LEO using 77R for banned "assault" weapons?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AK545

Dec 7, 2017
    Saw it a couple times going through some shops in Montgomery county, but wanted to know if this was something that was widely known. Basically, as long as LEO got a letter from the department saying the rifle in question was for duty use and that they had no domestic violence history, they could 77R same day release a banned rifle under the "assault weapon" category on the application. Is this being done for rifles other than AR-15 style rifles? I only ask because I want to know if MSP is okaying rifles that aren't typically patrol rifles, like .308s and AKs etc. Also, will this work for SBRs under 29in OAL? Appreciate any info.

Last edited:

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I believe there is an "Above the Law" clause in a lot of the gun laws so .... maybe. As for getting an answer to this question : The first rule about fight club is ?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The LEO duty letter is one of the exceptions in the law, so, yeah, that sounds about right. No reason it's limited to ARs.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    LEAs use the milpro ARs on the job. They have an exemption for that purpose. It is not “above the law”. It is written into the law. The LEA must certify the purchase is for a rifle to be used on duty. Only after a letter from the Command of that LEA is presented... the active duty LEO May purchase the rifle for duty use. Retired LEOs do not use that exemption as it is not available to them.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    LEAs use the milpro ARs on the job. They have an exemption for that purpose. It is not “above the law”. It is written into the law. The LEA must certify the purchase is for a rifle to be used on duty. Only after a letter from the Command of that LEA is presented... the active duty LEO May purchase the rifle for duty use. Retired LEOs do not use that exemption as it is not available to them.
    My Bad.
    I thought .gov having superior firearms is one school of thought of the 2A (the law I was referring to). Possibility of a tyranical government and all ...
    Probably not appropriate here so I rescind my comment. When the officer retires do they hand over the firearm?

No offense meant to LEOs .. or LEAs

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    My Bad.
    I thought .gov having superior firearms is one school of thought of the 2A (the law I was referring to). Possibility of a tyranical government and all ...
    Probably not appropriate here so I rescind my comment. When the officer retires do they hand over the firearm?

No offense meant to LEOs .. or LEAs

No... Because just like those of us who purchased them before the FSA2013... The rifle was purchased when the law allowed. The LEO should not have to turn it in and we should not have to turn in our pre-FSA2013 milpro rifles either. Both were purchased when the law allowed.

The FSA2013 law should not be there at all... But, it is until we can get it changed. So I am not going to turn in my rifles to placate someone who did not buy one before 10/01/13.

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    I would imagine a police shooting victim lawyer would have a field day if someone was killed with a non-issue, military -grade privately owned assault weapon by an On duty cop.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I would imagine a police shooting victim lawyer would have a field day if someone was killed with a non-issue, military -grade privately owned assault weapon by an On duty cop.

What about getting hit with a privately owned espantoon, or getting handcuffed with privately owned handcuffs, while the LEO is wearing privately owned uniform shoes.

And...Please... Stop using the leftist language. :sad20:

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    I guess some are just tired with exemptions for LEO 's with the gun laws. Makes it look like they are a class above us.

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    Leftist language was intended to be a semi-humorous example of the language said lawyer would likely be using in front of a jury explaining how a deranged, "hell-bent on killing" LEO used a super-duper assault weapon "so deadly it was banned" to brutally murder some misunderstood perpetrator. Because that is exactly what would happen if a non-issue weapon was used in an on duty shooting. Not saying it's right or wrong - just saying that's what would happen.

I have to assume your attempt to equate an espantoon, handcuffs or shoes with a non-issue "assault rifle" was also an attempt at humor.

It looks as if neither one of us is funny.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I guess some are just tired with exemptions for LEO 's with the gun laws. Makes it look like they are a class above us.

And others are just as tired of the fact that they can not purchase a rifle that was legal for you to purchase before 10/01/2013.

If one had made that purchase before that date... does it help in any way that others now hate them for it? Does it make them a different class?

The "class" argument is BS. All it does is divide folks up with animosity and get nothing good accomplished. :sad20:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Leftist language was intended to be a semi-humorous example of the language said lawyer would likely be using in front of a jury explaining how a deranged, "hell-bent on killing" LEO used a super-duper assault weapon "so deadly it was banned" to brutally murder some misunderstood perpetrator. Because that is exactly what would happen if a non-issue weapon was used in an on duty shooting. Not saying it's right or wrong - just saying that's what would happen.

I have to assume your attempt to equate an espantoon, handcuffs or shoes with a non-issue "assault rifle" was also an attempt at humor.

No... No humor was intended in my post at all. I was comparing private owned equipment used on the job by On Duty LEOs... in answer to a distinction which you made in your post.

Using terms like "brutally murdered" when talking about such a sad event... does not help your cause either. Sorry.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md

Plenty of places allow LEO to carry private firearms, including rifles. I carry a personally owned LWRC while working. I could carry a dept rifle but they have to stay at work limiting our ability to practice with them.

My agency will not sign off for banned configuration rifles. I imagine many would sign off on anything they allow their people to carry. I don’t know if any agency in MD that allows anything other than an AR.

For privately owned NFA items, it would have to go through the same paperwork everyone else goes through. Even dept guns are subject to NFA regulations it just doesn’t take as long for the ATF to approve it, kind of like a dealer to dealer transfer.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    No... Because just like those of us who purchased them before the FSA2013... The rifle was purchased when the law allowed. The LEO should not have to turn it in and we should not have to turn in our pre-FSA2013 milpro rifles either. Both were purchased when the law allowed.

The FSA2013 law should not be there at all... But, it is until we can get it changed. So I am not going to turn in my rifles to placate someone who did not buy one before 10/01/13.

Then I’m glad you still have your 2A rights. I will settle for being a lesser citizen.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Then I’m glad you still have your 2A rights. I will settle for being a lesser citizen.

Did you purchase a milpro AR prior to FSA2013?

If you did... by your own logic... you’re a better person than anyone else who lives in Maryland and did not... yet wants to own one.

If you really believe yourself to be a lesser citizen... I can’t/won’t tell you how/what to believe. But, I find the notion completely false.

I live in Maryland... I have restrictions on what I may or may not buy. There are folks living less than thirty miles from me... they can buy those things... and open carry them. Are they better than I? Am I a lesser citizen? Should I hope they lose their rights because I can’t do as they can? Should I get all sour grapes put out because of it... and act like they are somehow at fault in this when they buy/carry what they want?

Because I’m not... seeing them do as they can do gives me the hope that there is still a way for me to share in their freedoms IF WE WORK TOGETHER AND DON’T ALLOW THE SITUATION TO CAUSE A RIFT BETWEEN US.

I don’t believe anyone is better or lesser because of life’s issues. If that were true... you could simply be better than others by moving where there are less restrictions. And THAT would not make you better nor lesser than what any of us are.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I see your point, but I can buy those things without state approval.

Have you considered becoming a LEO?

I assure you... though there are some aspects of the job you may feel are attractive. There are a HOST more that you won’t find appealing.

I do not appreciate the restrictions that the MGA has chosen for the citizens of Maryland. But, I’m not inclined to be acting like it’s the fault of the folks who are not restricted as much. Police are an extremely small percentage of the Maryland population. The greater part of that population are the ones who voted into office... the very folks who made those restrictions into law. Focus your ire on THEM.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

No such firearm exists. There is no definition of Assault Weapon..

That's a gun grabber's term and a liberal talking point.

Nathaniel

Nathan
    Oct 29, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    What about magazines? Can retired Leo's buy, in state of Maryland. twenty or thirty rounds magazines. And is there a waiting period for retired Leo's to buy a hand gun

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom