• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Good morning,

I work around DC and was considering getting a carry permit,

The certification class has to be taken every two years to renew the permit?

Is it worth having? I have never had a CCW permit in any jurisdiction, and have never carried a firearm, but I am quite familiar with firearms as I have owned them for many years now.

Just wondering what you guys think. It feels a little foolish to me, but I was also considering getting a Utah permit, maybe someone lumps the classes together?

From what I have read I can use the training to get a permit from other states such as Florida. Is this true?

Sorry for the rambling post, but thank you

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Some states require a specific course/ qualification , some are very broad in what they accept , some have no training requirement .

DC and Utah both require specific course , tought by instructor certified by them .

With the 16hr training it adds up to a fair chunk of $. And DC has a long list of no carry places . Is it " worth it " ? You have to judge for yourself .

It's not an either/ or choice . Utah is moderate cost to aquire , cheap easy renewals , and good lots of places out of state .

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Good morning,

I work around DC and was considering getting a carry permit,

The certification class has to be taken every two years to renew the permit?

Is it worth having? I have never had a CCW permit in any jurisdiction, and have never carried a firearm, but I am quite familiar with firearms as I have owned them for many years now.

Just wondering what you guys think. It feels a little foolish to me, but I was also considering getting a Utah permit, maybe someone lumps the classes together?

From what I have read I can use the training to get a permit from other states such as Florida. Is this true?

Sorry for the rambling post, but thank you

Do your research. I think you'll find a permit from another state may be required for a NR permit

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Do your research. I think you'll find a permit from another state may be required for a NR permit

I don't think that's true for DC.
    You just need to have the DC approved training. If you have a Resident/NR permit from somewhere else that has a live fire component (or other live fire training/experience) -- you could possibly use that to request an exemption from the range part of the DC requirements.

Last edited:

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I don't think that's true for DC.
    You just need to have the DC approved training. If you have a NR permit from somewhere else that has a live fire component (or other live fire training/experience) -- you could possibly use that to request an exemption from the range part of the DC requirements.

Yes, it actually is true. Here's the application, note question 20.

https://dcgov.seamlessdocs.com/f/ConcealedCarryPistolLicenseApplication

Here are the instructions for completing the application. Note item 3.

https://dcgov.seamlessdocs.com/f/InstructionsForConcealedCarryPistolLicenseApplication

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Yes, it actually is true. Here's the application, note question 20.

https://dcgov.seamlessdocs.com/f/ConcealedCarryPistolLicenseApplication

Here are the instructions for completing the application. Note item 3.

https://dcgov.seamlessdocs.com/f/InstructionsForConcealedCarryPistolLicenseApplication

So I'll happily admit I can be dense sometimes but I don't see question 20 requiring you to have a permit from somewhere else. All Question 20 asks is do you have a residence or place of business in the US AND are licensed to carry by another state.

And if you answer yes to that then they want proof of that license to carry and proof of residence/business.

I don't see that requiring you to have another state's permit before DC will issue you one.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So I'll happily admit I can be dense sometimes but I don't see question 20 requiring you to have a permit from somewhere else. All Question 20 asks is do you have a residence or place of business in the US AND are licensed to carry by another state.

And if you answer yes to that then they want proof of that license to carry and proof of residence/business.

I don't see that requiring you to have another state's permit before DC will issue you one.

You just answered your own question.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Where do you see DC saying you must have a permit from somewhere before they will issue you one.

Question 20 asks if you have a permit they would like to see it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

So you think that they just want to see it because they like playing Show and Tell with you? Okay sure, let's go with that instead of because it's actually in the statute. :lol2:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    O/T but just to compare, I'm fairly sure PA requires a home state permit to get one of their non-res. So it's not unique to DC.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    O/T but just to compare, I'm fairly sure PA requires a home state permit to get one of their non-res. So it's not unique to DC.

They do, but only because the Sheriffs up there like to play the "you show me yours and I'll give you one of ours" game. It has nothing to do with the actual statute or anything. :rolleyes:

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Actually it is true.

Show me proof, the two links you posted are not proof. That and the fact I have read in law review articles that DC is a may issue territory I think they will happily hand out NR permits to those who are not disqualified and have taken the training.

I guess I am going to have to chew on MSR and see what the DC permit instructors there say, I would being close to DC they know a bit about getting the permit.

I was hoping someone who just has a DC permit would chime in, as the gentlemen with the DC and MD permit's doesn't really apply to me because I do not have a MD permit.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Show me proof, the two links you posted are not proof. That and the fact I have read in law review articles that DC is a may issue territory I think they will happily hand out NR permits to those who are not disqualified and have taken the training.

I guess I am going to have to chew on MSR and see what the DC permit instructors there say, I would being close to DC they know a bit about getting the permit.

I was hoping someone who just has a DC permit would chime in, as the gentlemen with the DC and MD permit's doesn't really apply to me because I do not have a MD permit.

I've got a DC permit and have since when they were actually May Issue but WTF do I know.
    I'm not doing the research for you, let your fingers do the walking and look up the statute yourself if you don't believe me.

ETA: you don't need a home state permit to get a NR DC permit, Utah works just fine but you probably won't believe that either.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    The DC permit application just asks if you have another permit. You don’t need another permit to get DC.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The DC permit application just asks if you have another permit. You don’t need another permit to get DC.

If you don't have a residence or business in DC yes, you do.

(f) Has a bona fide residence or place of business:
    (1) Within the District of Columbia;
    (2) Within the United States and a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person
    issued by the lawful authorities of any State or subdivision of the United States; or

(3) Within the United States and meets all registration and licensing requirements pursuant to
    the Act;
    (h) Is a suitable person to be so licensed.

Contrary to the opinion of some on this thread the MPD aren't asking because they want to be neighborly FFS.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    4ejypo.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member