• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I couldn't agree more. For me, it's worthless just sitting. I drive it as much as I can so long as it's not raining and there is no salt on the roads.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I've owned several jeeps - 86 CJ7, 83 CJ7 w/ Chevy 350+TH 350, Qty 2 CJ2A's, and an 82 CJ8 which I still have.

Just my opinion, but looking for a jeep and looking for a shop to work on it just doesn't make sense. If you own or want to own one of these vehicles, in my opinion, you should plan to work on it, or learn to work on it. Its just part of the deal, and part of the reason for owning them. They're old, dead simple vehicles.

I think you'll tire of paying someone else to do the work, and eventually tire of it.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    I've owned several jeeps - 86 CJ7, 83 CJ7 w/ Chevy 350+TH 350, Qty 2 CJ2A's, and an 82 CJ8 which I still have.

Just my opinion, but looking for a jeep and looking for a shop to work on it just doesn't make sense. If you own or want to own one of these vehicles, in my opinion, you should plan to work on it, or learn to work on it. Its just part of the deal, and part of the reason for owning them. They're old, dead simple vehicles.

I think you'll tire of paying someone else to do the work, and eventually tire of it.

Have you ever added bench seating? In the CJ8 for example?

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Have you ever added bench seating? In the CJ8 for example?

No, but have been in one that had it. Years ago a buddy of mine had a wicked tricked out CJ2 built for him while he was overseas. We took it to Moab for the EJS and met a buddy if his from CA that had a back seat in his CJ8. The V6 in the CJ2 blew on the first trail and I spent the remainder of the week crammed into the back seat of the CJ8. Very uncomfortable.

I believe the CJ seat is nearly bolt in. You need the back seat out of a CJ7 and the brackets as well. I believe that CJ's had both fixed (earlier) and folding (later) rear seats. My CJ7 had a folding rear seat. My guess is that any YJ rear seat would work as well, but you can probably google that to verify.

Another way I've seen it done is to add two benches on each side of the bed. This is (was?) a common arrangement for the jeep tour companies in Sedona.

My own CJ8 (full hardtop - RARE!!!) spends its life in the barn and gets fired up in the winter a few times to skid some logs out of the woods.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Getting close.

Anyone know the merits / limits of a regular registration vs historical tags? As I understand it, historical vehicles are exempt from inspection but should not be used on highways. Anything else?

Will this 85 CJ8 have to go one way or the other? This one has a modest lift; is that a problem registration wise? Preclude me from highways? I test drive it to 60mph and it felt fine but I don’t plan on much (if any) highway use for safety reasons.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    You can drive it on the highway. You can't use it as a daily driver. A modest lift shouldn't be a problem.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    You can drive it on the highway. You can't use it as a daily driver. A modest lift shouldn't be a problem.

Are you referring to historic tags? If there is a daily driver restriction, why do people choose historic? To get the different looking tags? To avoid the inspection?

I don’t plan on using it as a DD but if I’m accepting some sort of restriction, I’d expect a break somewhere- be it sales tax rate or registration costs. If the thing can pass an inspection it’s probably better to go regular.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    The biggest benefit is not having the inspection. In VA it was a one time fee when I had Jeeps. So if inspection won't be a problem, I'd probably do the regular.

The restrictions are so open ended, they're not that restrictive. Just don't use it as a DD, and you'll be fine.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    No smog check either, which is a big deal with a CJ8. These vehicle were built right at the time smog restrictions were coming to pass. The systems, and the way they were implemented (primarily vacuum driven switches) sucked to say the least. They have no OBDII, so they required the tailpipe test.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    The paint overspray on the frame leads me to believe that is not a Jeep I'd be willing to throw $15k at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom