• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teawhy

Mar 24, 2017
    Southern Maryland
    Hello all. I have a buddy visiting from PA over Memorial Day weekend, and we'd like to do some shooting. I'm new(ish) to the area and haven't been to Myrtle Grove yet, so I'm looking for the inside scoop.

I assume it's going to be crowded on weekends. Will it be so crowded it's not worth an attempt?

He's got some firearms that are banned here. All purchased pre-2013 (I think) so can he bring them down, or is he risking trouble?

With that being said, if he's able to bring them down (legally) are the patrons/staff there going to make a stink about it? I don't want either of us to face any negative attention. Just looking for a good time.

Lastly, if there's anywhere (public) that's a better option I'm all ears. Thanks.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    If it's a weekend I suggest you get there 15-20 minutes before it opens. You might get lucky but every time I went on a weekend I had to end up waiting in line anyway with only an hour to shoot.

If they were purchased before Oct 1, 2013 they should be fine.

There's no staff there, but there is a "range officer" that comes down every now and then to check if everyone's safe. Most people police themselves quite well, although there are bad eggs. Just be aware of those around you.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Holiday weekend will probably be busy, grandson and I went yesterday (Friday) morning and there was only 1 other person there. When we left 2 others had showed up. Heat was terrible, plan ahead, plenty of water and even a large umbrella will help.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    It's sporadic, you could get there and not wait or you could get there and wait an hour.
    The rule is if someone has been there longer than an hour they need to get up and allow the next people to have a change.

Anything pre 13 is good to go.
    However I've been there a dozen times and no one has ever questioned me, only the occasional that's such a cool gun etc it's friendly.

And in southern MD that's your best bet, unless y'all take a trip up to del marva which is beautiful!

teawhy

Mar 24, 2017
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks all. We'll probably try to get there right before it opens one of the days.

Where is the Delmarva range(s) mentioned? Neither of us will be opposed to a drive if it means more time on the range..

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    Thanks all. We'll probably try to get there right before it opens one of the days.

Where is the Delmarva range(s) mentioned? Neither of us will be opposed to a drive if it means more time on the range..

delmarva is a huge outdoor range and i believe it goes out to 300-400 yds with steel targets I went out there once and has a blast.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Delmarva has pistol pits and goes out to 500 yards (500 yard line is an extra $10, IIRC). Standard rifle firing line ranges from 25 to 300 yards.

Bit of a drive, but good people, steel targets, and heaven when the weather is nice.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Here what the stands and range at Myrtle Grove look like, it's rustic but you can shoot

Attachments

• MG.jpg
      MG.jpg
      120.8 KB · Views: 714

teawhy

Mar 24, 2017
    Southern Maryland
    Spent a couple hours at MG on Saturday. Got there at about 10am and it was packed. There was one lane opened and the folks stashing their gear on that table kindly made room for us.

All in all it's a decent range, but there was some not so safe stuff going on. General rookie shooter stuff that was usually corrected by their host. One thing that really troubled us was that one couple brought their baby, who was less than a year old. They parked a stroller behind their table and put ear muffs on the kid, but we couldn't believe it. Had they not started packing up shortly after we got there we would have called DNR (probably should have initially).

The riff-raff cleared out around 11am and some more professional/experienced shooters showed up. After that we had a really good experience and met some great people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom