• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    I appreciate all of the info and it is a lot to consider. I think my plan is to buy a decent scope soon in the under 1k range for the ar-10. Something that will let me reach out to 600 yards or so. After I get more comfortable with the longer range I have a 700 action I would like to set up as a precision long range rifle. That is the one I will have to consider sinking my marriage, I mean more money into the optic.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    600 with an AR10, yeah you definitely don't need to spend a fortune to do that. In the mid $300 to $500 range, you have plenty of good options to choose from. 44mm objective is plenty, 56mm's will work too, but they do tend to add a little weight.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    600 with an AR10, yeah you definitely don't need to spend a fortune to do that. In the mid $300 to $500 range, you have plenty of good options to choose from. 44mm objective is plenty, 56mm's will work too, but they do tend to add a little weight.

Agree with Brad for 600 yards you don't need to spend alot of $.

Still think Athlon is the best choice for the money.

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    Impressed with the value of my Nikon fx1000. I really haven't run it through the ringer yet but 50 shots later and it's a good value. I think there are better $1000 + class scopes but for $700 it's hard to beat. And yes I am aware of the Nikon / NRA situation.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    But, you also don't want to buy an off the rack Remington with a pencil barrel and a flimsy tupperware stock for a couple of hundred less than the stock 700P if you're planning on shooting long range either.

WEEELLLLLL.

http://www.bangsteel.com/philosophy....html

:D

Not saying that it is the best way to go, but it is possible.

I did a Bang Steel class with a buddy who rented his rifle from them. Shooting FGMM 168 grain, he was out to 1000 yards without trouble.

Savage in .308 with a SWFA fixed 10x.

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    I went with a refurbished Steiner 3-12×50. It gets good reviews and was in my price range. If it doesn't do what I want for this rifle I always have something else that could use a good optic. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    That is definitely crazy. Leaning towards the LaRue. I can get the non QD one for $50 less. I can't see a reason to be swapping scopes often. Thanks for the info.

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    Ok. Ordered an AD Recon 20 moa mount and an Atlas bipod. I think that should finish this project. Just need to put it all together. Any other recommended accessories?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Bubble level? Are you familiar with scope leveling? I'd recommend using a plumb line to get your reticle leveled then level your bubble level to your scope. Having a level reticle and keeping your rifle level while shooting will help with longer range shots. It's not as important to keep your scope level to your rifle as it is to keep your scope level to your bubble.

I use this, https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Prof...pID=41qIl3kgN2L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Last edited:

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Poor man's scope leveling trick...take a feeler gauge (or a deck of cards will do if you don't have a feeler gauge) and place it between the scope base (assuming you have a quality one piece base) and the bottom of your scope turrets (assuming that is flat, it usually is for scopes with adjustable turrets). You want the gauge to be snug, but not so tight that you can't remove it after snugging down your scope rings.

It might not be as precise as the scope leveling kit / bubbles, but every time I've used this method and checked it against a plumb line it's been good.

Worst case, it's a fast and easy, field expedient, "works in a pinch" method if you don't have a fancy leveling kit handy. Best case, it'll save you money.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Ok. Ordered an AD Recon 20 moa mount and an Atlas bipod. I think that should finish this project. Just need to put it all together. Any other recommended accessories?

Nice bipod :party29:

Maybe a rear shooter's bag. I like the Tab rear bag, but to be honest you can make your own very easily with an old sock and some rice (or sand, or better yet silicon bean bag filler). Find an old OD green sock if you want to be "tactical."

Lastly, look to get into reloading if you want to make better than match grade ammo at bulk ammo prices.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Wow, seems you have picked out some nice stuff. Not sure I would call any of it entry level but then again I guess that's relative. Report back and let us know how she shoots.

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    Seemed like the most common piece of advice was buy the best that I could from the start. This is going to be my first foray into >500 yard shooting. Now just need to get everything, put it together, and get some range time.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Poor man's scope leveling trick...take a feeler gauge (or a deck of cards will do if you don't have a feeler gauge) and place it between the scope base (assuming you have a quality one piece base) and the bottom of your scope turrets (assuming that is flat, it usually is for scopes with adjustable turrets). You want the gauge to be snug, but not so tight that you can't remove it after snugging down your scope rings.

It might not be as precise as the scope leveling kit / bubbles, but every time I've used this method and checked it against a plumb line it's been good.

Worst case, it's a fast and easy, field expedient, "works in a pinch" method if you don't have a fancy leveling kit handy. Best case, it'll save you money.

Except the scope does not need to be leveled to the rifle.

The scope needs to be leveled to the world, when you are shooting it (normal hold).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom