• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I'm a Fudd. I don't write for any publications. I own mostly double guns. I support the 2nd as it is written which means military rifles are protected.

owgriffin

May 15, 2012
    NRA leadership

I hope to hell they get their shit together because they are pretty much all we have in terms of lobbying. As disgusting as lobbying is, purchasing politicians is the new or old normal. Without them every RINO in congress will fold up and try and be pals with the gun grabbers. Unfortunately, almost every non profit I know about is as freaking corrupt as can be believed. I just read about the latest efforts to audit the red cross and that organization is nothing but a self serving bunch of rats. In their Haiti relief effort, they charged a $2m management fee to "manage" a $4m donation. Corrupt beyond belief.

SigZag

Aug 4, 2019
    Rockville
    I was contributing to NRA pretty regularly in the past few years. $20-30 bucks usually when I got a mailing but for 6 months or so every time i get a solicitation from them I send the donation to GOA, I will continue to maintain my membership but I think for now the limited funds I can contribute go to GOA or MSI

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    We all know the NRA proper is in shambles. Is it still worth donating to the NRA-ILA? I want to do my part to ensure the latest gun grabbing craziness does not go unchecked. If not them, who else has boots on the ground on the Hill?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's NOT a contradiction .

Revolvers Are fine options for SD .
    Classic porportioned stock became classic, because they fit well, point naturally, and are quick handling .
    AR's Are a Fad . A very Popular Fad, but a fad . And while with perfect placement, of specialized projectiles , a .223 can be fatal for Bambi , the best that could be said is that it squeaks into marginally minimally acceptable .
    Figured Walnut is a thing of beauty, And functional . Plastic is functional , despite being butt ugly .
    Mag dumps at the range are 99% ballistic masterbation . Aim, squeeze, hit accurately is the path to gain marksmanship skills .
    Holsters are supposed to be made from dead cows

That said : The Bill of Rights generally , and 2A in particular Mean what they Say . And it applies to all the firearms , not just what I like . I spend a whole buncha of advocacy efforts defending things I don't personally get excited about , because it's a matter of Freedom , not any one person's preferences .

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    We all know the NRA proper is in shambles. Is it still worth donating to the NRA-ILA? I want to do my part to ensure the latest gun grabbing craziness does not go unchecked. If not them, who else has boots on the ground on the Hill?

If you support maintaining 2A freedom, keep contributing to the NRA arm of your choice. But let them know your feelings about Wayne and the bloated board.

As the OP said, the NRA is the 500 lb. gorilla of gun rights lobbying. Without that, Bloomberg Money will buy Congress in one election cycle. And we will have nothing.

Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    If you support maintaining 2A freedom, keep contributing to the NRA arm of your choice. But let them know your feelings about Wayne and the bloated board.

As the OP said, the NRA is the 500 lb. gorilla of gun rights lobbying. Without that, Bloomberg Money will buy Congress in one election cycle. And we will have nothing.
    I disagree completely.
    Take a minute and look at the legislative fights FPC and GoA are contributing to.
    Support them! Don't give a dime to the failure that is the NRA. They are a waste of money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    NRA ILA was worth the money, until they dumped Cox.

NRA PVF was useful, supporting pro-2A pols.

During the 2016 elections I dumped plenty of green into the NRA. No more from me until Wayne takes a walk. I don't care whether he was/is any good at his job, he's tainted himself and the organisation. Time to do the right thing.

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    NRA ILA was worth the money, until they dumped Cox.

NRA PVF was useful, supporting pro-2A pols.

During the 2016 elections I dumped plenty of green into the NRA. No more from me until Wayne takes a walk. I don't care whether he was/is any good at his job, he's tainted himself and the organisation. Time to do the right thing.

NRA is all about greed and self dealing for a comfortable Board enjoying the gifts of the gullible gun owners being fleeced. Send Money to Jim and Tammy Baker and ask for their prayers..

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    NRA is all about greed and self dealing for a comfortable Board enjoying the gifts of the gullible gun owners being fleeced. Send Money to Jim and Tammy Baker and ask for their prayers..

I still think they used to have a positive effect on legislators. Now that they've been weakened by the current mess, who knows?

I can't disagree with your greed/self-dealing statement.

Perfection is not ever going to be found in politics. Never. It's the art of the possible, and perfect is not possible.

Fedora

Dec 16, 2018
    If I raise $1 million dollars and expense $50,000 for my new toy loosely connected to the shoot I went to with the donor, not a single BoD in the world will say no. And I guarantee if you were on the board, you would approve the expense too. If you didn't your org would never bring in money, because fundraising is not "here is the check." Been there done that. That literally take 5 seconds. Fundraisers and lobbying is 90% hobnobbing and socializing with people who want to be made to feel like bigshots.

Look at the expense report of any rainmaker, you probably wont like it. Clothes, shoes, cars, toys, strip clubs, Club Med, whatever it is. The question is: how much money do they bring in? If they bring in a lot more than they expense, you keep them and sign the expense report.

As I said, I have about 4000 criticisms of WLP even before this... I think he should have retired well before 2016. This is not one of them.

Dan is right. In a different life I was peripherally involved with an extended family that was more than a little wealthy. Hotels, banks, if it makes a good margin and has satisfactory turnover, they were in it. And it's true: the rich are truly different than most of us. As someone once said, "We have friends, the rich have interests". As a quick example, a normal person will bring brownies to the bake sale, but the rich won't. Their exposure exceeds the benefit. There's always the chance someone will very publicly eat a brownie, claim it has drug(s) in it, loudly call for an ambulance and ride to the hospital. Once there she will pronounce the rich person responsible. It's the poor person's lottery: it probably won't pay off . . . but it might, and the attempt loses her nothing. To a rich person, associating with people not subject to the same litigation and reputational risk as yourself has no upside.

So, yeah, my observations agree with Dan. Being expensively dressed means you're in the club: you have common personal risk factors. The other guy might listen for a moment or two.

But couldn't we at least get Wayne to wear his suits twice?

Last edited:

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    So NRA's take got a $100,000,000 bump from Sandy Hook and subsequent events, from $246 million to $347 million and upward.

You can buy a lot of legislators for that kind of money.

Or a few suits for Wayne.

Chis Cox is no longer on the payroll; Wayne threw him under the bus.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    So NRA's take got a $100,000,000 bump from Sandy Hook and subsequent events, from $246 million to $347 million and upward.

You can buy a lot of legislators for that kind of money.

Or a few suits for Wayne.

Chis Cox is no longer on the payroll; Wayne threw him under the bus.

Yeah, I heard about that (Cox), kinda surprised. I was on another board discussing NRA, NRA-ILA, their non-profit status and the political activity of the ILA. The person dug out those reports and I had not seen that much detailed financial info before.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    So, the existence of a $70,000 check appears to contradict the official version of events:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/check-...-about-nra-plans-11565626607?mod=hp_lead_pos7

Ackerman, for its part, says Mr. LaPierre had wanted the mansion, which it said was to be paid for by the NRA. According to Ackerman’s version of events, Mr. LaPierre had asked Ackerman to help facilitate the deal, and an Ackerman lawyer set up WBB Investments to buy the house so the LaPierre connection wouldn’t become public.

Enter the check, dated May 25, 2018, and drawn on an NRA account at Wells Fargo . It is the most-direct evidence of the flow of money in the aborted deal to have emerged.

B3-ES381_NRACHE_NS_20190812114924.jpg

the check certainly appears to validate Ackerman version of events ,no the NRA's.

Setting aside the check, this is the real problem:

The $70,000 house payment, ProPublica reported last week, was flagged by NRA accountants in July 2018 as violating NRA procedures and an example of “senior management override of internal controls.”

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    That certainly changes the equation. Wayne definitely needs to go. Now. On his padded Armani butt.

Now, who will pick up the NRA training and certification programs that currently make up about a third of their income? Is any organization large AND credible enough to carry the load?

Another question: FPC and GoA are great litigators AFTER an infringement, but who will lobby Congress/states BEFORE an infringement to prevent it?

Answers??? Are we between a rock and a hard place? :shrug:

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I'm old enough to remember that there was a Cincinnati Revolt - a major shakeup in the NRA leadership and reorientation. Took place in 1974.

This is actually easier. Sack LaPierre. Get a new EVP, possibly an interim one. Chris Cox comes immediately to mind. Limit the pay to something reasonable. DC is expensive, but $250K/year is enough. Hell, I'll take the job for two-thirds of that and be pleased as punch.

Then start paring down the NRA BOD. Ditch the no-show Directors. Cut the number to ~20. Make sure to have representation from the training side of the house, and from the Olympic team. (Look, if I had my way, Kim Rhode would be NRA President by acclamation).

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Another question: FPC and GoA are great litigators AFTER an infringement, but who will lobby Congress/states BEFORE an infringement to prevent it?

Answers??? Are we between a rock and a hard place? :shrug:

GOA - terrible litigators. They subscribe to the Don Quixote theory of litigation.

FPC - ok, but meh.They ride coattails on SAF and NRA.

SAF has the track record of winning cases that beats all of them including the NRA. SAF knows that case law is built one small brick at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom