• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    I am sure that there are those among the members here, who have varying opinions on this subject. Why would a person want a Mini-14 over an AR?

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    You can dress a mini up all in wood. Very pretty. On both platforms, the limiting factor is me (offhand, irons, 12" steel target).

The AR posts tighter groups, but all rounds land on the plate, and I'm good with that.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Because they're cool :cool:

I've now got both. I just wanted something different, and haven't added to my gun collection in quite awhile. :D

Here's a pretty good pro-video about them:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    There's pretty much no advantage to a Mini-14 now over an AR. Quality AR parts and mags can be sourced from numerous places. ARs can be lighter. A regular AR is very accurate as it is with the DI gas, but can be made more accurate with free float tubes. It's easier to stick optics on an AR.

The biggest difference is that AR mags are the most common rifle magazines available and are stupidly cheap. I wouldn't buy a 5.56 semi auto rifle that didn't take AR mags, just like I wouldn't buy a detachable mag, semi auto 7.62x39 rifle that didn't take AK mags.

For ban compliance, the Fightlite SCR is a better choice. Not only does it take mostly AR parts and mags, it's also a hair lighter than the Mini-14.
    https://fightlite.com/collections/scr-rifles/products/ares-scr-010

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    While I can't say this is from personal experience it is from a friend. When he went to rifle instructor school when we were both federal law enforcement officers, he took his AR-15. He said everyone in the class (this was in the early 1990s) used either a Colt AR-15 or a Ruger Mini-14. He said they did a great deal of shooting throughout the week and by the end of the week all the ARs were still working and everyone with a Mini wanted to wrap them around a pole due to malfunctions from the intense use. All he could say was the Colts were designed for heavy use and the Minis were designed for much lighter civilian use and couldn't take it.

Not my story but his. Things may be different now...there are many AR-15 clones produced now which may or may not stand up to the abuse.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    There's bad, there's good, and there's plenty good enough. All about what you want for what purpose.

Now given an either/or proposition, I'd personally go AR. But plenty of room for both, and I like both, plus a good .223 bolt or two. No, the Mini isn't going to be a tack driving bench rifle, but nor was it ever intended to be.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    AR's are cheaper, like Lego's when it come to modding, magazines are dirt cheap, more accurate (depends on shooter, ammo and barrel) and easier to maintain.

I have both, AR's scare some people, wood mini 14's not so much.

Get both.

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    I have both, the ar's are more accurate. The mini is cool and mine has been reliable. I put a factory wood stock on mine, 16" barrel one with the flash hider. I didn't care for the synthetic one.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I pity the fool that don't think Mini 14s are cool:D

esvjJKN.jpg

What's next? Some sucker don't like the GMC Vandura? Rather have some Econoline?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Mini-14 is dressed in wood and for killin deer, while AR15 is dressed in scary black and for killing children?

Honestly, I think that the mini-14 is a classic design, like the 1911. Way cheaper to shoot than a Garand, or a M1A. It's like a piece of history with 1/2 the recoil.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    1985 called and wants his Mini 14 back.

He will be coming by in his Pontiac Trans-Am w/ bitchin' 8-track.

Attachments

• 17D1A946-E6AA-4844-B8C6-36E84FBC11A6.jpg
      17D1A946-E6AA-4844-B8C6-36E84FBC11A6.jpg
      53.1 KB · Views: 623

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Mini-14 is dressed in wood and for killin deer, while AR15 is dressed in scary black and for killing children?

Honestly, I think that the mini-14 is a classic design, like the 1911. Way cheaper to shoot than a Garand, or a M1A. It's like a piece of history with 1/2 the recoil.

Mini 14 is the first gun that I've ever used grease on. It was very interesting and I think it was palpable with the felt difference of the action; as opposed to a regular gun lubricant.

It is interesting to step away from an AR platform for once, and try something different. My AR was a reluctant purchase right before Obama took the Presidency. I've had my fill of shooting AR's... but thought I'd never own one if I did not purchase it then.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I own both. You should own both.

The AR15 is certainly more tactical and more accurate. However the Mini is a great utility rifle/carbine. Also most importantly, the Mini tends to be more fun at the range. In my opinion the Mini is best enjoyed resting in a wood stock with iron sights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom