Waterfowl hunters: are you seeing snows this year?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Made it home for deer season, SoDel.

Saw Canada’s and the local ducks out. Moderate numbers.

I recall seeing NO snow geese. In previous years, the morning hunts have flocks going over. In Waves.

What are you guys seeing this year?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Made it home for deer season, SoDel.

Saw Canada’s and the local ducks out. Moderate numbers.

I recall seeing NO snow geese. In previous years, the morning hunts have flocks going over. In Waves.

What are you guys seeing this year?
    I was down lower Dorchester, at Blackwater and below on Tuesday. I saw no snows and very few migratory ducks (no buffleheads down yet).

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    So it’s almost two weeks since opening day…

Talked with the owner there today. The snows showed up just south of prime hook.

Just seemed kind of late compared to earlier years.

730waters

Apr 20, 2013
    Rising Sun, Md
    I have been running the shore from Cecil County down to Somerset County to all of the farms that I am on. I have only seen a few small groups of snows in Kent County. I have a big goose farm in Kent County and down in Tilghman's island areas and the Canada migrators are in short supply. I have seen more Canada's around Madison Bay and Taylors Island areas in Dorchester, than anywhere else in the last 3 weeks.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Cambridge yesterday

Attachments

• 20211124_135453.jpg
      20211124_135453.jpg
      82.2 KB · Views: 136

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    From my wildlife biologist friend

The Greater Snow population is monitored based on a spring survey conducted in the St. Lawrence Valley, Quebec, Can. This years survey estimated about 750,000 geese. This number continues a general downward trend during recent years, but is still well above the long term average. The population peaked during the period from the late 1990s to early 2000s at over 1 million. The St. Lawrence River is a major staging area in the fall for these birds and my bet is they are held up there if cold weather has not caused them to move. Unfortunately, due to COVID travel restriction in the U.S. and Canada, much of the normal surveys and field work conducted on the breeding grounds has not been carried out. Therefore, I do not know what the breeding grounds conditions were this year.

Oh, back around the 1900 period the number of Greater Snow Geese was only about 25,000. Even in the 80s the population was about 200k or so. I think most arctic saw goose populations are due for a correction. The populations have been overwhelming their habitat on the breeding grounds.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I suspect that our very warm fall kept a lot of animals in place later than usual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom