• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Hahahaha! I just ordered components....let's say that I have more than a few to build. I'm off next week and will try to build some then

I somehow managed to lose the lower parts kit for one of mine. I am sure that it is in my man cave somewhere, but finding it may be a problem, especially since my step daughter helped "organize" a little in there the other week.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    I somehow managed to lose the lower parts kit for one of mine. I am sure that it is in my man cave somewhere, but finding it may be a problem, especially since my step daughter helped "organize" a little in there the other week.

Oh the horror!
    I cringe when one of my helpers 'cleans up' my stuff. :sad20:
    I may never find what I'm looking for now!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    So completed, test fired and 90% there. Slide was reluctant to go home when soft cycling by hand. First mag, 3 out of 15 times slide didnt go completely home, gentle bump and fine. 2nd mag, only 1 time did it happen. After that all fed fine but did have one stovepipe. Clearly it's in the barrel channel, I'll relieve a little more and try again.

Ate 115gr,124gr,147gr and 158gr fine. Purposely limp wristed and seems to cycle fine.

Happy with it, I'm not a pistol guy but this just fits my hand perfectly. Now onto the g20 build.....

Thanks Kjackson.....if you cant locate your parts kit, I'll send you one.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So completed, test fired and 90% there. Slide was reluctant to go home when soft cycling by hand. First mag, 3 out of 15 times slide didnt go completely home, gentle bump and fine. 2nd mag, only 1 time did it happen. After that all fed fine but did have one stovepipe. Clearly it's in the barrel channel, I'll relieve a little more and try again.

Ate 115gr,124gr,147gr and 158gr fine. Purposely limp wristed and seems to cycle fine.

Happy with it, I'm not a pistol guy but this just fits my hand perfectly. Now onto the g20 build.....

The P80’s typically need a break in period, IMO. glad it went well.

Independence

long member
    Jul 16, 2008
    Nottingham

Make sure the slide lock spring is not sitting up in the channel. when you clear the recoil spring channel, little bits of plastic get into the hole where the slide lock spring sits. That keeps if from getting all the way in. You can tap it flush with a punch.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    The P80’s typically need a break in period, IMO. glad it went well.

It's really easy to do also, first one took a while as I was cautious and had no idea how to put the parts kit in. In fact I screwed up the trigger spring and it wouldn't reset the first time.

How many rounds before A ok? Probably have 110 or so through it now.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It's really easy to do also, first one took a while as I was cautious and had no idea how to put the parts kit in. In fact I screwed up the trigger spring and it wouldn't reset the first time.

How many rounds before A ok? Probably have 110 or so through it now.

100 seems to do it for most folks.

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD

Excellent! But pix or it didn't happen! :D

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    G20 build didnt go as easy at all. The LSB as they called it was too wide, the slide wouldn't move barely at all. Grinded some of the metal off and much better.

Ran into issues with the slide NOT going back all the way. Took on and off 30 times and still couldn't figure it out. Went to Google....apparently the firing pin safety plunger is the issue. If I depress the plunger and push the firing pin towards the muzzle, slide goes all the way back and seems to function correctly.

So is my firing pin safety plunger out of spec? I'll probably order another it's less than $5. But the few hours of me scratching my head I cant get back lol.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    G20 build didnt go as easy at all. The LSB as they called it was too wide, the slide wouldn't move barely at all. Grinded some of the metal off and much better.

Ran into issues with the slide NOT going back all the way. Took on and off 30 times and still couldn't figure it out. Went to Google....apparently the firing pin safety plunger is the issue. If I depress the plunger and push the firing pin towards the muzzle, slide goes all the way back and seems to function correctly.

So is my firing pin safety plunger out of spec? I'll probably order another it's less than $5. But the few hours of me scratching my head I cant get back lol.

But it helped you learn more about the inner workings (and non-workings) of the gun. Not a bad trade off. Thanks for the offer of the lower parts kit. I have a few days off coming up and I am hoping to clean up the "cave". I will let you know if I find it.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    How far is brass throwing from your 80 builds? I broke one in recently and it didn't seem to throw very far. Had one stovepipe too. Other than that, it ran 50 rounds nicely.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    How far is brass throwing from your 80 builds? I broke one in recently and it didn't seem to throw very far. Had one stovepipe too. Other than that, it ran 50 rounds nicely.

At least 5 feet from g19 haven't shot g20 yet

That sounds like something I just might have to do. Let me see if I can build this one first.

I've done 10 with 2 more waiting for completion. I started with a G22, then a 17, then I found the 22LR kit and the 22TCM9R kit so I did one of each. The large frame didn't fit right in my girlfriend's hand so I built a G23..she didn't like the snappy recoil of the 40 so I built a G19. A friend gave me 2 full frame kits unfinished because he didn't have the time to build them, so I built a G22 and a 17 with threaded barrels for a silencer..then I bought a 43 kit and a G20 they get faster the more you do. I can complete one from start to finish in about 2 hours now

..you might call them my protest against the HQL.. I've also got a Sig kit and a 1911 kit on order..

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

At least 5 feet from g19 haven't shot g20 yet

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I may or may not have a few 9mm. I may or may not have found that it’s best to hit it with 100 rounds of good hot ammo first.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    So the one thing that helped me out was polishing the forward block where the rails fit. A little aluminum polish with the dremel smooths things out quickly vs firing 100 rounds(same principle)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom