• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Yes, tilling is not advantageous.

It breaks up the existing microbiome. The good stuff that may be down there is brought to the surface to be oxygenated and penetrated with UV. It kills the good stuff.

Topdress. Compost, organic materials, wood chips, lasagna composting, worm castings, humanure, etc.

True. I had a great planting area that I destroyed through tilling before I knew better. Just built some raised beds to plant in to avoid my own damage.

My soil is more like a gravel pit so I till it in. Maybe I'm harming it but so far I haven't had issues.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    I got a separate garden that is mulched in a 30 x 40 fence. This is the very top of my neighbors I am planting in. My daughter wants to can, and I plan to keep her busy. This is the neighbors garden and he likes to till it.

4 rows of first planting corn and 6 rows of bush beans coming up now that is rained.
    beside that is a partial view of two 50' rows of Amish paste tomatoes with 24 in each row. The neighbor wanted 12 and I wanted excess if we needed more and the chickens can eat the extras.

Maybe tomorrow will get planted 2 rows of detroit beets 30 yards long, with two rows of kale. The two rows each of Salad bowl and butter crunch summer lettuce in 10 yard or 15 yard rows and three weeks fill the other 15 yards.

Mulch garden has
    2 16' rows of snap peas
    1 16' row of beef steak tomatoes
    1 trellace of 4 cherry tomatoes
    20 green peppers to be florida weaved
    4 banana pepper
    4 Jalapeno peppers
    100 onions
    8 Musica garlic from failed planting last year to grow as seed cloves
    10 Broccoli
    9 Zunchini plantings with three seeds,waiting to sprout two
    2 16' rows of cattle panel for pickling cucumbers
    Got late start Okra and brussel sprouts to get in there also.

Top of the hill by me smokehouse got basil for the Amish paste tomato canning and Cilantro for the salsa.

Why do these load sideways? I guess you have to take them on your phone like a video to work on this site? It is upright on my computer.

Great looking garden! plenty of fresh veggies and canned ones for the winter.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Raised beds are great if you have bad soil. Have you tried getting a few yards of compro or mushroom compost? Leaves are fine but really not the best for mixing with mediocre soil. Have you had your soil tested? Without knowing anything else about your situation I would try to find enough compost to cover 4 inches deep then till it in. I just did that this spring with my garden and compro. Will likely do it again next spring as well.

Never tested the soil, but a lot of the problem is the shale around here. It's damn hard for anything to grow in it. There's more rock than dirt here.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    For anyone who is growing garlic be on the lookout for scapes. They are starting to emerge.

Attachments

• 9506A778-B041-4767-8C40-F08DECAA42F9.jpg
      9506A778-B041-4767-8C40-F08DECAA42F9.jpg
      225.9 KB · Views: 178

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I am finding it damn near impossible to get wood chips from the tree trimmers. I used to have to tell them "Stop, no more right now." Now I can't get one to show up.

Those guys are notoriously flaky. My old neighbor was a tree guy, and he dumped all of his chips behind his house. I'm not kidding...he had a pile 50 yards wide and 20' deep in places. I had permission to take as much as i wanted, so everyone I knew had as much as they wanted.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I tilled. no till was not feasible. It is not a one size fits all. Soil, location, drainage, etc... btw, I have both. I planted my extras in no till land. I grew everything from seeds. no skin off my nose.

https://morningchores.com/till-vs-no-till/

That is a cute website. It is not scientifically based. It is all blog and fluff.

Agronomy vs "you have to use your phone" and "makes fall chores easier" .

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Was able to get the raised beds in thursday. Took a little trial and error to get the rain flo set up just right. Rather time consuming but I think it turned out ok. Will connect all the drip lines into the header line this week and test it all before we transplant from the greenhouse in the next week or so.

Attachments

• IMG_20210527_180809.jpg
      IMG_20210527_180809.jpg
      78.5 KB · Views: 145

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Was able to get the raised beds in thursday. Took a little trial and error to get the rain flo set up just right. Rather time consuming but I think it turned out ok. Will connect all the drip lines into the header line this week and test it all before we transplant from the greenhouse in the next week or so.

Thats a field.;)

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    That is a cute website. It is not scientifically based. It is all blog and fluff.

Agronomy vs "you have to use your phone" and "makes fall chores easier" .

Ok, this is a full-till fail. Got it.:D

Attachments

• gardenmay.jpg
      gardenmay.jpg
      66.2 KB · Views: 207

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    At the garden plucking suckers off tomatoes with a coat on. WTH. Lol

First year growing Brussel sprouts. Will these need stakes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County

Do you use one of those machines that plant directly from the flats? Those are awesome to watch.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ok, this is a full-till fail. Got it.:D

I don't think you are appreciating the no till vs tillage conversation.

You're right, plants can grow. They grow from rocks. They grow in all sorts of places. I have some seeds from something I vericomposted months ago growing very well in my garage...no natural light.

Long term.

Sprint v marathon.

Soil health declines each tillage and requires increasing amounts of input.

Also, your post has little to do with the blog you posted. You agree your post, your source is really just cute Etsy blogging and not science?

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Do you use one of those machines that plant directly from the flats? Those are awesome to watch.

I don't have a planter yet. The machine we use makes the bed and lays down a row of drip tape and covers it with plastic mulch. We will be transplanting into the field by hand.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    No tomatoes or peppers this year just pineapples, got fruit on 4 in the pool area and 8 in the new pineapple grove.

Attachments

• 1pool.jpg
      1pool.jpg
      16.2 KB · Views: 156
    • 2pool.jpg
      2pool.jpg
      15.6 KB · Views: 157
    • 1grove.jpg
      1grove.jpg
      18.4 KB · Views: 156
    • 2grove.jpg
      2grove.jpg
      18.4 KB · Views: 154
    • 3grove.jpg
      3grove.jpg
      18.3 KB · Views: 163

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I pulled out all my basil today. They all had this black death on the leaves. Was t taking any chances for it to spread to other things. Hopefully I got them out in time. May replant if I can find some more.

Attachments

• 20210604_164745.jpg
      20210604_164745.jpg
      90.4 KB · Views: 149
    • 20210604_164728.jpg
      20210604_164728.jpg
      67.1 KB · Views: 147

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    How are you all controlling the rabbits? My Black female cat died and used to keep them thinned as babies and the young replacements have not been given the wife's seal of approval to be released outside yet. The younger Rabbits are slipping right through my 2x4x48 fence. My egg plant and Okra are gone already

I am considering 2' chicken wire around my garden. The neighbors is too big for that and they are picking all the leaves off my bush beans. I'm about to start weighting any rabbit within 100 yards with a 22 mag, but I love rabbit and hate to shoot one now. When if Nov 7th came its all braised rabbit then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom