• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    How many of you all save seeds? I know all about fermenting wet seeds like tomatoes. I save green pepper seeds last year and planted 24 and not a damn one grew. My amish paste and beef steak came up fine, but not a pepper sprouted. Do any of these need a freeze cycle like apple seeds?

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    The garlic is looking nice and happy. Looks like every single garlic clove sprouted. I got the cloves from last year’s harvest. German White garlic.

Attachments

• AE47F98D-68A2-44E4-9765-16FF1555187D.jpg
      AE47F98D-68A2-44E4-9765-16FF1555187D.jpg
      245.6 KB · Views: 242

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    My lettuce box looks like crap. Planted plants last weekend and they're yellowing and not growing much. Built the raised salad box from some stuff I found online. Been watering every other day or so if it doesn't rain. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210427_181854.jpg
      20210427_181854.jpg
      193.6 KB · Views: 237

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    The day after you water dig down in a safe spot and see if it’s still moist. Dunno what type of soil it is but maybe it needs more water and some straw or amendment on top to keep it from evaporating quickly. Gotta find that balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    The day after you water dig down in a safe spot and see if it’s still moist. Dunno what type of soil it is but maybe it needs more water and some straw or amendment on top to keep it from evaporating quickly. Gotta find that balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a compost and topsoil mix. I'll do that tomorrow since I watered today.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Decided to mess up my lawn and put a small garden in. Time to see how this all works.

It is mostly planted as of today.

Attachments

• garden1.jpg
      garden1.jpg
      49.5 KB · Views: 167
    • garden2.jpg
      garden2.jpg
      51.9 KB · Views: 164

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    How many of you all save seeds? I know all about fermenting wet seeds like tomatoes. I save green pepper seeds last year and planted 24 and not a damn one grew. My amish paste and beef steak came up fine, but not a pepper sprouted. Do any of these need a freeze cycle like apple seeds?

I save seeds every year. Pepper / tomatoes / herbs / squash / watermelon! And others..

Pepper are hard to get started from seeds!
    Many ways that I have tryed failed or is too expensive for me!
    Seed mats are said to be the best way.. Too expensive for me..

What has worked for me, two solo cups! One cup with a few holes on the bottom, then in the other cup I put about an inch of potting mix! Put cup with holes inside other one, warm wet potting mix in top cup!

Then I have a "seed rack" that have a oil heater in it that has been running for about a week and has an internal temperature of at least 80 degrees!

Pots that are set up, are put inside seed area for a few days before planting.

I soak pepper seeds for two days in a few teaspoons of water!

Plant them no more than a 1/4 into soil!

Grow lights set on timers for a min of 12 hours a day until seeds sprouts to two leaves, then 8 hours..

Lights are inches above the seeds, they must stay wet on the top 1/2 inch! The two cups move too much water to the bottom cup and will keep them from drowning..

I want 12 pepper plants, so I will plant 2 or 3 seeds per pot. One to two will grow.. I would say 60 percent grow rate!

It will take 4 to 6 weeks for them to start to grow..

I start them in early Feb...

Goodluck

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I'm going to seed over my garden this year. The soil here sucks too bad, and barely anything grows. I've tilled in leaves each fall for 7 years, and the soil still won't produce. I think I'll pair down what I plant, and put a raised box somewhere. My neighbor has had good luck with those.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I'm going to seed over my garden this year. The soil here sucks too bad, and barely anything grows. I've tilled in leaves each fall for 7 years, and the soil still won't produce. I think I'll pair down what I plant, and put a raised box somewhere. My neighbor has had good luck with those.

Raised beds are great if you have bad soil. Have you tried getting a few yards of compro or mushroom compost? Leaves are fine but really not the best for mixing with mediocre soil. Have you had your soil tested? Without knowing anything else about your situation I would try to find enough compost to cover 4 inches deep then till it in. I just did that this spring with my garden and compro. Will likely do it again next spring as well.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    Johnson-Su bioreactor ready to fill, built yesterday. I left a big heap of compostable material out in the rain yesterday to soak and hopefully I’ll have time to get it done this afternoon.

Attachments

• 2D9CCEF6-E9A3-4228-995D-4A1CB52F950A.jpg
      2D9CCEF6-E9A3-4228-995D-4A1CB52F950A.jpg
      59.9 KB · Views: 189

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    Raised beds are great if you have bad soil. Have you tried getting a few yards of compro or mushroom compost? Leaves are fine but really not the best for mixing with mediocre soil. Have you had your soil tested? Without knowing anything else about your situation I would try to find enough compost to cover 4 inches deep then till it in. I just did that this spring with my garden and compro. Will likely do it again next spring as well.

Forgo the tilling. Top dress and let it be.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Forgo the tilling. Top dress and let it be.

Yes, tilling is not advantageous.

It breaks up the existing microbiome. The good stuff that may be down there is brought to the surface to be oxygenated and penetrated with UV. It kills the good stuff.

Topdress. Compost, organic materials, wood chips, lasagna composting, worm castings, humanure, etc.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I got a separate garden that is mulched in a 30 x 40 fence. This is the very top of my neighbors I am planting in. My daughter wants to can, and I plan to keep her busy. This is the neighbors garden and he likes to till it.

4 rows of first planting corn and 6 rows of bush beans coming up now that is rained.
    beside that is a partial view of two 50' rows of Amish paste tomatoes with 24 in each row. The neighbor wanted 12 and I wanted excess if we needed more and the chickens can eat the extras.

Maybe tomorrow will get planted 2 rows of detroit beets 30 yards long, with two rows of kale. The two rows each of Salad bowl and butter crunch summer lettuce in 10 yard or 15 yard rows and three weeks fill the other 15 yards.

Mulch garden has
    2 16' rows of snap peas
    1 16' row of beef steak tomatoes
    1 trellace of 4 cherry tomatoes
    20 green peppers to be florida weaved
    4 banana pepper
    4 Jalapeno peppers
    100 onions
    8 Musica garlic from failed planting last year to grow as seed cloves
    10 Broccoli
    9 Zunchini plantings with three seeds,waiting to sprout two
    2 16' rows of cattle panel for pickling cucumbers
    Got late start Okra and brussel sprouts to get in there also.

Top of the hill by me smokehouse got basil for the Amish paste tomato canning and Cilantro for the salsa.

Why do these load sideways? I guess you have to take them on your phone like a video to work on this site? It is upright on my computer.

Attachments

• Top of hembrocks 05-26.jpg
      Top of hembrocks 05-26.jpg
      188.2 KB · Views: 135

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    A thing of beauty. Well done and fun.

I got a separate garden that is mulched in a 30 x 40 fence. This is the very top of my neighbors I am planting in. My daughter wants to can, and I plan to keep her busy. This is the neighbors garden and he likes to till it.

4 rows of first planting corn and 6 rows of bush beans coming up now that is rained.
    beside that is a partial view of two 50' rows of Amish paste tomatoes with 24 in each row. The neighbor wanted 12 and I wanted excess if we needed more and the chickens can eat the extras.

Maybe tomorrow will get planted 2 rows of detroit beets 30 yards long, with two rows of kale. The two rows each of Salad bowl and butter crunch summer lettuce in 10 yard or 15 yard rows and three weeks fill the other 15 yards.

Mulch garden has
    2 16' rows of snap peas
    1 16' row of beef steak tomatoes
    1 trellace of 4 cherry tomatoes
    20 green peppers to be florida weaved
    4 banana pepper
    4 Jalapeno peppers
    100 onions
    8 Musica garlic from failed planting last year to grow as seed cloves
    10 Broccoli
    9 Zunchini plantings with three seeds,waiting to sprout two
    2 16' rows of cattle panel for pickling cucumbers
    Got late start Okra and brussel sprouts to get in there also.

Top of the hill by me smokehouse got basil for the Amish paste tomato canning and Cilantro for the salsa.

Why do these load sideways? I guess you have to take them on your phone like a video to work on this site? It is upright on my computer.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    Yes, tilling is not advantageous.

It breaks up the existing microbiome. The good stuff that may be down there is brought to the surface to be oxygenated and penetrated with UV. It kills the good stuff.

Topdress. Compost, organic materials, wood chips, lasagna composting, worm castings, humanure, etc.

True. I had a great planting area that I destroyed through tilling before I knew better. Just built some raised beds to plant in to avoid my own damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom