• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is it legal or no?

• Yes (I am an instructor)

Votes: 23 29.9%
    • No (I am an instructor)

Votes: 8 10.4%
    • Yes no maybe, try a unicorn. (I'm not an instructor)

Votes: 46 59.7%

• Total voters

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    what I said was: it would make no sense to require MD W/C holder to carry on empty chamber when most MD W/C holders are armed guards or former LEO. "are you seriously telling me" is a rhetorical/sarcastic question addressed to the world. What comes after is usually a statement that is so obviously untrue that only MD gun grabber would believe it. Armed guards and retired LEO are not carrying on an empty chamber, end of story.

So, see how undetected sarcasm leads to misunderstanding? My theory is the OP is confused because the instructor addressed what they thought was a silly question with poorly received sarcasm. Asking "can I carry a loaded gun with my permit" in a CCW class seems silly to me. why is the student in the CCW class?? We dont say "Loaded Concealed Carry" because the "loaded" part is obvious.

Would have been better not to use the forum quote function in that case. Have a nice day.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    MY instructor said to carry w/ in chamber one AND carry a second magazine. Among other things. He was great. This other instructor was an instructor from another person. To be fair, that course covered MD W&C, Utah, and I think even DC permits. Perhaps there was some confusion of the laws/areas.

Goes to show you; review your local gun laws BEFORE you carry.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    MY instructor said to carry w/ in chamber one AND carry a second magazine. Among other things. He was great. This other instructor was an instructor from another person. To be fair, that course covered MD W&C, Utah, and I think even DC permits. Perhaps there was some confusion of the laws/areas.

Goes to show you; review your local gun laws BEFORE you carry.

Trust but verify; someone said that before.

jrh0341

Jul 20, 2017
    This gets debated a lot. Personally, I HATE the idea of condition 3 CCW weapon.

People worry about how much slower it is if you have to charge the weapon too. I say, worry less about how many seconds you have and more about how many HANDS you have.

If I'm forced to draw a weapon in public, there's a good chance its because I'm actually being attacked. Not like, "hey you gimme your keys". More like, you're going to open your door and one or two guys just straight up jumps you.

If that's how it goes down, I'd sure like to have that extra hand to try and shove a guy off to get some space or try and get a hand up to protect my head, instead of needing two hands to get my weapon in the fight, when I could have done it with one.

yes yes, I realize this is where someone will bring up a combat rack, but again, much slower and less smooth. The point is, it seems most people's concept of how quickly the can draw and fire "just like they practiced" involves an uncontested practice, without anyone else putting hands on them, even though a person you need to defend yourself from is quite likely going to be putting hands on you.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    So how in the hell do we have 6 people who say they are instructors saying it’s illegal to carry with one in the chamber? (According to the poll)

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    6 of You vote that it’s illegal yet you’re too scared to stand up and defend your vote. Pathetic cowards. And the OP needs to call out the idiot. I’m hate reading about f#ckery by the “professionals” around here when no one names names. By being nice, you allow the practice to continue and subject more people to the bad information. Maybe one (or more) of those people will die because of poor training or bad info.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I thought about that but it means we have 6 people here who don’t think it’s legal to CC with one in the pipe. Sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But does it really surprise you? Tons of bad info being doled out by misinformed instructors.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MocoJed

Nov 16, 2015
    Loco Moco
    I thought about that but it means we have 6 people here who don’t think it’s legal to CC with one in the pipe. Sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not an instructor, I did not vote, however, if you quickly read the thread title and vote, then you are answering opposite of the actual poll question. I am thinking 6 people read the thread title and skipped the poll question, and thus voted erroneously.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I am not an instructor, I did not vote, however, if you quickly read the thread title and vote, then you are answering opposite of the actual poll question. I am thinking 6 people read the thread title and skipped the poll question, and thus voted erroneously.

Actually thats a good point I did not notice. Based on the thread title "one in the chamber illegal..." the answer is no. I think 6 people answered the thread title.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Actually, original Colt and Remington cap and ball revolvers were designed to be carried with the hammer locked between two chambers of a fully loaded cylinder, using pins or recesses on the cylinder to lock the hammer. I think these are omitted from most reproductions, but my early Uberti Navy Colt has the pins, and my Remington style has the recesses.

My Uberti 1860 army repro has pins and recesses to allow mid cylinder resting.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    My Uberti 1860 army repro has pins and recesses to allow mid cylinder resting.

My 1859 Whitney has mid cylinder resting notches. It was one of the upgrades they did to their own guns when the Colt patents expired and they ceased manufacturing for Colt.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Israeli law is based on British Common Law and we all know how the Brits are when it comes to guns and sharp objects!

Off topic, but...

The Brits used to be very different than they are today. They came up with some really well designed small arms in the 19th Century, and used them ruthlessly and globally. Around the same time, they perfected use of this particularly gruesome means of dispatching unruly locals:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowing_from_a_gun

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    In the education world teachers are observed and evaluated, many times poorly, on their performance in the classroom. Even though the process is flawed there is a process to make sure teachers are teaching. It really bothers me how firearms instructors can be so wrong so many times and nothing is In Place to fix the issue. If instructors were observed or checked on by administrators such as senior instructors, etc. maybe we wouldn't have so much crap floating around and so many amazingly different methods and information being taught.

Other states have a common curriculum all instructors must follow, Maryland really didn't do a good job with ours.

Btw, nothing in the state law about condition of pistol while being carried. So get one in the pipe.

TD

Last edited:

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I can't even figure how this is debatable.

The bad guy always has the advantage.
    They know they are going to attack you before you do
    You have to be alert and prepared and hope for a break.
    I wouldn't deny myself the extra time and effort spent in charging a round...if I survived the first shot, stab or strike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom