• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I've researched info on the Polyphasers & there seems to be conflicting opinions on using one on coax from a J Pole antenna. What's y'all's opinion?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I've researched info on the Polyphasers & there seems to be conflicting opinions on using one on coax from a J Pole antenna. What's y'all's opinion?

If it's an antenna that's mounted outside and the lead comes inside you need some type of lightning protection. When I researched this the minimum required nationally was grounding of the coax shield at the point where it entered the structure but this may not meet electrical or fire codes alone. I personally would never have an outside antenna without a lightning arrestor and good grounding system.

Last edited:

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Since the weather has not been cooperating with outside operations, I've been working on a home built J-pole. Actually two, one will go to my brother on the far coast.

Ran a sweep with an analyzer and then made a couple of contacts by making a quick pole of PVC bungy'd to a fence post. All looks good on UHF and VHF.

Used this link for guidance... http://w8usa.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Aluminum_J-Pole_Build.pdf

The hardest part was try to keep the threads on the poles concentric with the 3/8" rod centerlines.

Just waiting on the vinyl protective end caps to finish of the build. I plan to mount up on the roof/chimney eventually. Just need to figure out best way to run the line down and into the house... and grounding.

Attachments

• J_poles small.jpg
      J_poles small.jpg
      145.9 KB · Views: 232
    • J_poles small 2.jpg
      J_poles small 2.jpg
      178.6 KB · Views: 224

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Just waiting on the vinyl protective end caps to finish of the build. I plan to mount up on the roof/chimney eventually. Just need to figure out best way to run the line down and into the house... and grounding.

Dip in some liquid plastic/tool handle coating goop.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    There's a hamfest scheduled for May 27th at the Howard County Fairgrounds, with free testing.

http://www.marylandfm.org/Hamfest.htm

Any other members thinking about going to this on Sunday?

Post here if you want to meet up and grab a cup of coffee beforehand at the Town Grill at 0730. I plan on taking the free Technicians Test and registration starts at 830 so that should be enough time for a quick breakfast.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County

Post here if you want to meet up and grab a cup of coffee beforehand at the Town Grill at 0730. I plan on taking the free Technicians Test and registration starts at 830 so that should be enough time for a quick breakfast.

I just picked up a used IC-7300. I may need to sit this one out to avoid further transgressions to my budget.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012

I'll be going, as it'll be my first hamfest. Just looking to see what's for sale, I could use a good speaker I guess. Depends on how much cash I have left after Saturday's Gettysburg gun show.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I'm going to stop in, do the nickel tour and grab a replacement 2m NMO antenna for my truck, but I think you guys will be too early for me.

I’m not sure how long the test takes but if it starts at 9:00 I’ll probably finish up around 9:30 and then spend an hour or so looking around. Hopefully we’ll run into each other.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I passed my Technicians Exam today.

I just wanted to say thanks to K31 for putting this FAQ together. I’m sure that you have many many hours invested doing the original writeup and also continuing to stay involved and offering advice through the years.

I had gotten some helpful direction from Ed Shell too and I appreciate that as well.

Time to start researching some hardware.

Looking forward to learning more and I’ll probably set my sights on taking the General exam sometime in the next year.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    So I got this speaker at the hamfest. It needs a plug, but I don't know which wire goes where. How can I deduce which wire goes to the center conductor on the phono plug (or does it matter)?

Attachments

• speaker2.jpg
      speaker2.jpg
      87.2 KB · Views: 179
    • speaker1.jpg
      speaker1.jpg
      71.8 KB · Views: 181

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    For a speaker, you typically have just 1/8" jack, mono out of the radio. Those big three terminal jacks, are usually for a code key.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I passed my Technicians Exam today.

MAZEL TOV!

Today you are a Ham.

I just wanted to say thanks to K31 for putting this FAQ together. I’m sure that you have many many hours invested doing the original writeup and also continuing to stay involved and offering advice through the years.

You're too kind.

I had gotten some helpful direction from Ed Shell too and I appreciate that as well.

Ed is good people.

Time to start researching some hardware.

Looking forward to learning more and I’ll probably set my sights on taking the General exam sometime in the next year.

Since a lot of the information in the Tech is repeated in the General, don't wait too long.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    So I got this speaker at the hamfest. It needs a plug, but I don't know which wire goes where. How can I deduce which wire goes to the center conductor on the phono plug (or does it matter)?

It doesn't look like the speaker wire touches the cabinet so I would say for a monaural hookup it doesn't matter.

The plug is a 3 conductor (stereo type) though. Does the radio have a stereo output?

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I was using the phono plug only cuz it's on the front of the radio. The 1/8" is on the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom