Need A Boulder Installed in North East, Recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    No real need for surveyor as in Cecil Co as in many others, the county easement is 30' from center of road. One day when there are no crack/smack/drunks on the road measure. We live on a curve and over the years we had all sorts of problems with dump trucks and drunks/blasted folks that just couldn't make the curve. Busted fence (numerous times), utility pole cut in half and my neighbor's house almost hit. We had the culvert dug deeper in hopes that it would stop them before they did damage (county did it, had a friend that worked for them). Finally got the county to put in a series of signs that helped with the off road crashes. We did have one kid kill himself last year. Good luck it will be an ongoing battle. Chris

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    No real need for surveyor as in Cecil Co as in many others, the county easement is 30' from center of road. One day when there are no crack/smack/drunks on the road measure. We live on a curve and over the years we had all sorts of problems with dump trucks and drunks/blasted folks that just couldn't make the curve. Busted fence (numerous times), utility pole cut in half and my neighbor's house almost hit. We had the culvert dug deeper in hopes that it would stop them before they did damage (county did it, had a friend that worked for them). Finally got the county to put in a series of signs that helped with the off road crashes. We did have one kid kill himself last year. Good luck it will be an ongoing battle. Chris

Hey thanks for the info. And yes it has been an ongoing battle. I had buried a 4x4 and it has lasted about 5 months before someone took it out last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    If you have a "business" at your home you can try Ruppert Landscape. They have a branch around White Marsh.
    They only do commercial work.

Full disclosure... I work at Ruppert's Corporate Office.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I was going to have a survey done before I put it in.

That's very wise because if someone hits one of your boulders and is killed or severely injured you could be in deep legal doo doo. I believe it varies by locality, but if it's a city, state, or county roadway there may be a certain "setback" for large heavy objects from your property line, including easements, so that you're not creating hazard. You do have the right of course to protect your property from damage by these idiots, but just make sure you are doing it without exposing yourself to potential serious legal troubles.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    We've had issues with the next door Guats' guests blocking our mailbox, so we've put 200lbs of sand in an old trash can and set it on the street to make it harder for the pukes to park there.

Well, first night up drives a Guat guest who was on something, and he runs into into the can and upsets it. Wife went down to see what had happened as MJ smoke rolled out of the driver's side window. I'm on oxygen and was 30' away at the top of the steps. Pretty sure he damaged his front bumper, but he left without getting out to check and he did not return.

Yes, we are aware of possible repercussions, but we don't much care...I can and have dealt with PG LEOs over other hood issues. We are both disabled and our county police are pretty good to deal with...nothing but praise for them and the tough jobs they do.

My neighbors, especially the ones without Paperwork, know me all too well, and they know not to push the buttons but so far.

Lew--Ranger63
    Korea, Vietnam (2), Germany

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Make sure you can still get an ambulance or a propane truck up your driveway. As mentioned, get a survey and have someone knowledgeable look at whatever easements you have. Also, get lines located before you start hardscaping.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Make sure you can still get an ambulance or a propane truck up your driveway. As mentioned, get a survey and have someone knowledgeable look at whatever easements you have. Also, get lines located before you start hardscaping.
    Ambo/propane truck......you think too small.....
    Depending on how far off the road the house is.....think fire pumper/tanker/ladder truck. We had a house on Kent Island that was about a half mile off the road on the bay they put an arch across the driveway. The biggest thing we could get back to the house was a 1 ton pickup utility.....guess what? No pump,no water, and no hose on that rig.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I had Irwin Stone deliver a couple....not sure if you have a place like that near you. I went to the yard and picked it out. If the delivery spot is within reach of the little truck mounted crane, the charge for that part is not bad. It gets worse if they have to cart it around out of the crane's reach.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Most actual Quaries ( meaning where they actually dig the rocks out of the ground vs the more typical " material yard") will have big a$$ rocks available . I have seen them where 2 or 3 would be an entire load for a three axle dump truck. And the price at the quary is cheap enough.

Someone with a one axle dump bed could get whatever size rock max'ed their gvw, and deliver it to your property. The tricky part is repositioning it if the initial drop isn't to your liking.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Ambo/propane truck......you think too small.....
    Depending on how far off the road the house is.....think fire pumper/tanker/ladder truck.

Funny, first version of my post said pumper, but then I figured I would get corrected that they usually stay down on the road.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Funny, first version of my post said pumper, but then I figured I would get corrected that they usually stay down on the road.
    It's most efficient if the pumper can get within 200'. You can pump further, but time is everything, and most attack lines are set up 150' & 200'. Typically, there is 1000' - 1500' of supply line that can be dropped pretty quick, so the preferred method would be for one engine to drop a supply line on the way in and get close to the fire.

Most ladder trucks are 100', but may not be needed on a single story dwelling.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Do yourself a favor and lay a gravel or concrete pad down over a heavy sheet of plastic that extends about 6" beyond the outside perimeter of the boulder. You'll thank me later when you won't have to get out the weed whacker to trim up the overhang.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Called "Planning and Zoning" and they said there are no restrictions other than check with the Roads Dept for right of way rules. Called the Cecil Roads Dept. and the guy said to make sure it is not on their "right of way". Basically said keep it behind the telephone poles and I will be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    "Behind the telephone poles" is what we use to call in the field "an eye-ball guesstimate". I was a right of way agent for 30 years and for what you're talking about doing, I'd recommend a survey by a licensed surveyor.

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    large decorative concrete spheres. Like the ones in front of Target. You can mix and make in place.
    Some other shape that would blend into the scenery, like domes or inverted cones.
    These will require some periodic repainting every few years.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    large decorative concrete spheres. Like the ones in front of Target. You can mix and make in place.
    Some other shape that would blend into the scenery, like domes or inverted cones.
    These will require some periodic repainting every few years.

I like the inverted cones idea!

Painted green. You can string lights on them at Christmas time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom