Jun 19, 2011
    WW1 style.

5123130411_09422f8c95_b.jpg

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Or a straight razor. ;)

I've never had the courage to use a straight razor. I have a pretty good scar on my face from not paying attention while using a SAFETY razor. I'd be afraid I'd cut my throat with a straight razor.

(incidentally, I shave with a single-blade Schick Injector - all those folks that say you need 2, 3, 4, or more blades to get a close shave are full of crap!)

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    I've never had the courage to use a straight razor. I have a pretty good scar on my face from not paying attention while using a SAFETY razor. I'd be afraid I'd cut my throat with a straight razor.

(incidentally, I shave with a single-blade Schick Injector - all those folks that say you need 2, 3, 4, or more blades to get a close shave are full of crap!)

I've had the privileged of being a customer to a barber shop that had been around for 40 years by the time I became a regular customer for a while. A father and son team - both Navy veterans (father: Korea, son: Vietnam). Although I never had a straight razor there touch my face, nothing could beat the warm shaving cream on my neck with the straight razor finishing off the haircut. He even stropped the razor on a leather strop old school like.

I've played around with a Safety razor. I have a German Merkur, a badger hair English made brush and various kinds of soaps. I'll give this old set up a whirl once in a while. I hate to admit that a Gillette Mach 3 gets used the most.

:thumbsup:

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I've had the privileged of being a customer to a barber shop that had been around for 40 years by the time I became a regular customer for a while. A father and son team - both Navy veterans (father: Korea, son: Vietnam). Although I never had a straight razor there touch my face, nothing could beat the warm shaving cream on my neck with the straight razor finishing off the haircut. He even stropped the razor on a leather strop old school like.

I've played around with a Safety razor. I have a German Merkur, a badger hair English made brush and various kinds of soaps. I'll give this old set up a whirl once in a while. I hate to admit that a Gillette Mach 3 gets used the most.

:thumbsup:

I've been shaved with a straight razor, by a barber, a couple of times. It's a treat. If they're good your face is smooth as a baby's ass for a couple days. They're great and I recommend it to anyone. There's a cool place in downtown Baltimore called The Quintessential Gentleman that has that service and many more. Neat place!

Gillette Mach 3?!? And a blade aficionado at that? Shame...shame...shame.

Feb 28, 2013

Aww hell, try it once. You'll like it. Works good for me

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      57.9 KB · Views: 652

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    See that 1/2 inch scar? That was not obtained through a knife fight over a card game at Rick's Place in Casablanca. That happened one evening while shaving with a Merkur Safety razor. The bathroom looked like a murder scene. Straight razor? I don't think so. :rolleyes:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362587547.792432.jpg

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ***Most if not all of the people in this country who had to use a straight razor to shave are dead now (fortunately of old age as opposed to shaving accidents..) My grandfather was in the barber business and he used a straight razor on folks back in the 40's and 50's but only because they grew up using them.

I understand that safety razors have been around now for some time and have perhaps lost some of their romance but they were nothing short of revolutionary back in the day. After watching that scene in the Godfather there is NOOOO way I am letting anyone near my throat with a straight razor..

I also don't want to have to crank start my car nor use an old film camera over a modern digital one either..

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I miss my old Land Rover 109; I never had to use the crank to start it, but it was good to know that it was there if I needed it.

There's something exciting about a stone simple mechanical object that is so well thought out, and so suited for venturing into places where there are no mechanics, no spare parts; you're on your own, and your vehicle has to function or you will be walking home for the next thousand miles.

My grandfather, cheap SOB that he was, had a device, basically a handle into which he could clamp his used razor blades, and re-sharpen them with a strop.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Anyone know of a GOOD barber shop? Straight razor shaves are a plus, but not a requirement. Looking for a real barber, not these cheesy trade school "cosmetologists" like you find at the Hair Butchery. I used to have an awesome barber, he cut my hair for almost 20 years but he unfortunately passed away about five years ago.

ReticulateLemur

Oct 29, 2012
    Anyone know of a GOOD barber shop? Straight razor shaves are a plus, but not a requirement. Looking for a real barber, not these cheesy trade school "cosmetologists" like you find at the Hair Butchery. I used to have an awesome barber, he cut my hair for almost 20 years but he unfortunately passed away about five years ago.

Depending on how close you are to Baltimore, you could try Quinntessential Gentleman. I go there for my haircuts and have never been disappointed.

Back to the topic at hand, I've been shaving with a Merkur razor, Gillette blades, and Mystic Water soap for almost a year now and I couldn't imagine ever going back to a multi-blade monstrosity and canned shaving goop. I'm probably going to pick up a straight razor at some point this year and have a go at that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom