• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nov 4, 2018
    Hey Guys,

Looking for a quality HBAR upper 16". I'm hesitant to buy from Bear Creek and Radical firearms b/c they usually make the "budget" rifles. Do you guys have any recommendations? I've seen some quality from anderson, but they're almost entirely in 20" (tradeoff is the ballistics, reduce probability of bullet tumble), and of course the maneuverability in close quarters or being able to peek around obstacles. (obvious i'm looking for a defense shtf rifle)

I've owned a budget upper for quite sometime for range use.

I honestly can't tell a difference from Colts I've shot before, but I haven't put 200 rounds through it in succession (put over 2,000 rounds at range no problem). I want to buy a quality upper to get the reliability. I have a aero precision milspec lower that I'd like to keep (otherwise I'd just order the m4 variant from colt).

Thinking about Delton
    https://www.del-ton.com/Custom_Upper_p/cu100.htm

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Desired price point ? ie most economical that will do ? Not a big issues as long as sort of in the middle ? Money no object ?

From your post, I read an emphasis on reliability . Any thoughts about accuracy potential ? More or less average, similar to milspec ? Or seeking the MOA potential ?

While of course you can later change the forend, etc , it's usually cheaper to get as close to your preferences from the mfg as package . Any preferences ? Old school GI ? ( fill in blank tacticool ) ? No big deal either way ?

Added - In the Maryland HBAR universe , the 16in is the overwhelming favorite , primarily for reasons of balance . 20in Heavy profiles will be noticeably muzzle heavy , unless you prefer that of course . Likewise Md'ers are particularly attuned to fluting to address balance issues . ( The absolute weight differences of 16 vs 20 , and fluted vs non aren't huge , but when it's concentrated in the bbl , it effects balance, particularly for offhand shooting .)

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    As stated in other threads, even the "best" manufacturers are putting out less than desirable products these days. I would buy decent parts and either gauge and assemble myself or have a real expert do it for you.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    As stated in other threads, even the "best" manufacturers are putting out less than desirable products these days. I would buy decent parts and either gauge and assemble myself or have a real expert do it for you.

This^^^ Why not build it? Get an Aero Precision upper receiver, Fulton Armory makes a nice 16" HBAR (and it's stamped as an HBAR) in a .223 chambered Wylde 1:8 twist. Mine is very accurate-- I've run a couple thousand rounds through it--takes .223 and 5.56 "like butta". Never had a FTF or any other glitch. Plus you have the satisfaction of owning your own work.

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    i would look at Windham Weaponry uppers if I weren't going to build my own. They may even have them on sale this week. I have the heavy barreled dissipator upper.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'll throw this in. I can't vouch for Radical Arms's uppers, but they do have excellent customer service.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    If you want the best, get an LWRC DI. Fluted HBAR saves weight. Everything they make is built like a tank and very reliable. Fit and finish are eceptional as well. Buy once, cry once.

The only negative is some of the parts are proprietary. Get one with the M-Lok rail.

If this is truly a rifle you will use to protect your life, dont look for the cheapest.

BCM is cheaper, but very reliable.

YMMV

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Proprietary takes away a key element of owning an AR IMHO.

I'm sure they make a great product, as does BCM, but I would definitely have it inspected if it was my go to.

I agree about inspection. Gym Ratz has great pricing on LWRC and I’m sure the OP can go look at them. Other IP’s as well.

Rouser

Proud Eastern Shoreman
    Jul 27, 2012
    Wicomico & Talbot Cos.
    Radical Arms

I'll throw this in. I can't vouch for Radical Arms's uppers, but they do have excellent customer service.

I've had a Radical Arms 7.62X39 upper for 3 years. Over 700 rounds through it without any problems at all. I would not hesitate to buy from them again! Good quality doesn't have to have a high price tag.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I am a fan of Delton for a mid range upper. They do heavy barrel but don't stamp HBAR so buyer beware and measure risk accordingly.

If you want to spend them money I think you can still get a good deal on some HBAR and SOCOM HBAR colts.

Invicta

Sep 16, 2018
    Where are you located? If you're close to Engage Armament I would just have them build you one.
    Regardless, go with a mid length gas system & a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 twist.

Nov 4, 2018
    Desired price point ? ie most economical that will do ? Not a big issues as long as sort of in the middle ? Money no object ?

From your post, I read an emphasis on reliability . Any thoughts about accuracy potential ? More or less average, similar to milspec ? Or seeking the MOA potential ?.)
    Good to know. Not looking for old school GI, i want to mount a flashlight and red dot. For accuracy i'm mounting a red dot, so I'm not expecting anything superb. I'm a decent shot, so I'd like to be able to hit what I aim at.

Price point is ~$500
    Thanks for the response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom