How to Buy an AR at Chantilly Gun Show and bring home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shooter_Drew

Feb 2, 2018
    Going to Chantilly Gun Show tomorrow, in one of the advertisements it showed MD compliant rifles with cash and carry, I assume same day. Any idea how that works?

If the Vendor is a MD FFL holder is that how it's done? Also what identification items do I need for this?

Just curious on this as I'm going to the show and if the prices are good I was gonna try to buy a gun but started thinking because it's out of state.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Going to Chantilly Gun Show tomorrow, in one of the advertisements it showed MD compliant rifles with cash and carry, I assume same day. Any idea how that works?

If the Vendor is a MD FFL holder is that how it's done? Also what identification items do I need for this?

Just curious on this as I'm going to the show and if the prices are good I was gonna try to buy a gun but started thinking because it's out of state.

Since there are no longer new regulated long guns, you can buy from a FFL from any state as long as the rifle is legal in Maryland. Here are the Chantilly purchase rules. https://www.thenationsgunshow.com/firearm-purchase-requirements.html

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    In VA you need two forms of ID...each with your address and at least one government supplied like a drivers license. I don't know whether a MD FFL has to abide by that but take the second ID...car registration will do.

As long as the rifle in question is not specifically banned on the MSP website you're good to go. An AR with a full-length heavy barrel is fine...skinny barrel is a no-no. Being it's VA...buy as many high capacity magazines as you want and bring them back with you.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Some of the vendors may not feel comfortable selling an AR to a MD resident even if it is a Maryland legal rifle. There should be some vendors who are knowledgeable on Maryland laws and will sell to you.

I think that VA wants two forms of ID when performing the background check. One picture id and something else with your name printed on it. Bring your drivers license and registration or some mail that can corroborate your address

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    I just transferred a rifle from a VA resident at a VA FFl and you no longer need two forms of ID. All I needed was my MD drivers license.

Shooter_Drew

Feb 2, 2018
    Awesome thank you for the info. Would have taken way to much time to dig around various websites. I do know the regs on HBAR and length. As for mag capacity that's a win because it's already out of state.

I'll still bring the Registration and DL.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Last show, I forgot who, had a Delton HBAR rifle and it said MD compliant on a piece of tape on top of it.

At Chantilly, for any MD compliant rifle/shotgun. You do a 4473 form and they will call it in. You can't buy from anyone but an FFL there. If a person was walking around the show, you transfer from a FFL who is at the show (I THINK) which I don't recall anyone ever saying they did that. I do know that you can't buy an AR face to face at the show (from a non FFL) if you are a MD resident while at VA show.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    as noted above, just don't be too PO'd if some dealers there won't sell an AR to you, a MD resident. with a full house of VA residents, they may not take the time necessary to thoroughly read and understand MD's crappy gun laws. but hope you do find something and someone to sell it to you.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    As an added note, I would try to know what the brands & models are going for online and at our IP's, so that you have an idea how much they are marking up the price. Some of the dealers there are above MSRP on there firearms. A bunch of $100 bills in you hand never hurts, as it shows them that you are a serious buyer, but don't be afraid to walk away and come back later, Sunday afternoon is usually the best time for deals.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And it has to be a VA FFL. An MD FFL cannot do business as an FFL in another state (for sales at least).

And yes, from private individual, you will need to find an FFL at the show that will do the transfer. And many will NOT.

I had to try about 4 or 5 when I bought an M1 Carbine at a show in Winchester.

Shooter_Drew

Feb 2, 2018
    So it has to be a VA FFL with a MD FFL also? Or it has to be a VA FFL only that is willing to sell it to a MD resident and call it in? Just a bit confused on that part.

The video I saw was by Trojan Arms & Tactical and it showed MD compliant rifles with cash and carry. I'd imagine if they are putting out an advertisement they know what to do and will probably be one if the first vendors I visit. I do have an idea of what I'm looking for and it's not hard to look up prices online or make a few calls to get a median price from MD shops.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    As an added note, I would try to know what the brands & models are going for online and at our IP's, so that you have an idea how much they are marking up the price. Some of the dealers there are above MSRP on there firearms. A bunch of $100 bills in you hand never hurts, as it shows them that you are a serious buyer, but don't be afraid to walk away and come back later, Sunday afternoon is usually the best time for deals.

There are a lot of personalities at gun shows among the sellers, some are beyond fair, I had one rant and rave when I asked if he could cut me any kind of break if I bought a dozen magazines from him. Best to know your prices ahead of time.

Shooter_Drew

Feb 2, 2018
    Got it now, I'll just make sure they knkw I am a MD resident before I ever start talking details. If they scoff I'll knkw it won't happen.

One last question as this would be my first AR, I'm looking for somewhat basic to start out with.

MD compliant = HBAR and 16" barrel anything else?

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    So I was at the show last year and selected an LWRC DI rifle from Trader Jerry's - only to find out that *Virginia* had a law banning sales of many rifles to nonresidents (based on features test). I ended up buying from Engage instead for only a little more, so not much harm done.

Is this no longer an issue?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    As long as the rifle is legal in both states, there are no restrictions. But the FFL needs to know MD law to determine that

Ponch

Feb 7, 2018
    Odenton
    I am not the sharpest tool in the shed....but why wouldn't you just buy the lower and build whatever upper you want? Not trying to get around the law, just curious.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Because even if you build one, it has to comply with current MD law, so there is no advantage to building unless you just enjoy it.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I am not the sharpest tool in the shed....but why wouldn't you just buy the lower and build whatever upper you want? Not trying to get around the law, just curious.

Lowers must be purchased in the state of the buyers residence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom