those rejects decide to ride trails in designated hunting areas, DURING RIFLE season. One wisea$$ even said "oh, so should I be wearing hunter orange when I ride?". I'm all about biking, but I'm also into good judgment.

Its a wonder no one has popped one of them yet.

Before I even knew hunting was allowed in the Frederick Watershed, I had some a$$hole discharge his muzzleloader into the ground just feet from where I and a few of my riding buddies had stopped to rest after a backcountry downhill. Sometimes "those rejects" simply are unaware of hunting laws and seasons, not deliberately trying to interfere with a hunt. Most of our group were out-of-towners just up for the weekend and oblivious that muzzleloader season had just started and we never saw a soul until that tool shot in our direction. One of our group was carrying that day and I guarantee he could have picked that fool off his stand before he got his muzzleloader reloaded so it was not a smart thing for him to have done but thankfully, cooler heads in our group prevailed.

Here's a pic of my XC/Trail rig and I mostly ride in Gambrill SP and the Frederick Watershed...

Attachments

• banshpyre.jpg
      banshpyre.jpg
      196.8 KB · Views: 144

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    The blue and yellow trails at Gambrill are sweet memories. I was in my late 40's and early 50's back then. I don't think at my ripe old age I'll ride those trails again...take care of them and leave a little blood on a rock for me. :D

ETA:
    Hunters are just like every other group...there's always an ******* among them. Glad it turned out ok.

zaphod07

Oct 16, 2011
    Around NAS PAX
    Koolkeg nice banshee. I used to run the pipeline at the shed about every weekend untill I busted myself up at DIABLO. Back then I was running a Bighit and a Epic. Now I have downgraded to a Allez but am plannig on a Stumpjumper for next summer.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I have to fix my bike now because yesterday I had a branch go through my front spoke at North Point State Park. I flew right over the handlebars and landed face/hands first and the bike landed on my back.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Koolkeg nice banshee. I used to run the pipeline at the shed about every weekend untill I busted myself up at DIABLO. Back then I was running a Bighit and a Epic. Now I have downgraded to a Allez but am plannig on a Stumpjumper for next summer.

Diablo kicks natural a$$. I went up there with some buddies a year or so ago and we camped at High Point State Park and made a long weekend of it. Even having to wait a little bit at the lift lines wasn't so bad because of all the glorious eye-candy 'nanny queued up at the adjacent water park. I didn't even try some of the double black diamonds there because the single ones were mostly kicking my butt plus my brakes were usually smoking hot and fading badly by the time I got to the bottom.

I ride mostly the pipeline and adjacent spiderweb Catoctin Trail goodies these days because my 41-year old spine can no longer take the doubles, drops and inverted rock gardens on the steep side of the 'shed network that ends down by the Fish Hatchery lake. I love Specialized bikes, BTW, and my first one was a '96 Stumpjumper M2 in the metallic light blue matte. Maybe I'll see you out there some day.

hawxter996

this avatar is offensive!
    Nov 11, 2008
    at home
    i had a giant cfm that i trashed at deep creek lake state park.
    i was coming down the fire tower trail and binned it real good.
    i went over the bars and flew about 30 feet or so.
    i carried my bike back to the camp site in 3 pieces.
    my camping neighbor saw me and offered 1st aid.
    she was married with 2 kids and hubby with her.
    she bandaged me up and was very flirtatious at the same time.
    later that night when everyone was asleep my brother in law and myself
    were enjoying a few beers and cigars.
    out of the corner of my eye i saw this white object,i did a double
    take and it was her mooning us!
    went over to talk to her and she offered it up.
    i wisely declined,but man what a rack!:sad20:

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I'm an avid mountain biker/racer and the sales manager of a bike shop in Delaware. I normally ride White Clay/Middle run just outside of Newark, DE and at Fair Hill.

I'm a little bit behind this year. Only have approx 175 miles in, vs over 500 for last year.

Going to be picking up a new single speed hopefully tomorrow.

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    I still have the 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory Suspension XT handbuilt in the Yeti Factory in Durango, CO. but rarely ride.

1999Homegrown_Factory_Suspension.jpg

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    I'm an avid mountain biker/racer and the sales manager of a bike shop in Delaware. I normally ride White Clay/Middle run just outside of Newark, DE and at Fair Hill.

I'm a little bit behind this year. Only have approx 175 miles in, vs over 500 for last year.

Going to be picking up a new single speed hopefully tomorrow.

I have never been to White Clay is it doable for a novice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom