• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I remember the two deer and you were done and also remember when they changed rifle season from one week to two weeks.
    Also had to enter a lottery to get a doe permit, antlerless deer weren’t an automatic, you had to get issued a doe permit, and Carroll County only issued something like 10 or 20 total county-wide among thousands of applicants. Needless to say, we never drew one. The only deer I EVER saw back then was does, up until 1990 I think it was when does were finally allowed in Carroll more liberally, but IIRC not until the Friday or Saturday (last 2 days of the one week long season). Finally the first time I could ever shoot a damn doe in the woods across the street from my parents’ house, 8 does came by followed by a big bodied 4 point. So yes, my first deer was a big bodied 4 point. Things are way, way better than back then. Honestly I wouldn’t still be hunting if I had to put up with that crap now, I’m too quickly discouraged these days. It doesn’t take me nearly as long to get sick of things these days.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Also had to enter a lottery to get a doe permit, antlerless deer weren’t an automatic, you had to get issued a doe permit, and Carroll County only issued something like 10 or 20 total county-wide among thousands of applicants. Needless to say, we never drew one. The only deer I EVER saw back then was does, up until 1990 I think it was when does were finally allowed in Carroll more liberally, but IIRC not until the Friday or Saturday (last 2 days of the one week long season). Finally the first time I could ever shoot a damn doe in the woods across the street from my parents’ house, 8 does came by followed by a big bodied 4 point. So yes, my first deer was a big bodied 4 point. Things are way, way better than back then. Honestly I wouldn’t still be hunting if I had to put up with that crap now, I’m too quickly discouraged these days. It doesn’t take me nearly as long to get sick of things these days.

I drew an anterless permit the second or third year and got a nice doe.My FIL said I could keep it in his freezer.When I called him to come get some,he told me his freezer went up and everything spoiled....:mad54::mad54::mad54:

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I am heading down the shore for the second week of firearm, which maybe a good thing from the reports we have heard. Only two shot in the whole club. The weather has not been great and most of the club does not stay too much past the first weekend. I plan on heading down Friday around lunch time and hunting Saturday morning. I am hoping to have better luck with less pressure and hopefully better weather.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Just found out my rifle zero got knocked off by three feet (took a shot on a coyote and saw the round splash three feet high). Glad I noticed now but pissed to think this is why I missed two deer Saturday. Zeroed and ready for pm. Here’s hoping for luck.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    You guys just mentioned sika in cecil? Any more info on that. That is huge.

Apparently the guy killed a spike while WT deer hunting. Supposedly took heat from others due to not identifying his target as a WT deer when he described his experience afterwards.
    DNR checked it in towards his bag limits without a problem.
    I had seen Sika in Caroline years before they were identified as a legal game animal and subsequently added into the game book handouts.
    As of now I don’t think there is a county/ region specific regulation for sika so they may be legal in all counties for at least breech loading firearms season.

I seen one the other night while exiting a box stand when I had my wife out with me. Right at dark I was watching some does with field glasses. Soon as I cleared my rifle I looked over at what I thought was the last set of tires on the irrigation which in fact was a stag that popped out at last light. Bout 80 yards away lol.
    Getting a lot of pictures on the trail cams of some nice six pointers in the field but always well after dark. Caught me entirely by surprise but it was clearly her fault for not using good situational awareness prior to exiting the gunning location.

She has now been formally demoted to reparations such as overseeing homemade potato soup, cash for feeder corn and purchasing her own field glasses.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Apparently the guy killed a spike while WT deer hunting. Supposedly took heat from others due to not identifying his target as a WT deer when he described his experience afterwards.
    DNR checked it in towards his bag limits without a problem.
    I had seen Sika in Caroline years before they were identified as a legal game animal and subsequently added into the game book handouts.
    As of now I don’t think there is a county/ region specific regulation for sika so they may be legal in all counties for at least breech loading firearms season.

I seen one the other night while exiting a box stand when I had my wife out with me. Right at dark I was watching some does with field glasses. Soon as I cleared my rifle I looked over at what I thought was the last set of tires on the irrigation which in fact was a stag that popped out at last light. Bout 80 yards away lol.
    Getting a lot of pictures on the trail cams of some nice six pointers in the field but always well after dark. Caught me entirely by surprise but it was clearly her fault for not using good situational awareness prior to exiting the gunning location.

She has now been formally demoted to reparations such as overseeing homemade potato soup, cash for feeder corn and purchasing her own field glasses.

Yeah there are no county restrictions for Sika. Separate bag limit for them. Hopefully they’ll keep on spreading. I’ve heard they are very good eating. One of these days...

Probably not this year as I am pretty certain I won’t be doing my annual Eastern shore hunt.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Yeah, Sika used to be legal in a few counties only then finally Caroline was added in a few years ago. Now it appears the language has changed because they're spreading out.
    Best way to get them completely spread out is to continue hunting them.

I seen some small bucks this evening but let them go.They came in at different times scent checking for does. Only one doe came out to whats left of the CP after it was raided last evening by about five or six of them at 4 o'clock.

I also seen some jet fighters come over the clear cut from behind around 3:30 pretty low. It was two of them, the one in front had the wingtips vertical to the ground as he veered left in behind the other one as they passed through. That was pretty cool to see. I hope they do it every day to help get the deer moving because it wasn't very long afterward that they started popping out.

Image-1-1.jpg

Small buck 5.jpg

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Would love to see them make it to Baltimore County in sufficient numbers to add some bugeling to the mornings.

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    After 2 1/2 years of chasing this bruiser, I was finally able to put the 700ml to work and close the deal last wed evening.

Attachments

• 1201191338.jpg
      1201191338.jpg
      62.5 KB · Views: 326
    • IMG_2705.jpg
      IMG_2705.jpg
      103.7 KB · Views: 316

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I’ve been wanting to take my grandfathers gamemaster out for a while and just never got around to digging it out. Finally dusted it off tonight and took a hell of a nice doe with it.

Attachments

• D424C2A2-379F-457A-A595-A7865BA8D150.jpg
      D424C2A2-379F-457A-A595-A7865BA8D150.jpg
      158.7 KB · Views: 317

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads