• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Some of you may remember that I was debating on a selection of 3 different guns, a Sig 556, an M1A, and an M1a Scout (or SOCOM). I went with the M1A Scout (officially the M1AA9126). I picked it up on Friday, and will be going to the range today to send a few rounds down the tube.

Thanks for the input from y'all in making this decision. I am sure it is going to be a fun acquisition.

Report will follow after I get this rifle fully assessed.

Pauly3J

Oct 16, 2009
    My buddy got one a year ago, don't tell his wife. We took it to Elk Neck on a Friday morning. Some Marines were there having a "training day" i.e. goofing at the range. After about 5 minutes they had all wandered over and wanted a try. He put an Eotech sight, I believe a 512 on it and it is sweetness. Have fun!

Chris L

Bite me
    Oct 31, 2007
    Catonsville
    ThisThreadIsWorthless.jpg

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Well, at 100 yards these 54 year old eyes gave up after a few rounds, and I had a hard time focusing on the iron sights. We still continued to shoot (there was 3 of us), though, and went thru almost 2 75 round bandoliers, just playing around. Fora brief period, we went over to the 50 yard range, and I set up at 25 yards for close zero, and the first 3 rounds were right in the center at about a 1" grouping.

It was big fun...

PA310136.jpg

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Well, it comes with a 1 1/2" (approx) thick recoil pad, similar to a Pachmayr Decelerator. The trigger is military 2-stage, and it cycles really nicely, very smooth. The 7.62 NATO is a low recoil round in any event, but especially in a gas operated semi-auto. Even though specs say it is a 9 lb gun, it feels more like 8 with the synthetic stock. Like I said, Big Fun!

Norm

Cheers!

I've had my scout for about 6 years and have done a few things to it. The SEI vortex flash suppressor is superior the the unit installed. Also the SEI extended bolt release, SEI tritium front sight, SEI, gas block, sadlak Ti piston, and sadlak extended mag release are what I have found to really round out this great rifle. I've a Trijicon tri-power on mine and it shoots great.

YMMV.

Happy shooting.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    I don't read for a day or two and miss you taking out the M1A!!

Nice!!

I'm thinking maybe you get a good QD scope mount, and move your Leupold from the 35 Rem over to the M1A.
    You'll be able to "drop bombs" at 200 yards with the Looey on that rifle!

Whats the eye relief on your Leupold? Needs to be long eye relief if you set it up like a "Jeff Cooper" Scout rifle.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    The Leupold from the 336 wouldn't work as the eye relief is way too short. I am trying out a BSA I saw that according to the reviews stands up to hard recoil well. I have a BSA on my 10/22, and like it alot. We shall see when we get together to shoot this month, wont we, Mssr SkunkWerx?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Nice gun, I wish I had invested in one of these instead of the LR308 build I put together.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    Nice looking rifle! Get a Sadlak NM spring guide. The smooth action becomes an even smoother action. Doesn't require tools to change either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom