• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Let me give you guys the summary: 80%s are OK if you hand mill them; Ghost Gunners and 3D printers are out unless you've got an FFL and serialize them. Still stupid, but an improvement. Guess I'll be selling a 10/22 parts kit soon. :P

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    MSP has to come up with a system to register unregistered guns, based surely on people voluntarily handing over information. Especially the criminals. If I've filed off a serial number do I have to re-register it with a new one? Lol, who comes up with this shit.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    So criminals won't be allowed to spend $1000's for printers or Ghost Gunners to make a $500 gun that they could have stolen for free or paid $100 on the street...

I'm sure the criminals will be pissed if this becomes law.

Oh, and THANK YOU for posting the proposed amendments.

And what's up with July 1st?

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    So criminals won't be allowed to spend $1000's for printers or Ghost Gunners to make a $500 gun that they could have stolen for free or paid $100 on the street...

I'm sure the criminals will be pissed if this becomes law.

Oh, and THANK YOU for posting the proposed amendments.

And what's up with July 1st?[/QUOTE]

From my understanding that's when this goes into effect

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    How is the enactment date 1 July? Did they turn this into an emergency bill?

Looks like the enactment date is July 1st so that the portion of the law that directs MSP to come up with a system and cost analysis can be done by the date of September 30, 2019.
    That's just my guess but this is MD so who the hell knows what they're thinking.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into the works...the way the bill is worded, use of CNC at any point of manufacture makes the resulting firearm banned w/o the FFL 07 or 08 issued S/N. Most, if not all, receiver blank manufacturers use CNC to create the basic shape and to drill pivot pin holes, mag release button holes, and mill mag wells, etc.

I have a feeling the bill's backers knew this.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Not all that clear to me. If a guy has an 80% AR15 lower that he milled using a gig and drill press, then does said guy have to have a serial number printed on it and register it once the state comes up with a system for that?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Not all that clear to me. If a guy has an 80% AR15 lower that he milled using a gig and drill press, then does said guy have to have a serial number printed on it and register it once the state comes up with a system for that?

No, not as I read it. The S/N needs to be issued by an FFL 07 or 08, not a random number invented by the home builder.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    The way I read there is nothing saying a poly 80 completed in the standard way is illegal.

That's what it looks like to me too. I think when they are saying no CNC, etc.
    they mean by the manufacturer (individual), not the company making the 80% frame.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I think it's laying the groundwork for future registration requirements for non computer assisted guns without a serial number (that would be allowed)

But seems to ban without any grandfathering ones made with some form of computer assistance

Still pretty onerous

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    25 4-602.
    26 THIS SUBTITLE DOES NOT APPLY TO:
    27 (1) THE MANUFACTURE OR POSSESSION OF A FIREARM: :confused:

For testing or a federal gun manufacturer... the clauses are on the next page.

The way I read there is nothing saying a poly 80 completed in the standard way is illegal.

I read it that way also.

It's not a firearm in its 80% state. After the FCG is milled out [or the tabs are snipped off for poly 80's], it becomes more than 80% and therefore a firearm and hence I would be manufacturing a firearm and thus can't use a CNC or ghost gunner.

Note that if the machine requires continuous operation by a human, the machine CAN be used to complete the lower - so manual mills are okay.

That is, the way I read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom