• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Got it. I appreciate the clarification. I am learning as I go. I do see where some bills look like they have been moving or were voted as unfavorable. If you check out the history tab, there has clearly been some movement on certain bills. This is what I have been paying attention to. This particular bill (HB0612) does not look like anything has happened yet (voted out of committee) and we only have one more week before crossover day. It only has 20 sponsors (out of 141 members). There is no companion bill from the Senate. Even though anything can be slipped in to any bill and voted on at the last minute before sine die, I just have a hard time seeing this one cross the finish line. That is what i was more or less referring to when I said "my gut instinct". I am trying to think positive on this one.

Both ghost gun bills have a lot of sponsors in both houses. They are the ones that gives me the creeps. Not being able to build my own gun or be able to grandfather an already built gun is total BS. The serial number thing is a slippery trick that has been slid into the verbiage of these bills and only the ignorant would think is a good idea. The authors of these bills are frightened over something that has been around for ages but they paint a picture of 3D printing as being the newest evil way to make a gun without a serial number, therefore let's ban everything without a serial number with no grandfathering. Katherine "Dumais" last name should be "Dumbass".

I am trying to remain optimistic. Might be better just to bury my head in the sand, on the freeway.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I am trying to remain optimistic. Might be better just to bury my head in the sand, on the freeway.

Waiting on the bills to be reported out of committee is like waiting the casualty announcements for an apartment building fire. The best you can hope for is everyone made it out safe and no harm occurred. It only goes downhill from there.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    LMAO! After getting some good news regarding the amended HB0740, I have restored enthusiasm.

HB0740 as amended is not good news. There is nothing good news about it surviving committee in any way, shape, or form. Might I suggest that you use your restored enthusiasm to fight these crap bills, including HB0740. Send letters, visit and/or call your delegates, and come down to Annapolis. I know you want to. Now's the time!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    HB0740 as amended is not good news. There is nothing good news about it surviving committee in any way, shape, or form. Might I suggest that you use your restored enthusiasm to fight these crap bills, including HB0740. Send letters, visit and/or call your delegates, and come down to Annapolis. I know you want to. Now's the time!

I love the enthusiasm of so many on this board telling others what they should do to fight this stuff. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I am going to jump in on it myself. PowPow, craft a winning argument for me that I can take to these legislators. One that will knock them off their feet and make them realize how wrong they are with all of this. I am a pretty good public speaker, calm under fire, and eloquent. Draft me up a winner and I will deliver it. Include lots of facts and evidence. Facts and evidence might actually get the message across. Provide the cites for those facts and evidence too because I want to be as prepared as possible when I am in front of them. Draft me a winner, and I will deliver.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Sometimes the price of a stamp, a simple smile and "hello", an e-mail, or a WE WILL NOT COMPLY t-shirt is all you need. Each of us has their story, and it needs to come from us. I could not deliver the fabs argument, because it isn't mine. You couldn't deliver the powpow argument because it isn't yours. Why don't you spend the time to come up with yours? I don't need to see it. Your delegates and senators do.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Oh, and I have a whole folder full of letters to delegates and senators with the powpow arguments. Each one is different. Not all of them are related to firearms.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Each of us has their story, and it needs to come from us. I could not deliver the fabs argument, because it isn't mine. You couldn't deliver the powpow argument because it isn't yours.

With all due respect: nope. The arguments against the bills in question are objective. Objectively practical. Objectively constitutional. Objectively rational.

I didn't write the Declaration of Independence, but if someone handed it to me as the basis for my appearance before an audience that needed to be convinced of the need to sever our 13 colonies from the Crown, it would be the perfect argument to study. A succinct outline of what's wrong with these bills, the ramifications of their passing, the unreasonable burdens they place on law abiding Maryland residents, and their deep friction with the Bill of Rights ... is, well, a succinct outline. It's not one person's story or another. It's the basis for the argument.

To the extent that a witless emotion-driven lefty legislator needs some emotional frosting on that constitutional cake, then, yes. A personal anecdote can fuel that. But not a single far-left member of the MDGA is going to change their minds about this entire topic, no matter what we say. So the personalized tidbits (expressed in 60 seconds at a hearing, or expressed in an email that is deleted before it's read, or a printed letter that is filed away by an intern without any consideration) is only helpful because it feels good doing it. It's not helpful - in this state, right now - in winning enough legislative hearts and minds to make any difference. That's going to happen through the courts.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    With all due respect: nope. The arguments against the bills in question are objective. Objectively practical. Objectively constitutional. Objectively rational.

Point taken. I am no Thomas Jefferson, nor a Ben Franklin or any of the others. My arguments come from me, not from someone else. They may not be winning arguments, but I never claimed that I had winning arguments. But at least I have tried and put forth effort. That is all I can do.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO

I posted in the new HB0740 thread my feelings about that particular bill. I agree that bill is totally bogus. It could have been far worse. I am doing what I can for now by donating dollars and writing letters myself. I am not sitting completely idle over here. Now that I have witnessed the Annapolis procedure, I feel confident in showing up to testify. I have to agree with fabsroman too. Certain members of the MGA are completely deaf. The more of us on the front line the better. Will see you in Annapolis sometime in the near future.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I posted in the new HB0740 thread my feelings about that particular bill. I agree that bill is totally bogus. It could have been far worse. I am doing what I can for now by donating dollars and writing letters myself. I am not sitting completely idle over here. Now that I have witnessed the Annapolis procedure, I feel confident in showing up to testify. I have to agree with fabsroman too. Certain members of the MGA are completely deaf. The more of us on the front line the better. Will see you in Annapolis sometime in the near future.

Awesomeness! :thumbsup:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

I didn't write the Declaration of Independence, but if someone handed it to me as the basis for my appearance before an audience that needed to be convinced of the need to sever our 13 colonies from the Crown, it would be the perfect argument to study. A succinct outline of what's wrong with these bills, the ramifications of their passing, the unreasonable burdens they place on law abiding Maryland residents, and their deep friction with the Bill of Rights ... is, well, a succinct outline. It's not one person's story or another. It's the basis for the argument.

To the extent that a witless emotion-driven lefty legislator needs some emotional frosting on that constitutional cake, then, yes. A personal anecdote can fuel that. But not a single far-left member of the MDGA is going to change their minds about this entire topic, no matter what we say. So the personalized tidbits (expressed in 60 seconds at a hearing, or expressed in an email that is deleted before it's read, or a printed letter that is filed away by an intern without any consideration) is only helpful because it feels good doing it. It's not helpful - in this state, right now - in winning enough legislative hearts and minds to make any difference. That's going to happen through the courts.

It will happen through the courts or through the polls. One or the other. Until they actually start losing seats in the General Assembly and/or losing court cases, nothing is going to happen. I have no idea why people think that 60 seconds, or even 3 minutes in front of these people, ad nauseam, with what has got to be the same arguments over and over again if 500+ people testify, is going to make a difference. At testimony #500, all the legislators, probably even the conservatives, just want to get home and in bed.

I spent two days drafting up testimony in 2013. 6 pages of writing with exhibits. Dropped off my 30 copies and saw what was sitting in that room. I seriously doubt they even read what I wrote since an entire forest was in that room. I hung around for the rally, which was rather large. Wrote my then legislators and spoke personally to Gail Bates, and FSA2013 passed. Albeit nowhere near as bad as it originally was. I felt good about what I did, until I saw the final result.

Money and time might be best spent in elections and the right litigation case(s). Whether a right can be licensed is a good one. Hoping the HQL makes it to SCOTUS. If they pass the HBAR ban, that would be another wonderful one to litigate.

Now, applying NICS to almost every gun transfer, versus just the ones from dealer to buyer, might not be the best to litigate. Depends on whether the initial NICS check required by dealers has ever been litigated, what Heller says, etc. A crapton of research needs to be done on these 2nd Amendment cases before it is decided to bring the right ones.

Sadly, Gale Baits lost the election to a liberal who is in favor of "common sense" gun control to make us all safer. She and Warren Miller have not responded to the e-mails I sent them.

Can we find liberal candidates that are pro Bill of Rights, including the 2nd Amendment? Can we find Larry Hogan at the legislative level?

If these things pass, I really do wonder what Hogan is going to do, and if he vetoes them if they will have enough votes to get them through. I know they have enough when you look at D/R, but some of those D's aren't in completely left places.

Joe Marino

Feb 15, 2019
    If this law ever pasted in the future how would the State confiscate all HBARs sold after 2013? Sounds like they could only ask for them to be turned in. Any thoughts or any presedence?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    If this law ever pasted in the future how would the State confiscate all HBARs sold after 2013? Sounds like they could only ask for them to be turned in. Any thoughts or any presedence?

They most likely would not be able to confiscate them. I know people in New York that are not complying with the 2013 mess there. New York LEO's are not going door to door looking for the firearms.

Now, the next question is, if you do hold onto them, it will take some rather huge cajones to take them out of a house and to a range, hunting, etc.

The people I know in New York that are not complying are never leaving the house with the non-compliant guns. I guess they are keeping them just in case SHTF or they actually move from New York.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Though the politicians would think otherwise...it's not up to you to prove any rifle you possess was owned prior to 2013...it's incumbent on the government to prove you didn't. How they would do that would be difficult and likely illegal. They would have to inspect gun store 4473 forms which is not under state purview or try to make you present receipts...maybe even maintain books of serial numbers and production dates. None of that is likely.

The lawmakers don't care about any of that...they probably know such a law would be unenforceable. They want to tell voters they "did" something about crime and that since gun owners didn't comply willingly they need to ban all rather than just some. Never underestimate the gun control forces...even if they know a law in unenforceable and wrong headed they still want it. Once it's obvious to the uninformed public it didn't work they'll build on it and want more and more onerous and unworkable laws. They will never give up.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Though the politicians would think otherwise...it's not up to you to prove any rifle you possess was owned prior to 2013...it's incumbent on the government to prove you didn't. How they would do that would be difficult and likely illegal. They would have to inspect gun store 4473 forms which is not under state purview or try to make you present receipts...maybe even maintain books of serial numbers and production dates. None of that is likely.

The lawmakers don't care about any of that...they probably know such a law would be unenforceable. They want to tell voters they "did" something about crime and that since gun owners didn't comply willingly they need to ban all rather than just some. Never underestimate the gun control forces...even if they know a law in unenforceable and wrong headed they still want it. Once it's obvious to the uninformed public it didn't work they'll build on it and want more and more onerous and unworkable laws. They will never give up.

Um, why couldn't they just issue a subpoena to the manufacturer of the lower and ask for the manufacture date. After 10/1/2013, you get to go to prison.

The LEO investigating my wife's identity theft issued subpoenas to Victoria Secret, Sam's Club, Verizon, and a couple more corporations in Virginia and they all responded with a crap ton of documents that we received a copy of when we asked for the police report.

Yes, the state must prove that you did not possess the firearm before 10/1/2013, but it might not be as hard to do as you think it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom