• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Many of us have escaped the PRoMD for the Sunshine State. Maybe time for us to talk among ourselves while we celebrate being in free America?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    Hey! That's what I did. But how long till were next? Already red flag laws... talk of no more state preemption...awb...Is there anywhere left to hide?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Why Florida? Why not Texas? Why not Colorado or South Korea? Better to have a "Maryland Diaspora" forum, but frankly, more fora are just confusing. I just hit "new posts" obsessively.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Florida got good and it got bad where you hang your hat has a lot to do with how you feel about the place, it wasn't luck I found a good part of the Space Coast, there areas here I wouldn't drive through just like Baltimorge.

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I will be a Florida resident in about a month. We close on our house in MD in 1 week and then head to Florida to buy a new house. I can't wait to get the hell out of here.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    As of late it seems like a bad idea to move to a conservative state with a good economy as progressives are leaving their states in droves for higher ground but then keeping up with the communist voting style after they move.

Florida, Texas, Colorado, North Carolina, Arizona were all relatively free states that are currently being invaded by progressives and will most likely be blue states within a decade. If you are going to move to a conservative state I would recommend three things.

1. Look at the 2016 and 2018 voting records. You don’t want to move to a state that went anywhere below 60R:40D in the presidential or senate elections. The states hovering around 50:50 are just a time bomb at this point which are going to be blue within a decade

2. Look at the tax structure. Places with either a flat or no income tax are a huge benefit to keeping progressives out of the state. A flat tax or no state income tax (normally replaced with a flat sales tax) means that lower/middle people will be the ones footing the bill for any government expansions. It turns out that lower/middle class people don’t like paying for this stuff which means the government is not big to start with. When progressives look to move, they will see that the cities don’t have free healthcare, free transportation, free parks, free etc and decide to move somewhere else.

3. This is one that I don’t personally like but social conservatism is a huge plus when trying to keep progressives out of your state. Abortion bans, marriage bans, large Evangelical cultures, etc are all great weapons against progressives. You want them to look at your state and say “Man, that place is a backwards crap hole.”

The cancer is spreading, no doubt about it. I don’t have much faith in America or the youth we are currently producing but hopefully I will be dead before the SHTF moment really happens and can live the last 50ish years in a good state(s).

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Keeping my nose to the grind stone to produce inventory to take to FL for hopefully a month in the winter, following the money (horses).

In regards to a move is SC in the running?

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    I’m in Melbourne, and we have PMRPC for a range. . I still have my house in MD, and go back occasionally for business meetings. Usually it takes driving to work one time that makes me want to go back to Florida as soon as possible. We did go to the Guinness brewery, which was cool.
    Living in or near a small city seems ideal. Large enough to have attractions and small enough for reasonable people to manage.

Sent from my iBunker using Tapatalk Pro

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Port Malabar Rifle and Pistol Club is a top notch operation but it’s a bit too organized for me and I don’t have free extra funds nor shoot that often to justify spending the money to join. I normal go to Frog-bones its only a 15 minute drive and for a Retired military $10 hour $1 targets, double tap next door is great place to eat after shooting, I checked out an outdoor range down the road about a hours drive Indian River Public Shooting Range, under $15 a day for rifle and Pistol, I was looking for a place to shoot my mil-surpl ammo, Now I’m retired I have to budget my entertainment dollars, the price of beer still hasn’t gone down. :cool:

Last edited:

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I will be a Florida resident in about a month. We close on our house in MD in 1 week and then head to Florida to buy a new house. I can't wait to get the hell out of here.
    We sold our house on August 7th and close on the new one in VA on Wednesday, assuming the VA people finally approve underwriting. Our VA appraiser apparently got heat stroke and thus didn't complete his appraisal report until the middle of last week, so we might be pushing things to the right a few days at the worst. I have verbal assurances from PenFed that we will be good to go on Wednesday, but I won't relax until we have closed.

At any rate the salient point is that we are out of MD and WILL have a beautiful home in VA in a few days. VA ain't perfect, but for the time being it is better than MD when it comes to gun laws. Not so much taxes though. Sadly.

BrianinMd

Feb 16, 2008
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Baltimorgue -

Florida got good and it got bad where you hang your hat has a lot to do with how you feel about the place, it wasn't luck I found a good part of the Space Coast, there areas here I wouldn't drive through just like Baltimorge.

Yeah, I agree Bob! I live just outside the city and I’m not going in there. I don’t feel like running for cover or dodging bullets!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom