• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    'Tis true -- During firearms season, I take the longest path possible from where I park in the right-of-way beside a public road, over to my hunting spot, which is not far from the MoCo democrat transplant enclave that is the Villages of Urbana, with my rifle in full display. And yes it is true that if I'm about to cross the street into the woods and I hear a car coming, I usually wait until it gets close enough so that the folks inside can see me. Those people moved to a (at one time) more rural part of the county because they liked what was there, right? That rural lifestyle surely includes seeing men dressed as a tree carrying a gun, right?

Well, during yesterday's 2A display I got to meet one Sheriff Jenkins' finest. You can expect Jan Gardner to push for more gun control in the county, because it turns out that a house had just been hit twice with bullets (surprisingly, no mention of it in today's Frederick News Post). He was responding to the call, so naturally a MWAG in the vicinity got his attention.

I did choose to talk to him, since it was pretty clear that a MWAG near the site of a recent shooting would likely hear "Yes" to the question of "Am I being detained, sir?" About the first thing I said was that I was afraid that I had been stopped because I had a gun, to which he warmed my heart by saying "No sir, long gun open carry is legal." He checked my paperwork, made small talk to see if he could trip me up on my story of having just arrived on scene, and admired my (partly home-made) gun "Hey! is that one of those unserialized ghost guns?!" I said "Yep, the Washington Post byline will be 'Furloughed feds resort to hunting for food with ghost guns during Trump shutdown'" to which he chuckled before sending me on my merry way.

A very professional encounter all in all, if you forgive him from initially mistaking my (green plastic) ballistic tip hollow points for armor piercing ammo.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    One of the deputies who covers Villages of Urbana is one of us (probably not a poster here - but would be solidly pro-2A - knowing his local upbringing and dad). I'm sure others are too, and Sheriff Jenkins likely sets the tone.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Welcome back Patriot brother!!!

Yup.

Regarding open carry of long guns, I recently bought a Winchester Model 12 skeet gun from a poster here. Picked it up at AGC, no case, so I wrapped it in a jacket and drove to Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring to get a case.

Didn't want to leave it in the car in SS(!), so I carried it into the shop, action open. Guy at the counter got slightly agitated; I handed it over to him immediately to keep everyone calm. He was literally shocked that I would carry a gun openly in the area. (I parked directly across the street from the shop).

BGOS abounds.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Yup.

Regarding open carry of long guns, I recently bought a Winchester Model 12 skeet gun from a poster here. Picked it up at AGC, no case, so I wrapped it in a jacket and drove to Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring to get a case.

Didn't want to leave it in the car in SS(!), so I carried it into the shop, action open. Guy at the counter got slightly agitated; I handed it over to him immediately to keep everyone calm. He was literally shocked that I would carry a gun openly in the area. (I parked directly across the street from the shop).

BGOS abounds.

Silver Spring is close enough to Rockville. Rockville, Baltimore, and Leonardtown are the 3 jurisdictions that have casing ordinances.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Ghost long gun? They didn't consider it an "assault weapon"? I suspected that they would call any AR an assault weapon... what did i miss?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Silver Spring is close enough to Rockville. Rockville, Baltimore, and Leonardtown are the 3 jurisdictions that have casing ordinances.

10+ miles away. Pretty stretchable ordinance.

Seemed wiser overall to buy the case before hauling the gun into the house. Takoma Park has gone far downhill from the 1970s, when I could clean my shotguns on the front porch without getting SWATted, or ERPO'd

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom